• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How Do You Know That All Of Existence Won’t End The Day You Die?

Jimmy

Veteran Member
I have had deja-vu moments. Psychologists have an explanation for this kind of thing, however there are some experiences I've had, too, which could be considered either paranormal or else very lucky.

Reality. Reality is one thing and sensing reality is another. Your question is like the holo-deck question. If your world is not real, does it matter? What makes a fake world real? My answer is that its relationships and also proof of work. Even if your world is the absolute basis of reality it won't seem real without relationships. Instead it will seem pointless, perhaps arbitrary. Just look at what happens to the minds of cult leaders and certain absurdly successful people like Howard Hughes. Therefore to even begin to assess what is real you have to have some relationships first. Proof of work is related but is more about creative processes. Creation takes time. Boundaries are also related -- you know limitations such as not being able to summon lightning.

What about pets for relationships? Maybe they are good enough maybe not. It couldn't hurt to have a pet. Some people get a lot from pets, but pets can be outsmarted. Pets are easily manipulated, so I think they cannot perfectly heal a lost sense of reality. There's nothing like people with their own wills and realizations. They are inexplicable, internally secretive. They are, unfortunately, sometimes not easy to get along with. They can hurt us, and so sometimes we withdraw. In that case pets are the best we can do though we can try and reconnect with people.

Books. I think a sense of awe and gratitude might be effective in gaining some objectivity. I can own books, but I don't mistake that for knowing what is in them. I can own a book, but I don't presume that it means I am the author. The content is something that I cannot create as I am reading. Its far too complex for my mind to create on the fly.

Music. Ever more complex and pleasant music. Who can predict what is next every time? There is so much music.

But do I absolutely know? What I know is this that it is unsurprising if we cannot understand the context of reality. It follows from some basic truths about context. Consider if you can Godel's discovery that no logical system can prove that it has no contradictions within itself. Proofs always must presume some axioms. Parts must fit into a machine without which they are meaningless shapes. Therefore if I truly could understand the context of reality that would be the frightening evidence that it might not be real.
So you’re basically saying it’s a possibility.

Jimmy

Veteran Member
Is that what you claim to be?

You clearly regard yourself as being superhuman
I don’t really care for saying God in the flesh because it comes from the Bible and it sounds too much like Jesus but outside that context yeah I could be considered in that way.

Eddi

Pantheist Christian
Premium Member
I don’t really care for saying God in the flesh because it comes from the Bible and it sounds too much like Jesus but outside that context yeah I could be considered in that way.
Well, I'm pretty certain I am more of a mere figment of your imagination

Nobody is, the entire notion is really quite insulting

It's good that there is no truth to it

Jimmy

Veteran Member
I’m really surprised no one hasn’t said that they know that they’re not that person. I find that odd. One would think that one would know themselves. I’m pretty certain I would if I knew that.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
Thanks!

I will add that to my long, long, looooong to read list!
I've got a long one, too. :)
Some Vedantists consider we've all got that Divine spark.
I’m really surprised no one hasn’t said that they know that they’re not that person. I find that odd. One would think that one would know themselves. I’m pretty certain I would if I knew that.
People spend their whole lives trying to know themselves.

Jimmy

Veteran Member
I have my reasons, but I'm not going to spell it out because I know that for whatever reason you believe this about yourself and there is no point in aggravating you about it.
We’re you going to diagnose me and tell me I need help? That wouldn’t aggravate me.