• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Historic Bible pages put online

Enlighten

As usual I was reading the news and came accross an article about Historic Bible pages that are 1,600 year old being published.

About 800 pages of the earliest surviving Christian Bible have been recovered and put on the internet.Visitors to the website www.codexsinaiticus.org can now see images of more than half the 1,600-year-old Codex Sinaiticus manuscript.
Fragments of the 4th Century document - written in Greek on parchment leaves - have been worked on by institutions in the UK, Germany, Egypt and Russia.
Experts say it is "a window into the development of early Christianity".

Link to full article: BBC NEWS | Special Reports | Historic Bible pages put online

So... got me thinking. I thought I'd dig on well known verses to see where (if any) differences lay..

Everyone knows this one:

John 3:16 (King James Version)
16For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life."

So searched on the manuscript and it came up with this:

16 In this we have known the love, because he laid down his life for us; and we ought to lay down our lives for the brethren.

Now, I know there are many on this site more "read" than I am so I would like to ask if anyone can see how these two quotes of the same book, chapter and verse of the Bible can be soooo different? I know we have things like translation etc to take into consideration but I mean to me they are two different messages so I dont understand how this one verse could be soooooo lost in translation.

I know many will want to answer me simply with things along the lines of "because its made up trash" etc. but please don't do this (on this one occassion :flower2: pretty please) as I would like to hear genuine explanations if any are at all possible.

The reason I chose to search on this one verse and not any other was my grandfather who was terminally ill with cancer (he is now passed on) started saying this verse time and time again on his death bed, my grandfather was not a religious man at all so this is why it stuck in my head so much. So at his funeral the minister included this verse in his speech although he changed the words to fit in my granfathers name (instead of saying "the world" he said my grandfathers name, which may sound corny but it was very touching for the family considering the weeks leading to his death.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Now, I know there are many on this site more "read" than I am so I would like to ask if anyone can see how these two quotes of the same book, chapter and verse of the Bible can be soooo different?
<yawn> different transmission history </yawn>

Enlighten

Parenthetically, Sinaiticus; John 3:16 ...
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whoever believes on him might not perish, but have life eternal.​

The link doesn't work.

EDIT: All it gives is the home page to the website. I don't get your point of posting the verse I quoted above either?? Please explain... without being a smart-alec! ;)

Last edited:

Oberon

About 800 pages of the earliest surviving Christian Bible have been recovered and put on the internet.
I think it is important to point out that we have earlier witnesses to various parts of the Bible. For example, the Codex vaticanus (which is almost as complete) is earlier than the codex Sinaiticus, and that's without getting into papyri.

now when skynet goes online he will terminate every last human out of pity :D

Enlighten

I think it is important to point out that we have earlier witnesses to various parts of the Bible. For example, the Codex vaticanus (which is almost as complete) is earlier than the codex Sinaiticus, and that's without getting into papyri.

Eh? in simple terms please... to me the Bible is the Bible and the books of the Bible should remain un-changed a verse from one version to the next should contain the same core and message.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
The link doesn't work.

EDIT: All it gives is the home page to the website. I don't get your point of posting the verse I quoted above either?? Please explain... without being a smart-alec! ;)
In the upper right you will see a "GO TO: (Book)" drop down menu.
Select 'John' (the one after Luke).
Select Chapter 3.

HINT: The link works. There is a difference between John 3:16 and 1 John 3:16.

Shalom ...

Enlighten

In the upper right you will see a "GO TO: (Book)" drop down menu.
Select 'John' (the one after Luke).
Select Chapter 3.

HINT: The link works. There is a difference between John 3:16 and 1 John 3:16.

Shalom ...

Ok cool, phew! I get it now, it wont allow me to do that for some reason but I believe you I keep getting re-directed to the passage I quoted (my net is really slow today so this may have something to do with it) Thank you! :D My very observant mind :rolleyes:after a very long shift didn't notice I was getting 1 John and not John...

And thanks for at least keeping your sarcasm to a bear minimum in this response. :p

eh? In simple terms please... To me the bible is the bible and the books of the bible should remain un-changed a verse from one version to the next should contain the same core and message.

hi enlighten,...dont be surprised,according to "reuters" the world's oldest bible .... "includes numerous revisions,additions and corrections made during its evolution through the ages"....so dont be to sure about your bible girl. The oldest itself is not the original.

Oberon

Eh? in simple terms please... to me the Bible is the Bible and the books of the Bible should remain un-changed a verse from one version to the next should contain the same core and message.

We have thousands of various texts of the NT. The oldest is a credit card sized scrap of John written on papyrus called p52. Two of our oldest and most complete greek texts of the bible are the Codex Vaticanus and the Codex Sinaiticus, but there are many others (in latin, greek, gothic, syriac, etc).