• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How Do We Know What Ultimate Reality Is?

logician

Movies like the "Matrix" makes you wonder what is reality, and what is illusion, maybe the whole universe is an elaborate illusion, who's to say?

shema

Sunstone said:
What is Ultimate Reality?

How do we know that is so?

I believe people make their own realities. In my reality, I am a spirit who goes to and fro from the spirit world to this world/earth. I have a soul and I live in a body. My body connects to everything in this world. Not like I'm in the matrix or anything, but I believe everything in the spirit world is real, and everything in the natural realm is not or is subject to change.

logician

The one idea I cannot come to a conclusion on is whether the universe would exist if there was no conciousness anywhere, i.e. if nobody perceives it, is it really there?

shema

wanderer085 said:
The one idea I cannot come to a conclusion on is whether the universe would exist if there was no conciousness anywhere, i.e. if nobody perceives it, is it really there?

A good question. what about autistic/retarded people, or what about babies in the womb?

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
wanderer085 said:

If a tree fell in the forest and no one heard it is still fell down. It also is still your fault.

Random

wanderer085 said:

NO. Presence defines Reality, presence requires Consciousness to introduce Time and the Quantum effects of this process impact @ the sub-atomic level, maintaining the Real by inversion, encyclically. If no-one is experiencing or has experienced it, it doesn't exist. However, this does not apply to the concept of God who transcends this arrangement: He simply IS, indwelling and constant.

logician

"However, this does not apply to the concept of God who transcends this arrangement: He simply IS, indwelling and constant."

This is your concept, however, no evidence exists to support this assertion.

Random

wanderer085 said:
This is your concept, however, no evidence exists to support this assertion.

Prove to me you can conceptualize what I'm talking about properly, then you won't need to ask for hard proofs of self-evident things.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
Godlike said:
NO. Presence defines Reality, presence requires Consciousness to introduce Time and the Quantum effects of this process impact @ the sub-atomic level, maintaining the Real by inversion, encyclically. If no-one is experiencing or has experienced it, it doesn't exist. However, this does not apply to the concept of God who transcends this arrangement: He simply IS, indwelling and constant.

Be careful. This is only one possible interpretation of Quantum physics. Others might speculate that our conscious observations do not affect reality but merely limits our perceptions to one actuality out of multiple possibilities. In other words all of the possibilities that exist before the observation continue to exist after the observation, but after the observation we will only be able to perceive one. It is not reality that is limited, it is us. If this is the case then conscious is not needed for existence.

JerryL

Be careful. This is only one possible interpretation of Quantum physics. Others might speculate that our conscious observations do not affect reality but merely limits our perceptions to one actuality out of multiple possibilities. In other words all of the possibilities that exist before the observation continue to exist after the observation, but after the observation we will only be able to perceive one. It is not reality that is limited, it is us. If this is the case then conscious is not needed for existence.
This is also a more consistant opinion as it avoids the "checken or egg" prblem of the alternative. If reality cannot exist without an observer, and an observer is real, then an observer cannot exist without reality which relies on his existace. It's circular.

logician

"Prove to me you can conceptualize what I'm talking about properly, then you won't need to ask for hard proofs of self-evident things."

No god-concept is unversally "self-evident", otherwise it would be universally accepted.

Random

wanderer085 said:
No god-concept is unversally "self-evident", otherwise it would be universally accepted.

I did not say it was Universally self-evident or accepted, you have introduced this now to save your argument. Regardless, my statement remains true and no hard proof can be asked for or given in such matters, nor is any required.

autonomous1one1

Premium Member
Sunstone said:
What is Ultimate Reality?
How do we know that is so?
Lots of good humor in this thread, Sunstone. Where do you come up with these questions? lol

As one who used the term 'ultimate reality' in another thread let me explain. First of all, words and terms only point to what one means. For example, there were not any two postings that agreed on the meaning of 'religion' in that other thread; so the use of religion is only a pointer and will be interpreted differently but with some degree of commonality. My use of the term 'ultimate reality' was meant to point the reader to something most important for interpretation of 'ultimate concern' rather than to more normal concerns such as money that people have. This is not a cop out, however, on use of the term 'ultimate reality,' for, to me, it applies to the knowledge gained from Enlightenment. How do we know it is so - though Enlightenment.

As to whether science can ever help with this kind of knowledge is uncertain in my thinking. My belief in science is great, and if science turns attention to enhanced work on the mind, consciousness, and awareness and can couple that with fundamental theories as Seyorni mentions, who knows in time. My favorites relate to the unified field theory bringing in 'other dimensions' and quantum field theory trying to explain the first very, very small fraction of a second in the big bang theory. My arrival to RF is too recent to have allowed time to read the other science threads so my apologies if these comments are redundant.

Random

autonomous1one1 said:
My arrival to RF is too recent to have allowed time to read the other science threads so my apologies if these comments are redundant.

In no way are they redundant, 1one1. The Atheists on here to debunk religion can't get enough of stuff like that! :D