• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How can someone be a male and be a feminist at the same time?

uberrobonomicon4000

Why wouldn't a male be able to believe what you quoted, though? That still doesn't answer the question of why you think males can't be feminists.
I’m not sure what you are asking. Why can a male not believe in feminism? They can but they are pro-feminist or supporters of feminism, not feminist, who are women advocates of feminism (i.e. It’s a women’s movement).

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Sorry, I don't discriminate based on gender. I think a man can certainly identify himself as a feminist if he wants to.

Wherenextcolumbus

Feminism isn't about biological determinism and infact it's against it. It is about resisting patriarchy. Obviously women's experiences are at the forefront of feminism because of male privilege. This doesn't mean that a man can't be feminist, it just means he has to learn how male privilege works in his culture, change his mind set and analyse how he views women. Women have to do the same in order to be feminists however we bring the insight into how patriarchy has effected us. Male feminists can use their privilege to help educate other men and to break the cycle.
For some men accepting that they have male privilege is hard to do, and the entitlement issues really start to show when you bring it up, or resist something that they feel is owed to them, because they have always had the privilege. There are some men who still get emotional because their girlfriend doesn't want their last name in marriage. Some men don't want to give their privilege up and don't understand why they should. This is the challenge for men who want to be feminists but I encourage them to over come it.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
I’m not sure what you are asking. Why can a male not believe in feminism? They can but they are pro-feminist or supporters of feminism, not feminist, who are women advocates of feminism (i.e. It’s a women’s movement).
Is there some unspoken rule that says only women advocate feminism?

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Feminism isn't about biological determinism and infact it's against it. It is about resisting patriarchy. Obviously women's experiences are at the forefront of feminism because of male privilege. This doesn't mean that a man can't be feminist, it just means he has to learn how male privilege works in his culture, change his mind set and analyse how he views women. Women have to do the same in order to be feminists however we bring the insight into how patriarchy has effected us. Male feminists can use their privilege to help educate other men and to break the cycle.
For some men accepting that they have male privilege is hard to do, and the entitlement issues really start to show when you bring it up, or resist something that they feel is owed to them, because they have always had the privilege. There are some men who still get emotional because their girlfriend doesn't want their last name in marriage. Some men don't want to give their privilege up and don't understand why they should. This is the challenge for men who want to be feminists but I encourage them to over come it.
Funny thing about that is they may not actually have had any "male privilege" until you brought it up. :)

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Sorry, I don't discriminate based on gender. I think a man can certainly identify himself as a feminist if he wants to.
Amen.

Saying that both genders can advocate feminism but only the females who advocate feminism can be called feminists is anti-feminist.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Can you explain the side that proclaims, "A man cannot be a feminist," to us?

No. Can't.

I can't exlain:-
'a man can't be a feminist.'

I can't explain:
'A person who believes in Equality for all must be a feminist'.

Hang on..... grab hold of these descriptions of feminism a-la wiki:-

Feminism in the United Kingdom seeks to establish political, social, and economic equality for women.

United States. Beginning very early on in the late 1800s, women fought for their rights to be heard and allowed to vote. In the next century the desire for women to become more socially equal was the focus of the feminist in the United States. Now in the more modern wave of feminism in this country, the emphasis has shifted to enforcing the equality of all women, no matter their ethnicity, social standing, or sexual orientation.

OK? Now,don't ask me about the USA one. The Brit one is easy to understand. A recent search (by me) has revealed (for me) that feminism isn't as strong here, as you can see from the wiki description. Not only 'not many males' but (with respect to Horroroble) 'not many females' are heavily into feminism, because they're looking beyond it too, now. I tell you, many women here would consider themselves egaliterian before 'feminist' because egalitarian has wider concepts, further horizons, etc etc.

And so...... whilst a man (person) can be feminist, I think they're not spreading their wings wide enough. If Feminism was so strong in Britain, the act that would have consolidated all of our anti-discrimination acts thru the last 35-40 years (passed about 4 months ago) would have been titled THE FEMINISM ACT.
It was not. It was titled THE EQUALITY ACT. Just covers so much more.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Hey, I'm all for a man being able to identify himself however he wants. More power to him.

Where in your position are you in agreement with the proclamation that a man CANNOT be a feminist, however?

I think I have just answered this one post up...... or two osts up, maybe.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!

That's the same as I feel.........

But, seeing things from all angles, a woman has the right, if she pleases, to choose a gender-separate role in life, as in 'man kills bear', woman,'cooks dinner', thing. If a woman chooses this role and life, she has the right to it without bullying or barracking...... not that I know any.

Freedom of (reasonable, lawful) choice for all.

uberrobonomicon4000

Amen.

Saying that both genders can advocate feminism but only the females who advocate feminism can be called feminists is anti-feminist.
Yeah no one ever said both sides can’t, and this is where we disagree, because I don’t view it as discrimination to say only women can be feminist, at least those who choose to be feminist, because mind you, not all women are feminist. :rolleyes:

So why is a male anti-feminism for saying a male can only be supportive and not be labeled as feminist? Why do you think a male who is pro-feminism should be labeled as a feminist? I don't understand why you or others would view things as black and white. Because that isn't the type of world we live in. Does feminism not believe in diversity or is that against the rules of feminism?

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member

What about the fact that there are so many men who identify themselves as feminists?

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
What about them? Am I suppose to give them a brownie point or something?

No, you are saying that men can't be feminists. I asked you to explain your argument in light of the fact that there many men who consider themselves to be feminists.

So, how do you explain that if you think that they're "ineligible" to identify themselves as such?