• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Homosexuals, should we accept them, are they really homosexual?

Primordial Annihilator

Fair enough, though I'd say hiring criminals to be sure they're not the 'wrong kind of criminal' isn't quite the way to do it either. People just need to keep an eye out and report suspicious activity.

Who said I was hiring criminals?

I sometimes hire people with criminal records...

That is not the same thing at all.

How very judgemental....surely you know these people have paid their debt to society if they actually have a record?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
How very judgemental....surely you know these people have paid their debt to society if they actually have a record?
And not to mention that society for the most part has given up on people with a record to the point they are often put back into a situation in which they must break the law to survive, such as with dealing drugs.

Primordial Annihilator

And not to mention that society for the most part has given up on people with a record to the point they are often put back into a situation in which they must break the law to survive, such as with dealing drugs.

Yes that is a very significant part of the reason why most criminals that are sent to prison re offend within 1 year.

What chance do they have with their criminal records?
Doesn't help them gain employment....

Employers should only be able to know of a person's criminal history if it is relevant to the position offered and/or if the level of risk the person represents to the personal safety of others is higher than average...

Thus for example an employer advertising a position for a Tree Surgeon trainee does not need to know that a prospective candidate has a criminal record for a commercial burgalry that happened more than a year ago.

Shadow Wolf

Employers should only be able to know of a person's criminal history if it is relevant to the position offered and/or if the level of risk the person represents to the personal safety of others is higher than average...

Thus for example an employer advertising a position for a Tree Surgeon trainee does not need to know that a prospective candidate has a criminal record for a commercial burgalry that happened more than a year ago.
Last thing I'm gonna say on it to avoid further derailing the thread: It should also really depend on how long ago the crime happened. I know one guy in his fourties who was denied a job at CVS as a pharmacy manager or something, because he had a drug possession charge on his record from when he was 21.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
Who said I was hiring criminals?
You did:
In fact I prefer to employ people with criminal records

I sometimes hire people with criminal records...
thus making them, by the very definition of the word, criminals.

That is not the same thing at all.
Semantics word games used to back peddle.
Nice.

No more judgmental than your preferring to hire criminals.
Though I am fairly certain that you have semanticized your way through that as well.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
Yes that is a very significant part of the reason why most criminals that are sent to prison re offend within 1 year.

What chance do they have with their criminal records?
Doesn't help them gain employment....

I completely agree.

TheQueenCat

Animal Lover
anyone musn't judge them. this is natural. they don't judge us. (i say us" but i don't want make distinction)
everyone respect another one.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
Nonsense...ex criminals maybe...a criminal is someone who is actively involved in crime.

Please try to understand 007....
I do understand the definition of the word.
Here is the definition from two separate sources for you:

"WordNet (r) 2.0"
criminal

n : someone who has committed or been legally convicted of a crime

Criminal \Crim"i*nal\, n.
One who has commited a crime; especially, one who is found
guilty by verdict, confession, or proof; a malefactor; a
felon.
[1913 Webster]

It seems that it is you who does not understand...
Care to try again?

Primordial Annihilator

I do understand the definition of the word.
Here is the definition from two separate sources for you:

It seems that it is you who does not understand...
Care to try again?

What you are forgetting is due process...once someone is convicted of a crime they face sentencing and when sentenced they are no longer a criminal...they are either a prisoner of the state or they are to make some kind of reparation.

criminal [ˈkrɪmɪnəl]n
(Law) a person charged with and convicted of crime
2. a person who commits crimes for a living

Collins English Dictionary

Once sentenced the person is no longer a criminal.

Unless he goes on to commit more crimes of course.

Primordial Annihilator

I think ex criminal is a better description Mestemia...but I think everyone is guilty of something so to me everyone is an unconvicted criminal...so..its no big bones to me....

Last edited:

McBell

Admiral Obvious
What you are forgetting is due process...once someone is convicted of a crime they face sentencing and when sentenced they are no longer a criminal...they are either a prisoner of the state or they are to make some kind of reparation.

criminal [ˈkrɪmɪnəl]n
(Law) a person charged with and convicted of crime
2. a person who commits crimes for a living

Collins English Dictionary

Once sentenced the person is no longer a criminal.

Unless he goes on to commit more crimes of course.
Seems to me that perhaps it is a cultural difference in definition.

I think ex criminal is a better description Mestemia...but I think everyone is guilty of something so to me everyone is as yet unconvicted criminal...so..its no big bones to me....
Fair enough.

Shadow Wolf

.but I think everyone is guilty of something so to me everyone is an unconvicted criminal...so..its no big bones to me....
I had a thought awhile ago, that those in jail and prison are merely just the unlucky ones. I can actually only think of only a few people that have never done anything that get them jail time. Most of the people I can think of who have committed crimes though are guilty of only possessing drugs, mostly pot. But I also know people who are guilty of theft, burglary, and if rumors be true even attempted murder and they are just the lucky ones who haven't been caught and haven't had their lives ruined by a criminal record.