• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Holding claims to Truth

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
It dawned on me, well, it didn't really dawned on me, more like hit me in the head that, I won't say all, many Christians feel they hold the claims to the Truth. Have you noticed that when you debate Christianity, the pendulum seems to slide towards the Christian's claim even though the other party, the non-Christian has his or her own right to express the truth not his truth and back it up by his scripture, studies, or so have you?

There is only one Truth and many people come to it in different ways. Some say that Truth is Christ. Some say that Truth is The Goddess. Some say Truth is peace that resolves within us without no outside influence (inside out rather than outside in). We cannot all hold the claims to Truth.

How do we debate our beliefs with others if some of us do not want to understand and take into consideration the other person's belief rather than trying to defend their own?

There are many beliefs. Each belief leads us to the Truth; no one has claims to what method is the right one for another person only for himself.

Last edited:

rusra02

Premium Member
It dawned on me, well, it didn't really dawned on me, more like hit me in the head that, I won't say all, many Christians feel they hold the claims to the Truth. Have you noticed that when you debate Christianity, the pendulum seems to slide towards the Christian's claim even though the other party, the non-Christian has his or her own right to express the truth not his truth and back it up by his scripture, studies, or so have you?

There is only one Truth and many people come to it in different ways. Some say that Truth is Christ. Some say that Truth is The Goddess. Some say Truth is peace that resolves within us without no outside influence (inside out rather than outside in). We cannot all hold the claims to Truth.

How do we debate our beliefs with others if some of us do not want to understand and take into consideration the other person's belief rather than trying to defend their own?

There are many beliefs. Each belief leads us to the Truth; no one has claims to what method is the right one for another person only for himself.
Well, a person may want to believe something but does that make it true? For example, millions followed Hitler, believing him to be endowed as Leader or Fuerher with ability to create a thousand year rulership. Was their trust in this evil dictator justified? Where did it lead them? What about the professed Christians who burned thousands at the stake? Or those religions that offered human sacrifices? Are their beliefs true? What of Muslims who mercilessly slaughter those whose beliefs differ from theirs? IMO, lies lead to evil acts. The truth does not change because we choose to believe a lie.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
The truth does not change because we choose to believe a lie.

Exactly. As long as we treat ourselves and others in a respectful way (rather than what Hitler and the Church did), then whatever truth people claim is right would be their opinion. As long as a Christian puts their Truth over the person they are speaking with either implied or directed, the burden of whose right or wrong falls on the person they are attacking. That is not right. Everyone should have a right to defend themselves (providing their own scripture to argue their point). Christianity doesn't rule the word; there's just a lot of Christians in it.

rumitoid

Truth is too quick to be caught yet remains ever still. Who and what I am in the moment is the only truth and it is not known but lived. Contradictions and anomalies have as much place in truth as precepts and absolutes. There is no way to neatly package it or sell it, as truth is also always new. It is breathed, a mixed media work in progress, perpetual and never finished. For many believers, once they have the essentials of doctrine and dogma down, faith becomes holding those things as truth and sharing those things in witness. But true faith, to me, is a process and not a pamphlet.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I like that. Truth is ever changing: "But true faith, to me, is a process and not a pamphlet." That's something to put up on your wall or something.

Thank you.

Truth is too quick to be caught yet remains ever still. Who and what I am in the moment is the only truth and it is not known but lived. Contradictions and anomalies have as much place in truth as precepts and absolutes. There is no way to neatly package it or sell it, as truth is also always new. It is breathed, a mixed media work in progress, perpetual and never finished. For many believers, once they have the essentials of doctrine and dogma down, faith becomes holding those things as truth and sharing those things in witness. But true faith, to me, is a process and not a pamphlet.

jeager106

Learning more about Jehovah.
Premium Member

"Each belief leads us to the Truth" you say. So what is this Truth you speak of?
Share with me please.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
"Each belief leads us to the Truth" you say. So what is this Truth you speak of?
Share with me please.

There are some basics. For example, we all are living. Something or someone or some-?? is running our hearts, giving us our motivations, etc.. for us to keep going. We don't have to be religious about it. It's basic psychology and philosophy that philosophers have been thinking about for ages--the existence of the life itself.

There's mathematics. Many religions use numbers.. but the foundation is arithmetic. Two and two will always equal four no matter where you are in the world and who you talk to. (in other words two sets of numbers that double itself will be double of what you had to begin with). Family ties. You have some religions that believe in ancestor veneration. Many cultures believe heavily in family. Americans have customs for the living as for those who have passed. Gratitude and veneration seems like common threads of truth too.

None of these I mentioned has anything to do with God, the Mystic Law, Buddha, or who or whatever. Our religion can explain these basic truths so that people have a way to be grateful for what they have. However, the psychology of it is pretty simple; living it is another story.

Oh that's right, survival. That's another truth--our body heals as it is dying... so the reality of life is a cycle is present in nature and in living life.