• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How do we get manufacturing back?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Unfortunately, US greed overwhelms our desire for growth and technology.
I don't buy it.
Greed fueled growth & technology in the 19th & 20th century, so I wouldn't blame it for our current decline.
What pertinent changes did we see from then through now?
Greatly increased domestic regulation of industry & the rise of foreign competition.

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
I don't buy it.
Greed fueled growth & technology in the 19th & 20th century, so I wouldn't blame it for our current decline.
What pertinent changes did we see from then through now?
Greatly increased domestic regulation of industry & the rise of foreign competition.
The advancements of the 19th and 20th century were motivated by different things. Keeping up with Russia, War, etc.

I've worked in manufacturing for 14 years and there was a time when American engineers were given a chance to develop and design a machine that could compete with the low cost of China. That is no longer the case.

Many companies don't look to be the best at anything so long as they make money with Walmart quality products.

But we buy them so...

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
The advancements of the 19th and 20th century were motivated by different things. Keeping up with Russia, War, etc.
Russia played no role til after WW2. War & the threat thereof is ever present, & there's little change there.
In fact, we fell behind Europeans in military technology during WW1 & WW2, yet our manufacturing base was booming.
(That saved our bacon during WW2, when we could crank out tanks, planes & bombs faster than our foes. Those days are dying if not already gone.)

I've worked in manufacturing for 14 years and there was a time when American engineers were given a chance to develop and design a machine that could compete with the low cost of China. That is no longer the case.
Many companies don't look to be the best at anything so long as they make money with Walmart quality products.
But we buy them so...
I worked in manufacturing too, but not in cheap sh** consumer products.
The USA is a very expensive & difficult place to do business.

Last edited: