• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How Can a Creator God be Male?

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Many organisms are asexual, or without male and female sexuality. Gender roles and gender personalities that we think of as "male" and "female" mostly only correspond to our species and certain other mammals.

For a god of a universe to correspond to our local understanding of biological and mental gender is a rather self-focused thought, imo. But it may be a way for people to interpret and feel they understand something for which they do not.

It seems to me that, most Abrahamic content was written by males and therefore what we have is a masculine sort of god that billions believe in. Eastern concepts are a bit more varied, but many of their founders were male as well.

Azekual

Lost
How can a creator god be male? Can males give birth?
God never "gave birth" to man.
God is to humans, as humans are to robots.
We didn't push robots out of our collective va jay jay, we constructed them. God basically did the same thing to us.

connermt

There are some male in the animal kingdom that literally give birth (sea horses for one example). But that has nothing to do with a god being male. In the time that gods were invented, mots all societies were male dominated. Therefore, it makes sense that when a religion is created, in a male dominated society, it was created with a male as the head/chief of the religion.
If a religion was/is created in a female dominated society, the god would likely be female.

I don't know about other religions but from a Christian perspective, God is neither male nor female b/c God is a Spirit and does not possess human characteristics or limitations. Sometimes figurative language used in Scripture assigns human characteristics to God in order to make it possible for man to understand God.

John 14:9
Jesus saith unto him, Have I been so long time with you, and yet hast thou not known me, Philip? he that hath seen me hath seen the Father; and how sayest thou then, Shew us the Father?

There are some male in the animal kingdom that literally give birth (sea horses for one example). But that has nothing to do with a god being male. In the time that gods were invented, mots all societies were male dominated. Therefore, it makes sense that when a religion is created, in a male dominated society, it was created with a male as the head/chief of the religion.
If a religion was/is created in a female dominated society, the god would likely be female.
If humans sprouted spontaneously from the ground, who would dominate that society? My guess would be gardeners.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
It's My Birthday!
You're assuming that "creation" involves "birth." Mormons believe that God -- our "Father in Heaven" is the father of our spirits, but we also believe He has a female counterpart who is our "Mother in Heaven." She would clearly be the mother of our spirits. But they are not the parents of our physical bodies and only a physical being undergoes the process of a physical birth. Who knows what's involved in the "creation" of spirits?

Last edited: