• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How a Nontheist Responds to Tragedy

When tragedy strikes, theists look to their gods for meaning and for comfort (as well as their friends, family, etc.). But what about nontheists? How does a nontheist respond to tragedy?

It seems to me that one who embraces a secular worldview must find comfort in his/her fellow human. Thus, when tragedy occurs a nontheist does not look up to the gods but around at other people.

I can't speak for other nontheists, obviously, but for me personally, when horrible events happen I think along the following lines: the horrible events were completely senseless. That is to say, sure, there may have been "reasons" behind the events--but those reasons were not the reasons of any intelligent, compassionate minds like ours. They were the reasons of mindless, amoral nature--tectonic plates shifting, storm fronts colliding, etc. Natural catastrophes do not fulfill any sort of divine or heavenly plan, nor are they punishment sent from above for something that the victims were doing. (Obviously, some natural catastrophes are the result of human actions....but many are not.)

There are no gods, or prophets, or saviors; so unless SETI discovers a signal from intelligent extraterrestrials, we're going to have to look to each other for comfort and for help. The way I see it, if there are no gods or ancestral spirits, that makes it even more important for we as a species to ignore ethnic, social or political boundaries, because if we don't help each other, no one will. If we don't love each other, and cherish each other, and value each other, no one will.

That is why when bad things happen, I don't see any use in trying to interpret it: "What did they do to deserve this?" Chances are, the victims didn't do anything. But hurricanes, tsunamis, and earthquakes have no way of knowing that, so there's no use in getting upset at them. The only thing one can do is volunteer to help, donate money, hug your loved ones, and remember every day how precious life is, and how fortunate we are to have each other.

robtex

Veteran Member
Mr_Spinkles said:
, we're going to have to look to each other for comfort and for help. The way I see it, if there are no gods or ancestral spirits, that makes it even more important for we as a species to ignore ethnic, social or political boundaries, because if we don't help each other, no one will. If we don't love each other, and cherish each other, and value each other, no one will.
Great job !!! I loved this post. Humanity for humanity. That is the perfect way to put it from a non-theist point of view from my vantage point.

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
I hope it's okay for me to post here... I don't really believe in any god per se, though I do believe in a 'force' that either can't or won't care about us.

I agree 110% with what you've said. When something horrible happens, we shouldn't sit around and just wonder why it happened or pin blame on some nonexistant force. It doesn't matter why it happened--if there even is a why--what matters is that people need help.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Mr_Spinkles said:
...when bad things happen, I don't see any use in trying to interpret it: "What did they do to deserve this?" Chances are, the victims didn't do anything. But hurricanes, tsunamis, and earthquakes have no way of knowing that, so there's no use in getting upset at them. The only thing one can do is volunteer to help, donate money, hug your loved ones, and remember every day how precious life is, and how fortunate we are to have each other.
As a believer, I said pretty much the same thing on the thread, "Where is God when disasters happen." All the atheists jumped down my throat and tried telling me that I couldn't simultaneously look at tragedy this way and believe in a God. But I do.

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
Not all of them; I didn't.

Personally, as a Buddhist, disasters are disasters. Human suffering has been increased, so we need to work harder to eradicate it. Our little sangha is going tomorrow to volunteer as a group at the Convention Center here in Houston. We will also offer meditation classes/services to any group in any shelter who wishes them, as well as spiritual counselling and guidance to any one wishing those from a Buddhist perspective. These are offered on an ongoing basis, as we expect evacuees to be here for some time.

Ori

Angel slayer
Katzpur said:
As a believer, I said pretty much the same thing on the thread, "Where is God when disasters happen." All the atheists jumped down my throat and tried telling me that I couldn't simultaneously look at tragedy this way and believe in a God. But I do.

I feel the same sometimes katz, I think to not question it would be the real mistake.

robtex

Veteran Member
Engyo said:
Not all of them; I didn't.

Personally, as a Buddhist, disasters are disasters. Human suffering has been increased, so we need to work harder to eradicate it. Our little sangha is going tomorrow to volunteer as a group at the Convention Center here in Houston. We will also offer meditation classes/services to any group in any shelter who wishes them, as well as spiritual counselling and guidance to any one wishing those from a Buddhist perspective. These are offered on an ongoing basis, as we expect evacuees to be here for some time.
Engyo I love the constant humanitarian efforts buddhists seem to bring to communities. It is so heart-warming. I hope alot of them take yall up on the mediations. What a beatiful tool to walk away with during such an adverse time. Kudos to your group. :)

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
Katzpur said:
You mean all of the atheists? Well, a good number of them. ;)
Spinks was not among them, I noticed. (As well as quite a few others.) I recall he had some very lovely words to say.

Thank you so much for posting this! It's really great to have another viewpoint's perspective!

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
FeathersinHair said:
Spinks was not among them, I noticed. (As well as quite a few others.) I recall he had some very lovely words to say.
Yup, not Spinks. :) Not robtex. :)

Fluffy

A fool
I tend to agree with you Spinks. However, I also tend to find that theists are far more likely to look to their god when the tragedy is personal whilst, when dealing with larger events or events more removed, the theist and nontheist response can be strikingly similar.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Fluffy said:
I tend to agree with you Spinks. However, I also tend to find that theists are far more likely to look to their god when the tragedy is personal whilst, when dealing with larger events or events more removed, the theist and nontheist response can be strikingly similar.
I don't!:help:

Yerda

Veteran Member
Nice work Spinks, as usual. I don't know if theists really turn to gods as often though, none of my theistic friends ever mention gods when having a tough time, but then I suppose I'm commiting a selection bias.

Flappycat

Hmm...where do I turn to for comfort in meaning? The thing is, I don't. When something rocks my boat, I ride it out and try to hold myself together. If I fail, I get kind of withdrawn for a while, basically treat heartsickness like any other illness and make sure to get all my fluids, make sure to get all my bedrest and suchlike.

When catastrophe strikes others, I feel a desire to help in any way that I can. I'll insist that they make sure to get their bedrest and keep themselves healthy, remind them that their best chances of making it through their time of hardship are in doing their best to hold things together. "You've been through this before," I might say, "so keep your head on straight. You haven't really failed until you've stopped trying." I do try to offer something other than platitudes, but sometimes that's all that I can give.

As for natural disasters, it just happens to be a fact that horrible things happen to good people. Life has never been inherently just, and it never will be. We can try to make it just, though. All we can really do is be there for each other as often as we possibly can. We'll stumble and fall on occassion, but that shouldn't stop us. Let's not cry out that life has been unfair when we can go out and make it fair, make it right. That's the only thing that will work.

Skavau

Essentially, a Non-Theist would respond to tragedy in the exact same way as a Theist would. Why must belief be a seperation of the common good which exists in us all?

While all beliefs have different ideas and different outlooks on life. We are all united the common good of humanity. Christians and Muslims are united on both wanting to help the poor and the sick. Atheists and Muslims both are united in wanting peace in the middle east and other troubled areas across the world. I would fail to see any difference in the actions of people from different faiths in times of disaster. The motive is still surely the same - which is to help and love.

Fade

The Great Master Bates

I'm a big fan of overcoming personal tragedy by means of class A narcotics. I mean if the sh*t hits the fan why not enjoy the ride :jam:

On a serious note though, I've been blessed thus far in my life by a conspicuous lack of tragedy. Don't get me wrong I've suffered heart ache and death in the family, but I'm fortunate to have never experienced a natural/man-made disaster. For that reason I can't say how I would respond. Objectively I would look to my personal belief that I am God of my life and can choose to react to the event in any way I please, though I would strive to suffer through the event with dignity and with compassion for those with me.