• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How close are you to quitting?

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
How close are you to quitting your job?

I think I'm very close.

Long rant incoming, friends.

Perhaps this question isn't as relevant to older folk established in careers of their choice.

The question is relevant to me. I'm a cook.

I got no impulse control really. So I spend my money poorly. I live in a ****e trailer literally held together by tape, and then money sometimes goes to substances, hookers, fast food, and junk food. Those things together add up more than my bills. So, logically, if I didn't have the money for these negative things, then I wouldn't get these things I don't want in my life.

That's just one thought.

I'm a literal god
And I'm frying chicken / washing dishes for a living
I'm a LITERAL GOD ok?! You know how degrading this is? When I'm clocked in as a dishwasher and some old lady takes a crap on the dining room floor, you know who cleans it up? ME! A GOD!

So that's another thought that's been bouncing around my head recently.

I just wanna spend all my time reading and studying. Man, I tried reading some Plato and that stuff was a grade level above my understanding. I got a lot to learn, especially when it comes to philosophy, which is critical to my understanding. I am way behind. I got 60+ books but I need to read most of em.

I just amp myself up on legal pills which are killing me slowly everyday so I can perform at work. Substance abuse in the restaurant industry is a rampant problem. Especially on the clock usage. The amount of people I've seen snort, smoke, drink, etc. while clocked in is unreasonable. This industry turned me into a junkie. At my first cooking job my managers and others would either give me pills so I could move faster or they'd come to me asking where they could get some for themselves. Been an addict since. I hate this industry when I'm sober but god do I love it when I'm high...

If I didn't have a family I didn't want to disappoint I'd just be homeless with my books. Maybe save up like 2gs first or something then just get food stamps. I've been homeless before only for a short while but I did enjoy being free from the everyday life that I was so accustomed to. It's so hot where I live though, being homeless here must suck.

My career choice is philosopher. And I'm far from it. So it seems my only other option is to be a cook indefinitely. Which i don't like. But I have no other skills. And with social anxiety disorder, I can't work in the public.

But I'm impulsive now. I decide on a day to day basis whether I quit or not. I want to pay a music producer some money for some work so I think I'll be working for a couple weeks at least. But after that, I think I'm liable to quit at any moment

I already alerted my bosses lol I'm real with them.

What about you? How close are you to quitting? The reason I ask is because if I ask my coworkers that, half of them will laugh and put their fingers togsther and say "this close". The other half will grumble they can't afford to quit. I wonder if it's the same for you guys, or if you have found actual satisfaction in your day job.

Rant over.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
My husband's also a restaurant worker. You're spot on on the substance abuse issue... There have been times my husband has gotten in trouble for pointing out the obvious state of some of the folks around him...

Dan From Smithville

Monsters! Monsters from the id! Forbidden Planet
Staff member
Premium Member

I think I'm very close.

Perhaps this question isn't as relevant to older folk established in careers of their choice.

I got no impulse control really. So I spend my money poorly. I live in a ****e trailer literally held together by tape, and then money sometimes goes to substances, hookers, fast food, and junk food. Those things together add up more than my bills. So, logically, if I didn't have the money for these negative things, then I wouldn't get these things I don't want in my life.

That's just one thought.

I'm a literal god
I'm a LITERAL GOD ok?! You know how degrading this is? When I'm clocked in as a dishwasher and some old lady takes a crap on the dining room floor, you know who cleans it up? ME! A GOD!

I just wanna spend all my time reading and studying. Man, I tried reading some Plato and that stuff was a grade level above my understanding. I got a lot to learn, especially when it comes to philosophy, which is critical to my understanding. I am way behind. I got 60+ books but I need to read most of em.

I just amp myself up on legal pills which are killing me slowly everyday so I can perform at work. Substance abuse in the restaurant industry is a rampant problem. Especially on the clock usage. The amount of people I've seen snort, smoke, drink, etc. while clocked in is unreasonable. This industry turned me into a junkie. At my first cooking job my managers and others would either give me pills so I could move faster or they'd come to me asking where they could get some for themselves. Been an addict since. I hate this industry when I'm sober but god do I love it when I'm high...

If I didn't have a family I didn't want to disappoint I'd just be homeless with my books. Maybe save up like 2gs first or something then just get food stamps. I've been homeless before only for a short while but I did enjoy being free from the everyday life that I was so accustomed to. It's so hot where I live though, being homeless here must suck.

My career choice is philosopher. And I'm far from it. So it seems my only other option is to be a cook indefinitely. Which i don't like. But I have no other skills. And with social anxiety disorder, I can't work in the public.

But I'm impulsive now. I decide on a day to day basis whether I quit or not. I want to pay a music producer some money for some work so I think I'll be working for a couple weeks at least. But after that, I think I'm liable to quit at any moment

What about you? How close are you to quitting? The reason I ask is because if I ask my coworkers that, half of them will laugh and put their fingers togsther and say "this close". The other half will grumble they can't afford to quit. I wonder if it's the same for you guys, or if you have found actual satisfaction in your day job.

Rant over.
I've quit my job twice in the last year. Both times was an upgrade.

As to your other activities, you have choices. Addictions of course make those choices more difficult to achieve if the choice is to end them.

Have you considered a monastic order? I don't know much about those things, but do they require you be clergy or on the path to be clergy or even to join? If something like that were possible, it might simplify things for you and make gaining control of your life to send it the direction you want more feasible.

I'm just spit balling here.

Borrowing that as an option, try tapering off the expenses or turning impulsivity on its back and using it in some way to help achieve your goals? Again, I haven't got an easy answer. I have my own problems. I procrastinate like it will make me rich. I just have to make myself do things timely and find ways to do something when it is the last thing I want to do or worse, isn't even on the list.

I lost 125 lbs during the pandemic, simply because I decided to do it and just did it. The more I lost, the better I felt. The better I felt, the more I kept at it.

I'd like you to know that I want to see you succeed. I think others want to see you succeed too. It isn't much, but it is something. A pearl just starts out as a grain of sand.

I wish you well and hope for the best. I will include you in my thoughts and prayers.

Dan From Smithville

Monsters! Monsters from the id! Forbidden Planet
Staff member
Premium Member
I actually did consider it couple years back while in between jobs.

I'm glad you brought it up, I haven't thought about it in a while. I'm gonna create a thread about monastic orders.

I think it is something worth looking into.
I'm glad I thought of it too. I hope it helps.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I'll quit if someone will support me for the rest of my life.

Otherwise, gotta work weither I like it or not to keep my free time happy.

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member

I think I'm very close.

That's just one thought.

I'm a literal god

I would keep in mind that there aren't too many paying 'philosopher' positions out there.

You do you, but a paycheck is paycheck. If you hate what you do, move on to something you like. But it's a good practice to secure another job before you walk away form your current one.

You're spending more than a third of your life working, so make sure you working on something you enjoy.

I already did, but the owner talked me out of it. I'm currently grooming someone to take my place. I'm planning on moving on before the end of the year.

Yerda

Veteran Member

I think I'm very close.

That's just one thought.

I'm a literal god

Rant over.
Mate, I've been there.

I managed to put myself through a distance-learning degree while doing kitchen work but it was near impossible until I sorted my life out. Perhaps time to get work in a different industry or maybe look for a cooking job in a breakfast place or somewhere with more sociable hours?