• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How do I make money?

Alceste

Vagabond
I pretty much have just the one friend, so $450 is my entire Christmas budget :/.
The lawn work thing sounds like it'd work pretty well, especially as it gets colder, but I'm pretty sure the campus already has workers to mow it's lawn... maybe there's houses within walking distance from campus, how would I go about applying for such a job?

I don't know where you get this impression. It's certainly not true.

I haven't seen any such stores. Where do I go to hear about these?

Lawn mowing and dog walking you would go directly to potential clients (aka local houses) with a flyer or business card, drop it in every mailbox in walking distance, put signs up on local bulletin boards, take out a classified ad and ask everyone you know and everyone you meet if they need a dog walker / lawn mower or know anybody who does. You could also look in the classifieds yourself and call everyone providing these services and ask if they need any help. For a job on campus, your school's web site probably lists opportunities for students.

T-Dawg

Self-appointed Lunatic
doppelgänger;2594262 said:
Go to the local mall. If transportation is an issue, there's always a bus route that runs by the mall throughout the day. Go to a nearby local discount retailer (i.e. Target or Wal-Mart). If you have no expenses, you can probably get the amount you need working part time in a matter of weeks.

If you didn't have a pressing need, I'd agree with the comment above to start your own business. But you'll have to take time to develop and market it, so you won't see a return for a while, if at all. The upside of doing that is much better if it works though.

I'm not even sure if we have a local mall here... I'm pretty sure there's a Wal-Mart somewhere, though. I'll see if they have any open jobs if I get rejected for the job I'm currently applying to (I find out tomorrow if I get accepted).

Lawn mowing and dog walking you would go directly to potential clients (aka local houses) with a flyer or business card, drop it in every mailbox in walking distance, put signs up on local bulletin boards, take out a classified ad and ask everyone you know and everyone you meet if they need a dog walker / lawn mower or know anybody who does. You could also look in the classifieds yourself and call everyone providing these services and ask if they need any help. For a job on campus, your school's web site probably lists opportunities for students.

Those sound like things I could feasibly pull off. What qualifications do I need for mowing lawns?

Jobs on campus are what I've been looking at. I've got one that I find out tomorrow if I get accepted, and if I get accepted for it, I should be set.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
You don't need any qualifications to mow lawns - you just need a lawn mower. But you also need growing grass, and lawn mowing season is nearly over. You can clean up and winterize yards and flower beds in a few weeks though. For that job, you need trash bags, clippers, a little shovel, a trowel, a rake, and gloves - that's about it!

Dog sitting and dog walking may be in pretty high demand.

Also - check out where the bus route will take you and what hours the bus runs. When I was in college, I went without a car for awhile and I rode the bus back and forth to work. I didn't live in a large town either.

T-Dawg

Self-appointed Lunatic
You don't need any qualifications to mow lawns - you just need a lawn mower. But you also need growing grass, and lawn mowing season is nearly over. You can clean up and winterize yards and flower beds in a few weeks though. For that job, you need trash bags, clippers, a little shovel, a trowel, a rake, and gloves - that's about it!

Dog sitting and dog walking may be in pretty high demand.

Also - check out where the bus route will take you and what hours the bus runs. When I was in college, I went without a car for awhile and I rode the bus back and forth to work. I didn't live in a large town either.

I need my own lawnmower? And the job isn't in demand during winter? Blasts, I knew there'd be something...

What does it mean to "winterize" yards?

Would snow shoveling be an adequate substitute? I do like interacting with snow, and I expect that there will be at least a little of it this winter (there had better be a lot of it, I have forts to build... traditionally, northern Missouri has not disappointed me :)). And I could probably store a snowshovel in my room, as opposed to a lawnmower. Yes, that sounds like a job I could do, assuming it's in demand.

Otherright

Otherright
How do I do this? I AM a dependable and hard worker, but it's not like someone can see traits like that just by looking at people.

Sure they can. Its all about presentation. You have to sell yourself from the word go. Arrive at your interview on time, dressed appropriately. Connect to the interviewer, but remain factual. Dependability is as much a physical trait as it is an aspect.

A neat person looks organized.
An engaged person looks like they have the ability to concentrate on their work.
Timeliness gives the first impression of dependability.

At my day job, we hire the new hires. Of course, HR has final say, but the interview process is handled by us who are level 3. Leaders, experts, and functionals. We have criteria and questions that we ask. You have to get passed us to get in the door, and we are looking at the previous, and other things.

Do you appear organized?
What were your pre-interview test scores?
Were you punctual?
Did you engage my questions?
What were your responses?

Alceste

Vagabond
I need my own lawnmower? And the job isn't in demand during winter? Blasts, I knew there'd be something...

What does it mean to "winterize" yards?

Would snow shoveling be an adequate substitute? I do like interacting with snow, and I expect that there will be at least a little of it this winter (there had better be a lot of it, I have forts to build... traditionally, northern Missouri has not disappointed me :)). And I could probably store a snowshovel in my room, as opposed to a lawnmower. Yes, that sounds like a job I could do, assuming it's in demand.

Snow shoveling is often in demand. Every time it snows in fact. :)

T-Dawg

Self-appointed Lunatic
Snow shoveling is often in demand. Every time it snows in fact. :)

Spiffy, I think I know what to do in the event that I get rejected for the job tomorrow.

I've got a map of my college village. How can I tell which areas are the residential areas?

Alceste

Vagabond
Spiffy, I think I know what to do in the event that I get rejected for the job tomorrow.

I've got a map of my college village. How can I tell which areas are the residential areas?

Where are you going to school? Alcatraz? It really surprises me you don't know more about the area. If you have a campus map, walk off it in ANY direction. Then you will be officially "off campus". If you see houses, it's a residential area. If you see a massive building surrounded by asphalt with big flashy signs all around it, it's a mall (loads of jobs in there). If you see nothing but fields, you're in a rural area. If you feel strangely light and have real trouble breathing, you are on the moon. ;) Wander out of your comfort zone. You never know, you might even find a bus stop!

T-Dawg

Self-appointed Lunatic
Where are you going to school? Alcatraz? It really surprises me you don't know more about the area. If you have a campus map, walk off it in ANY direction. Then you will be officially "off campus". If you see houses, it's a residential area. If you see a massive building surrounded by asphalt with big flashy signs all around it, it's a mall (loads of jobs in there). If you see nothing but fields, you're in a rural area. If you feel strangely light and have real trouble breathing, you are on the moon. ;) Wander out of your comfort zone. You never know, you might even find a bus stop!

I thought Alcatraz was a prison, not a school?

Ah, right, I keep forgetting that I can do that. I'm used to having to sign a paper at an office (and for me, have someone to follow around so I don't get lost) every time I wanted to go off campus (and that was a drastic liberalization of my previous existence of being mostly confined to my house, school, and church as I was growing up). I think I can just walk to places now... right?

I know that the downtown area of businesses and offices (fire department, post office, town hall, etc) is to the north. Judging by the patterns of roads, the residential areas are probably either to the east or to the west (or both). I think I can just walk off campus and look around whenever I have time... it feels so weird, not having to fill out any paperwork or tell someone before going somewhere.

EDIT: I don't know why this didn't occur to me before...
I've used the satellite view on google to view the town. It's sort of hard to tell because there's so many dang trees blocking my view, but it appears that the residential areas are indeed to the east and west. And maybe to the south, I can't quite tell if some of the buildings are houses.
Unfortunately, I haven't found anything that resembles a mall judging by the satellite pictures, but I'll do more searches tomorrow if I don't get the job I applied to on campus.
Hooray for stalking! :D

Last edited:

Kathryn

Waitstaffing is a good idea as well, and would fit your schedule. Google "restaurants" in your area and also google the bus routes.

If you find a restaurant near campus, you should be able to ride a bike to work as well. Buses don't generally run late at night so you may need to do the bike thing.

Alceste

Vagabond
I thought Alcatraz was a prison, not a school?

Ah, right, I keep forgetting that I can do that. I'm used to having to sign a paper at an office (and for me, have someone to follow around so I don't get lost) every time I wanted to go off campus (and that was a drastic liberalization of my previous existence of being mostly confined to my house, school, and church as I was growing up). I think I can just walk to places now... right?

I know that the downtown area of businesses and offices (fire department, post office, town hall, etc) is to the north. Judging by the patterns of roads, the residential areas are probably either to the east or to the west (or both). I think I can just walk off campus and look around whenever I have time... it feels so weird, not having to fill out any paperwork or tell someone before going somewhere.

EDIT: I don't know why this didn't occur to me before...
I've used the satellite view on google to view the town. It's sort of hard to tell because there's so many dang trees blocking my view, but it appears that the residential areas are indeed to the east and west. And maybe to the south, I can't quite tell if some of the buildings are houses.
Unfortunately, I haven't found anything that resembles a mall judging by the satellite pictures, but I'll do more searches tomorrow if I don't get the job I applied to on campus.
Hooray for stalking! :D

From the sounds of it, it would do you a world of good to get off campus. Home, school and church? It does sound like you were raised in a prison. Welcome to the free world! :D

Biblestudent_007

How do I make money?

A) Fill out all the required info that companies need on job applications
b) Update your job search online
c) Employment agencies
4) Talk to public caseworkers

5) Now earning cash $ on the Internet is another thing, they offer cd packages and programs but realistically one could earn $75 dollars to $100 dollars a day. (The Key Motto is don't give up)

Last edited:

Awoon

I have a problem, probably one that many teenagers face:

I need money ($450 or so by early December, to be specific), but there's no available jobs in my area (I did apply for the jobs on campus that I felt I was qualified for, but got rejected from one and haven't heard anything back from the other). It wouldn't make sense to ask mom for money in this case, since it's for a Christmas present for a friend.

Is there a way I can make money over the internet, or are all sites promoting such things scams?

I've got no particularly outstanding skills, but I do have the following:
An Associate's Degree in Science
Some experience writing for a print newspaper (opinion columns)
Small amounts of Java programming experience (probably not anything useful, beyond making the computer do math and draw lines)
Above average knowledge of the Bible's contents (probably not useful, since any job that would appreciate that is pro-Bible)
Basic ability to use programs like Microsoft Word and Excel
Experience in volunteer work (no paid employment history, which may be why no job I've applied to thus far will accept me)

Mow Grass, wash cars, wash windows, fetch groceries, start pimping.:run:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Job finding tips:
- Don't lecture a company's recruiter on the evils of capitalism.
- Remove the "I BRAKE FOR REPUBLICANS" bumper sticker before parking in their lot. (It could be misinterpreted.)
- A polo shirt will yield a better interview than camo fatigues.
- Don't mention the other voices in your head.

Kathryn

When asked what your future goals are, don't mention that you're not planning on having kids because you don't consider yourself genetically worthy of reproducing.

That sort of comment is best left out of a job interview.

T-Dawg

Self-appointed Lunatic
Job finding tips:
- Don't lecture a company's recruiter on the evils of capitalism.
- Remove the "I BRAKE FOR REPUBLICANS" bumper sticker before parking in their lot. (It could be misinterpreted.)
- A polo shirt will yield a better interview than camo fatigues.
- Don't mention the other voices in your head.

Meh, I don't plan on lecturing on the evils of capitalism during the interviews (I doubt it will get brought up). Given that I'll presumably be working for a private institution, it would temporarily be hypocritical for me to attack the system while I was actively seeking to join it (later, I'll be working for the government, but for now I don't think that's an option).

I don't have any bumper stickers on my car. In fact, I don't have a car, or a driver's license :/.

I don't own either a polo shirt or a camo fatigue. How are my long-sleeved button-up shirts? (And does plaid vs solid color make a difference?)

I don't expect the voices to come up in any conversation. It's generally not something I go around telling people, given the paranoia towards abnormal people.

When asked what your future goals are, don't mention that you're not planning on having kids because you don't consider yourself genetically worthy of reproducing.

That sort of comment is best left out of a job interview.

I don't think it'll come up.

All of these interview tips are well and good, but I still need to find an interview :/. At this point I think I'll wait until it starts snowing so I can offer to shovel snow for people. Will I need to interview each person that thinks of recruiting me?

I've also decided to go with a cheaper Christmas present, so the need for cash isn't as urgent.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Meh, I don't plan on lecturing on the evils of capitalism during the interviews (I doubt it will get brought up). Given that I'll presumably be working for a private institution, it would temporarily be hypocritical for me to attack the system while I was actively seeking to join it (later, I'll be working for the government, but for now I don't think that's an option).
I don't have any bumper stickers on my car. In fact, I don't have a car, or a driver's license :/.
I don't own either a polo shirt or a camo fatigue. How are my long-sleeved button-up shirts? (And does plaid vs solid color make a difference?)
I don't expect the voices to come up in any conversation. It's generally not something I go around telling people, given the paranoia towards abnormal people.
Sounds like you're on the right track.
Shirts: Solid is safe...plaid is only OK if it's the correct one for your clan.

T-Dawg

Self-appointed Lunatic
Sounds like you're on the right track.
Shirts: Solid is safe...plaid is only OK if it's the correct one for your clan.

Drat, four out of my five shirts are plaid... how do I know which is the "correct one for my clan"? I didn't even know I had a clan...

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Drat, four out of my five shirts are plaid... how do I know which is the "correct one for my clan"? I didn't even know I had a clan...
You'll have to do some family research.
It took me a while to find a pic of Groundskeeper Plaid.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
I'd be careful with temp agencies. You will earn less money than your coworkers at a job, have no benefits, and you have zero job security. The one time I worked for a temp agency I was promised a full time job by a supervisor of the place I was sent to work at, and a couple weeks later as I was putting my shoes on to leave for work, I got a call from the temp agency saying my contract was up. That put me in a very bad spot as I had just moved out of my parents for the first time a couple months before that.
As for commuting, use your best judgement. Sometimes it is not worth it if you are driving too far and putting too much of your money into the commute.
You may be able to get a paper route, if working late nights won't interfere too much with your school schedule and if any foot routes would be available. And plasma donating may be available in your area. And if dumpster diving is legal in your area you can walk around on trash night and find all sorts of electronics and other things to scrap for cash. One of my friends was even fortunate enough to find four or five guitars and a drum set for Guitar Hero, all working and in good condition, just sitting in a trash can along an alley. Another one of my friends just found an HDTV sitting in a box next to a trash can. And it works just fine too. You can even find vacuum cleaners, printers, tvs and computer monitors, computers, and other things that can get you some money. Not much per item, but it all adds ups.
But my problems seem to be very similar to yours. I don't have the experience, degrees/certifications, tools, or whatever it is most jobs are requiring. It's also hurting that I can't have anytime availability because I'm in school. I'm almost tempted to go on disabilities (my knees are very bad) just because it has been so hard for me to find a job, and I have been looking for so long.

Last edited: