• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How Can a Creator God be Male?

Skwim

Veteran Member
And why the necessity to be male? Is there some good lookin' female god hanging around two universes over?

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
How can a creator god be male? Can males give birth?

I always got the impression that the masculinisation of certain concepts of God give the impression more of a creator than a parent: a builder, carefully working his product to his ideal and fixing it when it's not up to his doing, versus a mother giving birth to everything and nurturing it, hoping to encourage change with what she gave birth to.

Of course, I don't believe God has gender. :) I think "He" is just for generic usage, a leftover from olden days, because there is no decent gender-neutral pronoun in English as "it" generally gives the status of a non-living object or a "lower animal".

This fool's $0.02. :)

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
If we read Genesis, birth was never given. Instead, we see God more as a sculptor who formed human out of dust (much like one would form a bowl out of clay). Not that I believe this particular idea, but just saying that giving birth is not necessary.

Onkara

I read a book about Mother worship in India by the Ramakrishna Math, which proposed that Goddess worship came before male God worship. As society changed so did the gender of God in its role. Really God is beyond name and form, but for our minds sake and that of mediation it can be understood with gender.

There is also the role of Shiva-Shakti, in which both male and female are joined in union. The male Shiva is the divine spirit or Consciousness and Shakti the creative divine female aspect which goes forth and expands. Through Shakti's expansion Shiva can enjoy and experience Himself, this dance of creation is nothing less than the expression of love between Shiva and Shakti, who are in essence the same divine being-ness.

GabrielWithoutWings

That always bugged me. Part of me likes balance (which is why Goddess-worshipers also tend to rub me the wrong way) though part of me also understands that A) Females can reproduce without males when necessity demands it and B) A male is female in the womb before his Y chromosome flips him over to the male side. That may be my left-brain sticking its nose in my right-brain's business, though.

There are a few instances in Gnostic writings where "the Father" is referred to as the Metropater. Mother-father.

pwfaith

How can a creator god be male? Can males give birth?

I don't know about other religions but from a Christian perspective, God is neither male nor female b/c God is a Spirit and does not possess human characteristics or limitations. Sometimes figurative language used in Scripture assigns human characteristics to God in order to make it possible for man to understand God.