• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How Do We Know God Loves Us?

Beta

Define "Dead Meat"

Perhaps a better description would be ' walking dead ' ?
Unless we become 'converted' we will die the eternal death and even now we are dead unless converted.
A RIDDLE ? not really if you think about it.

Metempsychosis

Reincarnation of 'Anti-religion'
Hi anti, as far as monotheism goes I suppose it depends on how you define it. I don't usually think of monotheism as including definitions about false gods or a Devil. But that doesn't matter to me much...
But the "monotheism" in strict sense refers to abrahamic religion where only one god is allowed and not other gods.This is name when attached to Hinduism is rather misleading ,but it is fine.:)

I am wondering where you got the date for the BG (or in other words, the Mahabharata) being 200-300 BCE and why you consider this dating source to be legitimate? I ask because I have looked into many sources over the last few years and just about every source I find provides a different date but fails to mention how it came to this conclusion.

Wiki states: "The date and authorship of the Gita are not known with certainty and scholars of an earlier generation opined that it was composed between the 5th and the 2nd century BCE."

So there is no way to prove the exact date of Gita.

It is "popular" fact that the Gita is post-buddhist work. Even tough I consider krishna to have lived around 3000 BCE ,the Gita was *written* down only between post-buddhist and pre-christian era.

During The Vedic Hinduism(around 1800-1100 BCE ) which includes rig veda---The monsitic concept is not clearly defined and occurs later in the mandalas (like the purusha Sukta).Much of earlier Upanishads were written starting from around 900 BCE ( pre-buddist time period).It is also said the Gita represents a theistic devotional tradition quite different from the speculative philosophy of the earlier upanishads.IMHO,This is the reason why gita is not given the status of "shruti" by some hindu sects.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
But the "monotheism" in strict sense refers to abrahamic religion where only one god is allowed and not other gods.This is name when attached to Hinduism is rather misleading ,but it is fine.:)

Wiki states: "The date and authorship of the Gita are not known with certainty and scholars of an earlier generation opined that it was composed between the 5th and the 2nd century BCE."

So there is no way to prove the exact date of Gita.

It is "popular" fact that the Gita is post-buddhist work. Even tough I consider krishna to have lived around 3000 BCE ,the Gita was *written* down only between post-buddhist and pre-christian era.

During The Vedic Hinduism(around 1800-1100 BCE ) which includes rig veda---The monsitic concept is not clearly defined and occurs later in the mandalas (like the purusha Sukta).Much of earlier Upanishads were written starting from around 900 BCE ( pre-buddist time period).It is also said the Gita represents a theistic devotional tradition quite different from the speculative philosophy of the earlier upanishads.IMHO,This is the reason why gita is not given the status of "shruti" by some hindu sects.

What about the whole Mahabharata? Was it written at the same time as Gita or do you think that the Gita was added later?
I thought that theistic traditions in India dated back a very long time. Weren't the theistic and monistic traditions simply more or less popular in different parts of the country?
I get the impression that worship to personal forms, even to just Indra or various demigods was common very far back in history.
I need to find my old sources. I used to have really good information about different evidence for these things. I'll be back!

Metempsychosis

Reincarnation of 'Anti-religion'
What about the whole Mahabharata? Was it written at the same time as Gita or do you think that the Gita was added later?
I thought that theistic traditions in India dated back a very long time. Weren't the theistic and monistic traditions simply more or less popular in different parts of the country?
I get the impression that worship to personal forms, even to just Indra or various demigods was common very far back in history.
I need to find my old sources. I used to have really good information about different evidence for these things. I'll be back!

You are right...Also monistic (and semi-dualistic) traditions are theistic and they date far back to rig veda (that is why they are Hindu ,other wise they will be added to Shramanic traditions like Buddhism).But Gita represents height of devotional fervor and particularly emphasizes worship of personal god. Lets us not deviate from the OP

Last edited by a moderator: