• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Historical Accuracy of the Bible

logician

Please support that nonsense.

No prob.

"
Although Christian apologists have listed a number of ancient historians who allegedly were witnesses to the existence of Jesus, the only two that consistently are cited are Josephus, a Pharisee, and Tacitus, a pagan. Since Josephus was born in the year 37 CE, and Tacitus was born in 55, neither could have been an eye-witness of Jesus, who supposedly was crucified in 30 CE. So we could really end our article here. But someone might claim that these historians nevertheless had access to reliable sources, now lost, which recorded the existence and execution of our friend JC. So it is desirable that we take a look at these two supposed witnesses.

In the case of Josephus, whose Antiquities of the Jews was written in 93 CE, about the same time as the gospels, we find him saying some things quite impossible for a good Pharisee to have said:
About this time, there lived Jesus, a wise man, if indeed one ought to call him a man. For he was one who wrought surprising feats and was a teacher of such people as accept the truth gladly. He won over many Jews and many of the Greeks. He was the Messiah. When Pilate, upon hearing him accused by men of the highest standing amongst us, had condemned him to be crucified, those who had in the first place come to love him did not give up their affection for him. On the third day he appeared to them restored to life, for the prophets of God had prophesied these and countless other marvelous things about him. And the tribe of the Christians, so called after him, has still to this day not disappeared. 12
Now no loyal Pharisee would say Jesus had been the Messiah. That Josephus could report that Jesus had been restored to life "on the third day" and not be convinced by this astonishing bit of information is beyond belief. Worse yet is the fact that the story of Jesus is intrusive in Josephus' narrative and can be seen to be an interpolation even in an English translation of the Greek text. Right after the wondrous passage quoted above, Josephus goes on to say, "About the same time also another sad calamity put the Jews into disorder..." Josephus had previously been talking about awful things Pilate had done to the Jews in general, and one can easily understand why an interpolator would have chosen this particular spot. But his ineptitude in not changing the wording of the bordering text left a "literary seam" (what rhetoricians might term aporia) that sticks out like a pimpled nose.

The fact that Josephus was not convinced by this or any other Christian claim is clear from the statement of the church father Origen (ca. 185-ca. 154 CE) - who dealt extensively with Josephus - that Josephus did not believe in Jesus as the Messiah, i.e., as "the Christ." Moreover, the disputed passage was never cited by early Christian apologists such as Clement of Alexandria (ca.150-ca. 215 CE), who certainly would have made use of such ammunition had he had it! The first person to make mention of this obviously forged interpolation into the text of Josephus' history was the church father Eusebius, in 324 CE.

"""It is quite likely that Eusebius himself did some of the forging."""

As late as 891, Photius in his Bibliotheca, which devoted three "Codices" to the works of Josephus, shows no awareness of the passage whatsoever even though he reviews the sections of the Antiquities in which one would expect the disputed passage to be found. Clearly, the testimonial was absent from his copy of Antiquities of the Jews. 13 The question can probably be laid to rest by noting that as late as the sixteenth century, according to Rylands, 14 a scholar named Vossius had a manuscript of Josephus from which the passage was wanting. "

Did Jesus Exist -- The Probing Mind

rojse

RF Addict
If we were after serious evidence of Bible prophecy, where are the predictions of the September 11 attacks in there? The invention of the atomic bomb? I think that these are significant events that are worth mentioning by any serious future forcaster. Or how about mentioning some famous names throughout history - Issac Newton, Albert Einstein, or Christopher Columbus? There could be no possible dispute about these predictions, could there, especially given their significance within history.

But if you want to look at ambiguously worded predictions, which are open for interpretation, we are allowed to question the accuracy of them, just as we are allowed to question the predictions of Nostradamus or any other person that makes predictions about the future.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Truth Can Withstand Investigation

Unfortunately, so can denial depending on how dillusional the investigater is.

Doesn't seem like any of you are interested in Truth, as it relates to the Bibles Historical accuracy.

Then why do you insist on boring us with it?

Especially since Bible prophecy is taking place as we speak.

Look Irvin, until you actually address the whole Ezechiel/Tyre issue with something besides "I can't see it and you can't make me!" I'm just going to assume your doctors got your meds wrong this month and put you on my pay-no-mind list (as it appears wiser folks than I already have).

d.n.irvin

Unfortunately, so can denial depending on how dillusional the investigater is.

Then why do you insist on boring us with it?

Look Irvin, until you actually address the whole Ezechiel/Tyre issue with something besides "I can't see it and you can't make me!" I'm just going to assume your doctors got your meds wrong this month and put you on my pay-no-mind list (as it appears wiser folks than I already have).

The Burden of proof is on you, not me. I know that Bible prophecy is 100% reliable, and I have given proof with Biblical and Historical facts to attest to this. So until you can address us with some proof of your claims, tell us why you refuse to comment on the Historical Accuracy of the 1260 Day Prophecy.

d.n.irvin

How one could ever find any Bible Prophecy boring, is beyond me - But here is some interesting information. Did you know the "300" have a reference in Biblical Prophecy.

d.n.irvin

If we were after serious evidence of Bible prophecy, where are the predictions of the September 11 attacks in there? The invention of the atomic bomb? I think that these are significant events that are worth mentioning by any serious future forcaster. Or how about mentioning some famous names throughout history - Issac Newton, Albert Einstein, or Christopher Columbus? There could be no possible dispute about these predictions, could there, especially given their significance within history.

But if you want to look at ambiguously worded predictions, which are open for interpretation, we are allowed to question the accuracy of them, just as we are allowed to question the predictions of Nostradamus or any other person that makes predictions about the future.
To comment on your first paragraph: none of those things you mentioned are vital to Mankinds salvation So my question is, why would God show favoritism?

Second paragraph, I don't know what prophecies we as a people have been studying, the prophecies that I have studied are frighteningly accurate.

Read Daniel and Revelation, then compare 150 years of History, or just turn on the TV, look out of your window.

End of Days

Nothing is more
frightening to the sinner than "Judgment Day" - and not being ready for it.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Jay said:
wanderer085 said:
Most scholars think the XIan bishop Eusabius was the source of the Josephus forgeries, written to try to make a little history that was not there of the Jesus myth that was created.
No prob.

"
Although Christian apologists have listed a number of ancient historians who allegedly were witnesses to the existence of Jesus, the only two that consistently are cited are Josephus, a Pharisee, and Tacitus, a pagan. Since Josephus was born in the year 37 CE, and Tacitus was born in 55, neither could have been an eye-witness of Jesus, who supposedly was crucified in 30 CE. So we could really end our article here. But someone might claim that these historians nevertheless had access to reliable sources, now lost, which recorded the existence and execution of our friend JC. So it is desirable that we take a look at these two supposed witnesses.

In the case of Josephus, whose Antiquities of the Jews was written in 93 CE, about the same time as the gospels, we find him saying some things quite impossible for a good Pharisee to have said:
About this time, there lived Jesus, a wise man, if indeed one ought to call him a man. For he was one who wrought surprising feats and was a teacher of such people as accept the truth gladly. He won over many Jews and many of the Greeks. He was the Messiah. When Pilate, upon hearing him accused by men of the highest standing amongst us, had condemned him to be crucified, those who had in the first place come to love him did not give up their affection for him. On the third day he appeared to them restored to life, for the prophets of God had prophesied these and countless other marvelous things about him. And the tribe of the Christians, so called after him, has still to this day not disappeared. 12
Now no loyal Pharisee would say Jesus had been the Messiah. That Josephus could report that Jesus had been restored to life "on the third day" and not be convinced by this astonishing bit of information is beyond belief. Worse yet is the fact that the story of Jesus is intrusive in Josephus' narrative and can be seen to be an interpolation even in an English translation of the Greek text. Right after the wondrous passage quoted above, Josephus goes on to say, "About the same time also another sad calamity put the Jews into disorder..." Josephus had previously been talking about awful things Pilate had done to the Jews in general, and one can easily understand why an interpolator would have chosen this particular spot. But his ineptitude in not changing the wording of the bordering text left a "literary seam" (what rhetoricians might term aporia) that sticks out like a pimpled nose.

The fact that Josephus was not convinced by this or any other Christian claim is clear from the statement of the church father Origen (ca. 185-ca. 154 CE) - who dealt extensively with Josephus - that Josephus did not believe in Jesus as the Messiah, i.e., as "the Christ." Moreover, the disputed passage was never cited by early Christian apologists such as Clement of Alexandria (ca.150-ca. 215 CE), who certainly would have made use of such ammunition had he had it! The first person to make mention of this obviously forged interpolation into the text of Josephus' history was the church father Eusebius, in 324 CE.

"""It is quite likely that Eusebius himself did some of the forging."""

As late as 891, Photius in his Bibliotheca, which devoted three "Codices" to the works of Josephus, shows no awareness of the passage whatsoever even though he reviews the sections of the Antiquities in which one would expect the disputed passage to be found. Clearly, the testimonial was absent from his copy of Antiquities of the Jews. 13 The question can probably be laid to rest by noting that as late as the sixteenth century, according to Rylands, 14 a scholar named Vossius had a manuscript of Josephus from which the passage was wanting. "

Did Jesus Exist -- The Probing Mind
And how does this constitute evidence that
"Most scholars think the XIan bishop Eusabius was the source of the Josephus forgeries, written to try to make a little history that was not there of the Jesus myth that was created."
You are simply not very good at this, wanderer085, perhaps because you religiously confuse your presuppositions with scholarly consensus.

One of the better online discussions of Josephus and TF continues to be Kirby's Testimonium Flavianum where we read:
Opinion on the authenticity of this passage is varied. Louis H. Feldman surveyed the relevant literature from 1937 to 1980 in Josephus and Modern Scholarship. Feldman noted that 4 scholars regarded the Testimonium Flavianum as entirely genuine, 6 as mostly genuine, 20 accept it with some interpolations, 9 with several interpolations, and 13 regard it as being totally an interpolation.

In my own reading of thirteen books since 1980 that touch upon the passage, ten out of thirteen argue the Testimonium to be partly genuine, while the other three maintain it to be entirely spurious. Coincidentally, the same three books also argue that Jesus did not exist. In one book, by Freke and Gandy, the authors go so far as to state that no "serious scholar" believes that the passage has authenticity (p. 137), which is a serious misrepresentation indeed.
I'm more than happy to let the readers of this thread choose between Kirby's survey and your absurd claims.

Those interested in a more thorough survey and evaluation are encouraged to read Alice Whealey.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
The Burden of proof is on you, not me. I know that Bible prophecy is 100% reliable, and I have given proof with Biblical and Historical facts to attest to this. So until you can address us with some proof of your claims,...

What's to prove? Ezechiel 26 predicted (among other things) that Tyre would be destroyed by Nebuchadnezzer, that it would become; Ezch.14:"..a bare rock, a drying place for nets.; you shall be built no more"

Never happened. King Neb laid seige to Tyre for 13 years unsuccesfully then finally gave up and went home.

And 19: "For thus says the Lord to Tyre: When I shall make you a desolate city: like the cities that are not inhabited; when I shall bring up the deep upon you, and great waters will cover you".

Also never happened; Tyre has been continually inhabited from way before Ezechiel up until this day.

And 21: "I will give you to destruction, you will be sought for, yet you will not be found again for ever, says the Lord God".

Well, there you go. Now, what part of "didn't happen" are you having a problem with?

d.n.irvin

What's to prove? Ezechiel 26 predicted (among other things) that Tyre would be destroyed by Nebuchadnezzer, that it would become; Ezch.14:"..a bare rock, a drying place for nets.; you shall be built no more"

Never happened. King Neb laid seige to Tyre for 13 years unsuccesfully then finally gave up and went home.

And 19: "For thus says the Lord to Tyre: When I shall make you a desolate city: like the cities that are not inhabited; when I shall bring up the deep upon you, and great waters will cover you".

Also never happened; Tyre has been continually inhabited from way before Ezechiel up until this day.

And 21: "I will give you to destruction, you will be sought for, yet you will not be found again for ever, says the Lord God".

Well, there you go. Now, what part of "didn't happen" are you having a problem with?
17 In the twenty-seventh year, in the first month on the first day, the word of the LORD came to me: 18 "Son of man, Nebuchadnezzar king of Babylon drove his army in a hard campaign against Tyre; every head was rubbed bare and every shoulder made raw. Ezekiel 29:17,18
In the seven and twentieth year — Of Jeconiah's captivity, the year after the conquest of Tyre. John Wesley’s Explanatory Notes
The besiegers of Tyre obtained little plunder. But when God employs ambitious or covetous men, he will recompense them according to the desires of their hearts; for every man shall have his reward. God had mercy in store for the house of Israel soon after. The history of nations best explains ancient prophecies. All events fulfil the Scriptures. Thus, in the deepest scenes of adversity, the Lord sows the seed of our future prosperity. Happy are those who desire his favour, grace, and image; they will delight in his service, and not covet any earthly recompence; and the blessings they have chosen shall be sure to them for ever. Matthew Henry’s Concise Commentary
Be diligent in your studies-the other text, are out of context my friend, consult your Jewish history.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
17 In the twenty-seventh year, in the first month on the first day, the word of the LORD came to me: 18 "Son of man, Nebuchadnezzar king of Babylon drove his army in a hard campaign against Tyre; every head was rubbed bare and every shoulder made raw. Ezekiel 29:17,18Be diligent in your studies-the other text, are out of context my friend, consult your Jewish history.

You're making no sense at all here. Yes Nebuchadnezzar besieged Tyre, I already pointed that out. The "every head was rubbed bare and every shoulder made raw" is a reference to the state of Nebuchadnezzar's men, not the occupants of Tyre.

I can't make it any more simple than I already have; Ezeckiel predicted the complete destruction of Tyre and it didn't happen.

How and in what way were the verses I quoted out of context?

And what does that misleading little morality sermon you quoted have to do with anything? You might as well have posted a paragraph from Lord of the Rings for all that had to do with what we're talking about.

Do you really think anything you just posted addresses any of the points I brought up?

d.n.irvin

You're making no sense at all here. Yes Nebuchadnezzar besieged Tyre, I already pointed that out. The "every head was rubbed bare and every shoulder made raw" is a reference to the state of Nebuchadnezzar's men, not the occupants of Tyre.
Wrong

I can't make it any more simple than I already have; Ezeckiel predicted the complete destruction of Tyre and it didn't happen.
Wrong

How and in what way were the verses I quoted out of context?
Your didn't read far enough. Ezch.14 And 19: And 21 are all taken out of context if you do not include chapter 29

And what does that misleading little morality sermon you quoted have to do with anything? You might as well have posted a paragraph from Lord of the Rings for all that had to do with what we're talking about.

Do you really think anything you just posted addresses any of the points I brought up?[/quote]
The point is your information is bogus. Ezekiel 29 speaks on the destruction of Tyre, and how God rewarded the armies for doing it.

Now lets have alook at the reliable 1260 Day prophecy, if your not afarid of the Truth.

BTW: The subject of this thread deals with the Historical Accuracy of the Bible. You will have to study the Bible before you run around making false claims.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Your didn't read far enough. Ezch.14 And 19: And 21 are all taken out of context if you do not include chapter 29
I'm not sure how that changes anything. Ezekiel 26 gives a prophecy that Nebuchadnezzar would conquer Tyre... it actually says that his war horses will ride down Tyre's streets.

Chapter 29 says that because Nebuchadnezzar didn't conquer Tyre, God would give him Egypt instead. While it could be construed as restoring some sort of balance, it doesn't change the fact that the prophecied events of Chapter 26 didn't happen.

BTW: The subject of this thread deals with the Historical Accuracy of the Bible. You will have to study the Bible before you run around making false claims.
Yes, apparently making proper false claims takes years of hard work. :D

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
]Wrong[/B][/COLOR]

Wow! what an insightful and indepth rebutal!

Wrong[/COLOR][/B]

Lol! I see; if history doesn't agree with you, write your own.;)

Ezch.14 And 19: And 21 are all taken out of context if you do not include chapter 29

Does it matter to you at all if what you say makes any sense? Rhetorical question. Obviously it doesn't.

The point is your information is bogus. Ezekiel 29 speaks on the destruction of Tyre, and how God rewarded the armies for doing it.

Up til now I just thought you were wrong. Now I'm pretty sure your insane.

Newsflash Einstien; Tyre is still there It never was destroyed.

I admire the fact that you don't let history or geography get in the way of your opinions.

I see. And how long did you have to study the bible before you started running around making false claims?

D.N.Irvin said:
Now lets have alook at the reliable 1260 Day prophecy, if your not afarid of the Truth.

Like I said before, you'll have to address the Ezekiel/Tyre issue with something more substantial than "I don't want it to be true therefore it isn't" before I let you change the subject.

Note: We should move this discussion back into the "Is Bible Prophesy Reliable" thread where it started (and try not to run away this time. Getting spanked in your own thread is no excuse for spamming someone else's).

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm not sure how that changes anything. Ezekiel 26 gives a prophecy that Nebuchadnezzar would conquer Tyre... it actually says that his war horses will ride down Tyre's streets.

Chapter 29 says that because Nebuchadnezzar didn't conquer Tyre, God would give him Egypt instead. While it could be construed as restoring some sort of balance, it doesn't change the fact that the prophecied events of Chapter 26 didn't happen.

I think Irvin's whole point here, Penguin, is "Lets pretend it did anyway".

Yes, apparently making proper false claims takes years of hard work. :D

Lol! No doubt.

logician

"Most scholars think the XIan bishop Eusabius was the source of the Josephus forgeries, written to try to make a little history that was not there of the Jesus myth that was created."
You are simply not very good at this, wanderer085, perhaps because you religiously confuse your presuppositions with scholarly consensus.

One of the better online discussions of Josephus and TF continues to be Kirby's Testimonium Flavianum where we read:I'm more than happy to let the readers of this thread choose between Kirby's survey and your absurd claims.

Those interested in a more thorough survey and evaluation are encouraged to read Alice Whealey.

Every "scholar" has an axe to grind, just like you.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Jay said:
Jay said:
wanderer085 said:
Most scholars think the XIan bishop Eusabius was the source of the Josephus forgeries, written to try to make a little history that was not there of the Jesus myth that was created.
No prob. ...

One of the better online discussions of Josephus and TF continues to be Kirby's Testimonium Flavianum where we read:
Opinion on the authenticity of this passage is varied. Louis H. Feldman surveyed the relevant literature from 1937 to 1980 in Josephus and Modern Scholarship. Feldman noted that 4 scholars regarded the Testimonium Flavianum as entirely genuine, 6 as mostly genuine, 20 accept it with some interpolations, 9 with several interpolations, and 13 regard it as being totally an interpolation.

In my own reading of thirteen books since 1980 that touch upon the passage, ten out of thirteen argue the Testimonium to be partly genuine, while the other three maintain it to be entirely spurious. Coincidentally, the same three books also argue that Jesus did not exist. In one book, by Freke and Gandy, the authors go so far as to state that no "serious scholar" believes that the passage has authenticity (p. 137), which is a serious misrepresentation indeed.
I'm more than happy to let the readers of this thread choose between Kirby's survey and your absurd claims.

Every "scholar" has an axe to grind, just like you.
Once again, how does your post constitute evidence that
"Most scholars think the XIan bishop Eusabius was the source of the Josephus forgeries, written to try to make a little history that was not there of the Jesus myth that was created"?​
I doubt that your transparent efforts to evade the question fools anyone ...

logician

Correction

"Most UNBIASED scholars think the XIan bishop Eusabius was the source of the Josephus forgeries, written to try to make a little history that was not there of the Jesus myth that was created"?"

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Correction

"Most UNBIASED scholars think the XIan bishop Eusabius was the source of the Josephus forgeries, written to try to make a little history that was not there of the Jesus myth that was created"?"
That drivel is no more accurate or defensible than your previous and utterly worthless prognosis. The only bias here is yours. I welcome any effort on your part to substantiate your claim.

d.n.irvin

RE: I would like to address Penguin and Quagmire in the same post

I guess it all depends upon your interpretation of the word 'conquer'

17 In the twenty-seventh year, in the first month on the first day, the word of the LORD came to me: 18 "Son of man, Nebuchadnezzar king of Babylon drove his army in a hard campaign against Tyre; every head was rubbed bare and every shoulder made raw. Ezekiel 29:17,18
Chapter 29 says that because Nebuchadnezzar didn't conquer Tyre,
In the seven and twentieth year — Of Jeconiah's captivity, the year after the conquest of Tyre. John Wesley’s Explanatory Notes
God would give him Egypt instead.
I think the inference is on Him not getting much out of it-(spoil, plunder, etc.) Here is a quote from 'Jerome' " Jerome asserts, on the authority of the Assyrian histories, that when the Trojans saw their city must fall, they put their most valuable effects on board their ships, and fled with them to the islands, and their colonies, `so that the city being taken, Nebuchadnezzar found nothing worthy of his labour.'"TSK
While it could be construed as restoring some sort of balance, it doesn't change the fact
that the prophecied events of Chapter 26 didn't happen.
The Bible states that indeed- it did happen
Yes, apparently making
As I have stated in other posts, I accept the Word of God over the words of men.
If you have any other information to the contrary to be investigated, please present it, so that we all can review it.