• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

how 'christian' is UU?

bicker

Unitarian Universalist
Churches that are humanist or religiously generic refer to their parishes by the names of "society" "congregation" or "fellowship"
Emphasis on the word "generally". The older the church, the less reliable that rule-of-thumb is.

Explicitly Christian churches not only have the word church in their name but references Christian ideas or themes like "Christ", "Bethlehem" "Epiphany", these churches also include the titles "Federated Church" or ... "Independent Christian Church", or "Church of the Mediator".
This is very useful. While it might not be definitive, it is a good start. (I eliminated a few labels that I just don't think are reliable enough.)

BTW, we are the Unitarian Universalist Church of Reading, and I've never gotten the feeling that it is a Christian church, in any way, shape or form. We are, firmly, UU; not Christian. The reason why we're a "Church" is because we have been a "Church" for almost 200 years (having started out as a Unitarian Christian church), and we're not going to change our name willy-nilly! :)

You can also tell by looking at a church's website and looking at their "about us page"
This, though, is the best answer.