• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How can one be Christian and Wiccan

spirittalker101

Love me or Hate me
Quote from wiki about what Gerald Gardner said about Wicca:

He claimed that the religion, of which he was an initiate, was a modern survival of an old witchcraft religion, which had existed in secret for hundreds of years, originating in the pre-Christian Paganism of Europe. Wicca is thus sometimes referred to as the Old Religion. The veracity of Gardner's claims cannot be independently proven, and it is thought that Wiccan theology began to be compiled no earlier than the 1920s.

You say that he siad he made it up(he did) but this says that HE said he didn't.......

No Hutton, Which wiki doesn't use, due to the fact that he got rid of the historical accuracy. Silver Ravenwolf and other authors use all the time, and followed the facts back and found that Gardner made wicca. Gardner admits that HE coined the term wicca. He used Kabballah and christianity cerimonial magic to shape his religion. He was initiated into a Witchcraft coven, not a wiccan coven.

Gentoo

The Feisty Penguin
Ah, I see. :rolleyes:

So, you didn't want to actually get answers, you just wanted to be a troll.

:troll:

Gotta love those who don't want to do the work for themselves, want to be told everything and then not accept the answers they're given.

Runt

No Hutton, Which wiki doesn't use, due to the fact that he got rid of the historical accuracy. Silver Ravenwolf and other authors use all the time, and followed the facts back and found that Gardner made wicca. Gardner admits that HE coined the term wicca. He used Kabballah and christianity cerimonial magic to shape his religion. He was initiated into a Witchcraft coven, not a wiccan coven.
Gardner was the first Wiccan, yes. And he made the entire religion up by combining elements of other religions in an attempt to revive---if not in actuality, then in spirit---the "Old Religion". The amusing thing about all of this is that there never was an "Old Religion"... there were just a multitude of old religons, each unique to their locale and time and none as heavily focused on ritualism and symbolism as Wicca.

I suppose I said all of that to say this... Gardner was an armchair anthropologist who created a religion. If he can do it, so can others. ;)

spirittalker101

Love me or Hate me
Gardner was the first Wiccan, yes. And he made the entire religion up by combining elements of other religions in an attempt to revive---if not in actuality, then in spirit---the "Old Religion". The amusing thing about all of this is that there never was an "Old Religion"... there were just a multitude of old religons, each unique to their locale and time and none as heavily focused on ritualism and symbolism as Wicca.

I suppose I said all of that to say this... Gardner was an armchair anthropologist who created a religion. If he can do it, so can others. ;)

Whew about time someone got what I was meaning about wicca...

At least when Gardner created his religion he was inventive enough to come up with a new name.

spirittalker101

Love me or Hate me
Gotta love those who don't want to do the work for themselves, want to be told everything and then not accept the answers they're given.

By the looks of it I have more actual knowledge on gardner in my little toe. I never just accept was others say. Especally when they are talking SRW or the likes. Real things are always better then the wanna-bes.

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
The information that I want isn't found on a site like google. Maybe I can borrow your SRW books. (that is for calling me a troll)

So, searching for the information you want isn't possible? Funny, I did a google search and came up with a number of sites on Christian Wicca. Several that have message boards. You could go bother them instead.

Gentoo

The Feisty Penguin
By the looks of it I have more actual knowledge on gardner in my little toe. I never just accept was others say. Especally when they are talking SRW or the likes. Real things are always better then the wanna-bes.

This thread has certainly brightened up my spirits, though the laughs never stop.

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
no if you believe in wicca as gardner defined it (he being the founder and all) it is a mystery fertility cult that has a god and goddess of the isles. therefore it makes it hard to then also say that christ is wrong and believe that you can make 3 deities happy at once. Remember as a christian you aren't supposed to praise anyone higher than God himself.

This is all just definitional. Religions are defined by the symbols that the members find meaningful and associate with. Spirituality is defined by the symbols that the individual finds meaningful and associates with.

Attempting to define a person's spirituality for them is meaningless. A Christian Wiccan exists because certain of the symbols that define "Christian" and "Wiccan" are meaningful to that individual. Both are associated within the same mind.

People tend to break out of the boxes we try to label them in with.

Booko

Deviled Hen
when there are MAJOR conflicts how could anyone think that they can do it. That is like trying to tie your shoe and walk. Independently both options are fine but when combined it makes for one hell of a home video.

Yes, I hear the same thing said to me about my view of religions, and my reaction is pretty much the same.

Come to think of it, I have the same essential reaction with arguments about evolution and creationism [sic].

I don't myself see how people reconcile Christianity and Wicca, but they obviously do, so I suppose it would be more informative to just ask them how they manage without all the insults behind the supposed question.

Runt

Whew about time someone got what I was meaning about wicca...

At least when Gardner created his religion he was inventive enough to come up with a new name.
So... this entire thread revolves around your belief that Christian-Wiccans should create a new religion and give it a new name, rather than simply hyphenating the names of the two religions from which they draw inspiration?

rozamar

Pagans believe in the one God/Godess/Great Spirit. The gods and goddesses are on a par with Christian saints. Just as there is a saint for every occasion so there are gods and goddesses that preside over a particular area of life. The goddess Brighid/Saint Bridget is the goddess of Spring, new beginnings, the hearth, motherhood and smithwork. The gods and goddesses also represent the eight seasons of the celtic year. Above these is the one great Spirit that we believe has a dual nature as Father Sky and Mother Earth. That is because nothing can flourish without a male and female to bring new life into being.

Duck

wow that just sounds twisted to me. but hey have fun with that. isn't magic a bad thing in the bible too? And sex with out intent to reproduce? I would also bet that the god and goddess wouldn't like being worshiped after someone else.

right God said don't worship anyone before me but worship anyone/thing that you want after...got it.

One assumes that the God and Goddess referenced in Gardnerian Wicca are jealous. Not necessarily the case. Isn't it the christian god that states his NAME is jealousy?

My understanding of christian wicca is that the rites (prayers, rituals) are directed to jesus as the god and mary as the goddess, but I admit to an incomplete understanding of that particular sect of christianity. AFAICT, the magic that you are concerned about is renamed prayer.

Whereever did you get the idea that sex was a component of wiccan ritual? Sex could I suppose be part of wiccan ritual, and some groups perform rituals sky-clad (naked) but nudity != sex. Nudity may be an optional prerequisite for sex, but is not the same thing.

Azakel

Liebe ist für alle da
Pagans believe in the one God/Godess/Great Spirit. The gods and goddesses are on a par with Christian saints. Just as there is a saint for every occasion so there are gods and goddesses that preside over a particular area of life. The goddess Brighid/Saint Bridget is the goddess of Spring, new beginnings, the hearth, motherhood and smithwork. The gods and goddesses also represent the eight seasons of the celtic year. Above these is the one great Spirit that we believe has a dual nature as Father Sky and Mother Earth. That is because nothing can flourish without a male and female to bring new life into being.
Thanks for the Generalization. I for the most part am a Pagan and I don't believe any of that. So don't post like you speak for all Pagans.

Danny Heim

From what I know of each religion they are both very set that you must follow their own god/ess. Christians believe that none is higher than God and he is everything. Wouldn't it be smacking him in the face to pray to him and then turn around and pray to the god and goddess of the isles?? Just wondering.

I think this is a question for Carl Jung.
progress.gif

Danny Heim

This is all just definitional. Religions are defined by the symbols that the members find meaningful and associate with. Spirituality is defined by the symbols that the individual finds meaningful and associates with.

Attempting to define a person's spirituality for them is meaningless. A Christian Wiccan exists because certain of the symbols that define "Christian" and "Wiccan" are meaningful to that individual. Both are associated within the same mind.

People tend to break out of the boxes we try to label them in with.

bango

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
Yay resurrected thread!
Yes, yes you can be both in my opinion.

Some Wiccans won't like it. Some Christians won't like it.
But, it's not their faith, is it? If someone has a problem with it, oh well, they don't have to subscribe to it. :shrug: