• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How did the first living thing on earth come to life?

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
Flappycat said:
There is no evidence for any such thing.

One of these days, you're going to have to understand that the idea behind your religion is faith. If you're interested in discovering how things work, look to scientific knowledge, for this is the only place that you will find substantial data. If you're interested in spirituality, then turn to your religion, and I will turn to introspection to the same end. If you want scientific knowledge to be compliant with your religious beliefs, you're doomed to disappointment, and this will only make you unhappy.

THANK YOU....!!!!!

I've been saying this over and over.....to no end I guess....:sarcastic

greatcalgarian

Mister_T said:
I don't really have any theories in mind. I was just going off of what you said earlier in the thread: After reading it a little more carefully, maybe "fact" is too strong a word. But at first glance it did seem that you were stating theories as facts.

As for the religion thing goes, I was not refering to differences in denominations. I was refering to the subject of science and God. Theistic scientists more specifically. They generally get the "unintelligent" label by other scientists. BUT, after further reflection, I realized that it is a two way street and that the atheistic scientists get labels from the theist community as well. It's easy to forget that not all theists think like me. :eek:

Thanks for the clarification:D

s2a

Heretic and part-time (skinny) Santa impersonator
Flappycat said:
Dude, theories come in various degrees of strength. For example, it's a theory that you can find the hypoteneuse C of a right triangle by calculating the square root of the sum of the squares of sides A and B.

C=(A^2+B^2)^(1/2)

Even though this is an easily demonstrable truth, this is called the Pythagorean Theorom, not the Magical Pythagorean Truth, and you can find lengthy discussions about the various proofs of it.

There are other theories, on the other hand, that rely upon a great deal of guesswork, and especially many cosmological theories may be affected by numerous unknowns.

Not unless they allow their beliefs to interfere with their work. If they're fudging their work to keep it from conflicting with their beliefs, they'll be labelled idiots by people who have the same beliefs. Really, a lot fewer scientists than you think are atheists. They just practice professionalism and keep their personal beliefs out of their work.

Sometimes...it's really annoying that I can't frubal excellent posts, just because they come from the same source as the last one I frubaled.

Karma...go figure...;-)

Maybe I'll just to have send flowers instead.

I sure hope Flappy doesn't get the wrong idea about me...

;-)

Heracles

Canadian eh
There is also the theory that the first cell/cells came to earth from space, via a meteor, meteorite etc. Of course, this theory only pushes back the explanation to another planet or another place in the universe, so it doesnt really solve the problem. This is also a good oppurtunity for the deists to say God did it, God started the first life, but once again, that doesnt solve the problem because you can use the God card on anything and get away with it (sort of, not around scientists of any sort of course)

Also, science can only go so far as to suppose theorize and make educated guesses. They will never be able to prove any theory 100%, and Djamila was right, evolution isn't concerned with how life began(but it is extremely relevant and important in evolution) but how life has progressed from the point of first life.
Hope this helps a bit

Papersock

Lucid Dreamer
I realized something today that explains the basic problem I have with Intelligent Design. At first I wasn’t sure if my thought actually made since. Perhaps you all could help.

From what I can tell, the theory of Intelligent Design is based on our observation that everything that seems designed is designed (by humans) and that everything is caused by something else (natural forces and intelligence). Therefore, life and the universe is designed and its creation was caused by the designer.

However, the only observed causes have been of physical things causing other physical things. What causes, or creates human intelligence? The physical actions and reactions in our brain creates our consciousness and our intelligence. The only intelligence we can observe (ours and certain animals) exists because of nature. So how could intelligence exist outside of nature in order to create nature?

In order for Intelligent Design to work you have to believe that our consciousness exists outside of our physical bodies, in a soul or something. This is still up to debate, I guess. But I have seen plenty of evidence for our brains controlling our thoughts and consciousness.