• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Homo-sexuality.

jiin_caltro

That's kind of what I'm talking about where beliefs clash, Maize. You see, the churches they go to, the public places they announce this in, might make them "wed" in some peoples eyes. But others believe that HS is...well, frankly an abomination. And while they think so, and while enough of them think so to keep it from being legal and "good," their words will ring hollow.

Okay, I'm going to try another example. Maybe this will work better. I believe that sex should wait until after marriage. Total, absolute, binding before man and God marriage. I also believe in obeying the laws of the land. So I bring up the point again: Will HS's wait until they can be married? Again, if not, then it can be called immoral.

jiin_caltro

But, Maize, if you agree to disagree then you can never truly understand. We'll only distance yourself from others because we can't understand eachother. The only real solution I can think of would be to teach everyone (Starting with first graders right now until they graduate) everything. The Bible, the Book of Mormon, the Torah, the Qur'an, and whatever other beliefs there are! And THEN we could all have a completely perfect understanding, and sit down and have a thoroughly intriguing discussion about whether HS is right or wrong.

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
Will all straight people wait until they're married? No? Guess it's an abomination! :rolleyes:

Kind of hard to wait for marriage when you have no idea if marriage will be legal in your area before you die.

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
jiin_caltro said:
That's kind of what I'm talking about where beliefs clash, Maize. You see, the churches they go to, the public places they announce this in, might make them "wed" in some peoples eyes.
You mean like my church? Yes, they would been considered a couple in every sense of the word.
But others believe that HS is...well, frankly an abomination. And while they think so, and while enough of them think so to keep it from being legal and "good," their words will ring hollow.
Well, I understand that to many this is a religious issue, but to me and others it is a civil rights issue. And denying a group of people their civil rights over something like the color of someone's skin or because of whom they love, is unacceptable. Last century many fought against civil rights and the civil rights movement won out, and we're still here. The same will happen again. Prejudices will lessen over time and peace will prevail.
Okay, I'm going to try another example. Maybe this will work better. I believe that sex should wait until after marriage. Total, absolute, binding before man and God marriage. I also believe in obeying the laws of the land. So I bring up the point again: Will HS's wait until they can be married? Again, if not, then it can be called immoral.

I suppose they'll wait if they're Mormon, or hold similar beliefs.

jiin_caltro

Well, that's where you're going to hate talking to me, Jensa, because yes, I do believe sex before marriage is wrong :) But there are always places to escape to, if only to wait until you can see what happens. That's what most other people did when they moved to America seeking freedom. Maybe it's time for a new kind of pioneer?

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
Sorry, I was unclear. When I said "Will all straight people wait until they're married? No? Guess it's an abomination!" I was referring to heterosexuality.

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
jiin_caltro said:
But, Maize, if you agree to disagree then you can never truly understand. We'll only distance yourself from others because we can't understand eachother. The only real solution I can think of would be to teach everyone (Starting with first graders right now until they graduate) everything. The Bible, the Book of Mormon, the Torah, the Qur'an, and whatever other beliefs there are! And THEN we could all have a completely perfect understanding, and sit down and have a thoroughly intriguing discussion about whether HS is right or wrong.
That's what UUs do! And we still don't all agree on everything, but can agree to disagree and respect others beliefs and right to live their lives.

jiin_caltro

Like I just said to Jensa, Maize, I don't believe in sex before marriage. So I'll call all those who have sex before being married immoral. Furthermore, race wasn't a religious issue, which HS is. Maybe history will prove me wrong. Maybe it'll prove me right.

jiin_caltro

But Maize, that's called Pacificsm. Which I mispelled ;) There will always be others who believe that something shouldn't be allowed to happen, even if it infringes on peoples rights. As long as those people believe that what they believe is right, they won't allow (Well, want at any rate) anything contrary to their beliefs to happen.

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
jiin_caltro said:
But Maize, that's called Pacificsm. Which I mispelled ;) There will always be others who believe that something shouldn't be allowed to happen, even if it infringes on peoples rights. As long as those people believe that what they believe is right, they won't allow (Well, want at any rate) anything contrary to their beliefs to happen.

No, it's called peace.

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
jiin_caltro said:
It's an excuse to be lazy. Leaving it where it is when you don't believe it. Don't you have any beliefs, any conviction?
Is that directed at me?

Of course I have beliefs and convictions.

jiin_caltro

If you have convictions, then you have to fight for them. The one I'm seeing right now is freedom to do whatever you want to. But there has to be something you want NOT to happen. Does anything come to mind?

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
Deut 13:1 said:
Use your imagination, I can't spell it out w/out being scensored, so let's just go w/ Particular confused people...

Do you have anything constructive to add to this discussion?

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
jiin_caltro said:
If you have convictions, then you have to fight for them. The one I'm seeing right now is freedom to do whatever you want to. But there has to be something you want NOT to happen. Does anything come to mind?

Does this have a point to the topic of this thread?

jiin_caltro

Constructive? It's a debate. The beginner of the thread didn't ask for a sympathetic shoulder, they asked for debate. As in a difference of opinions. Am I not building that?