• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How do you describe your practices as beliefs?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I did a thread on how do you express your beliefs as practices. We had some belief-based people answer from a practice perspective. What about the other way around?

Yes. Yes. Yes. I know they are interrelated. Since we had some belief-based religious answered in a practice-based point of view, I hope those who are practice-focus can think about their beliefs instead.

I know we are not aliens to each other. One is no better than the other. Just thought I'd see what the opposing side would say.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I see belief as a source of duty and responsibility.

To an extent, having beliefs as our guides is the mark of a shortcoming. Yet real life does not always allow one the luxury of avoiding beliefs entirely before decisions are made.

1AOA1

I did a thread on how do you express your beliefs as practices. We had some belief-based people answer from a practice perspective. What about the other way around?

Yes. Yes. Yes. I know they are interrelated. Since we had some belief-based religious answered in a practice-based point of view, I hope those who are practice-focus can think about their beliefs instead.

I know we are not aliens to each other. One is no better than the other. Just thought I'd see what the opposing side would say.
It depends on the composition of belief. For example, an aluminum chair is composed of aluminum. If belief is composed of the spirit then the theistic life is the practice.

allfoak

Alchemist
I try not to hold any beliefs, they are a hindrance to spiritual growth.
What i practice i know, i have no need for belief.

Changing lead into gold has nothing to do with belief.

Last edited:

tjgillies

My practices are commanded so they are my beliefs. Prayer is obligatory. We also have a gathering every 19 days that we are told we should do. Not sure if I am answering the question correctly.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
My practices are commanded so they are my beliefs. Prayer is obligatory. We also have a gathering every 19 days that we are told we should do. Not sure if I am answering the question correctly.

I dont know. Better question for all. If you did not pracfice/do anything, would you have a religion?

tjgillies

I dont know. Better question for all. If you did not pracfice/do anything, would you have a religion?
The Baha'i teach that the true essence of religion is belief in God. So even if I didn't pray or go to feast I would still believe in God therefore I would still have religion. Although I can't fathom how I could know God and not worship him. To me these seem like two sides of the same coin.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
This is true in the beginning.
Once one has gained some experience faith becomes knowing.
How do you define faith?

I keep thinking you all are connecting belief to dogmatic religions and/or abrahamic in nature.

I believe my mother loves me not just because of her actions and what she says but my connection to her as a daughter to mother. Its an internal sense that does not need to be confirmed by action but action is important "too".

Belief is the abstract words: insight, awareness, peace, oneness, whatever

Practice is what brings one to these beliefs (or whatever term is appropriate). I meditate, pray, dance, and sing.

They dont need to be a purpose we are aware of. Im sure we can identify it in relations to our practices.

Last edited:

tjgillies

How do you define faith?

I keep thinking you all are connecting belief to dogmatic religions and/or abrahamic in nature.

I believe my mother loves me not just because of her actions and what she says but my connection to her as a daughter to mother. Its an internal sense that does not need to be confirmed by action but action is important "too".

Belief is the abstract words: insight, awareness, peace, oneness, whatever

Practice is what brings one to these beliefs (or whatever term is appropriate). I meditate, pray, dance, and sing.

They dont need to be a purpose we are aware of. Im sure we can identify it in relations to our practices.
For me faith has two components. Knowledge and worship. By knowledge I mean a spiritual knowledge not a scientific knowledge. It is more akin to belief. Whereas worship is more akin to practice. I think these two things are like yin and yang. Separate but intertwined

Last edited:

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
More me faith has two components. Knowledge and worship. By knowledge I mean a spiritual knowledge not a scientific knowledge. It is more akin to belief. Whereas worship is more akin to practice. I think these two things are like yin and yang. Separate but intertwined

What would be the knowledge based on your religion?

tjgillies

What would be the knowledge based on your religion?
The knowledge is like the understanding of who God is and what his plan for humanity is and what the afterlife is etc. I guess you could call it the "theology" part.

If you're asking for specifics that's kinda hard since our founder wrote a lot of stuff. It's estimated his writings are the size of the bible 15 times over.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
The knowledge is like the understanding of who God is and what his plan for humanity is and what the afterlife is etc. I guess you could call it the "theology" part.

If you're asking for specifics that's kinda hard since our founder wrote a lot of stuff. It's estimated his writings are the size of the bible 15 times over.

Thank you. The word "beliefs" throws some people off just as "practice" throws belief based people off. Almost like they are basing the basic objective definition of these words on the definition of their opposing party instead.

tjgillies

Thank you. The word "beliefs" throws some people off just as "practice" throws belief based people off. Almost like they are basing the basic objective definition of these words on the definition of their opposing party instead.
The Baha'i believe that the idea of opposing parties is itself a bad idea.

allfoak

Alchemist
How do you define faith?

Emphasis mine.

Metaphysical meaning of faith (rw)
faith--The perceiving power of the mind linked with the power to shape substance. Spiritual assurance; the power to do the seemingly impossible. It is a magnetic power that draws unto us our heart's desire from the invisible spiritual substance. Faith is a deep inner knowing that that which is sought is already ours for the taking. "Now faith is assurance of things hoped for" (Heb. 11:1).

A close analysis shows that faith is the foundation of all that man does. Jesus spoke of a new condition for the upliftment of the race. He called it the "kingdom of the heavens." He said it must be built upon the foundation typified by Peter (rock), who represents faith. This is proof that faith is closely related to the enduring, firm. unyielding forms of substance. The development of the faith faculty is a key to spiritual realization. "According to your faith be it done unto you" (Matt. 9:29).

Faith in God is the substance of existence. To have faith in God is to have the faith of God. We must have faith in God as our Father and source of all the good we desire.

Faith is more than mere belief. It is the very substance of that which is believed. It works by love. Thoughts of condemnation, enmity, and resistance must be released and divine love declared; then faith will work unhindered.

Faith working in spiritual substance accomplishes all things. This is the faith that co-operates with creative law. When faith is exercised deep in spiritual consciousness, it finds its abode; and under divine law, without variation or disappointment, it brings results that are seemingly miraculous.

faith, blind--An instinctive trust in a power higher than ourselves. Because blind faith does not understand the principles of Being, it is liable to discouragement and disappointment.

faith, center of--The pineal gland, located in the middle of the brain, is the center of faith in the body of man. Concentration of thought on this center opens the mind of man to spiritual faith

http://www.truthunity.net/rw/faith

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
No practice other than being a nice person who comlfortably goes with the society for me. I am an atheist and therefore no prayers or rituals. I am asked only to fulfill my worldly duties. But, I need to tolerate different beliefs in my religion, that too is a (necessary) requirement.

Kelly of the Phoenix

I pray because I believe God listens. (Maybe He doesn't always say "yes", but God, I believe, is not so petty as to put someone one "ignore", since unless us humans He's responsible for everyone.)

I seek to learn about people and stuff because I believe that a)God told me to and b) there is benefit to being informed as I worship Truth and you can't have Truth if you refuse to look for facts.

I help people even when it is unprofitable of me to do so because I believe that we are all connected. If everyone contributes a drop of water, there will later be enough to float the ship.