• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How do you "KNOW" your religion is true?

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
This is mostly for those who claim unashamedly and outright that they have the truth. They know they have it, no question in their minds. Also, their religion is true and everyone else's is false.

For people like this, how do you know this? Explain?

Rainbow Mage

I'm expecting either answers revolving around intuition, scriptural claims, or personal experiences. :)

Much more the middle option then the former or later. From experience, those who go on feelings and experiences don't usually claim objective truths. You and I, for example :)

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
Much more the middle option then the former or later. From experience, those who go on feelings and experiences don't usually claim objective truths. You and I, for example :)
I agree, especially the latter. When one has had experiences, for example, they realize God is big enough for everyone and not confined to a small group. :D

BruceDLimber

I'm sure of my religious beliefs as a direct reult of extensive reading, prayer, investigation, research, and observation.

Since coupled with over 39 years as a Baha'i during which I have NOT ONCE found any reason to regret this!

HOWEVER: As to your second statement, it's completely wrong!

The Baha'i Faith explicitly recognizes the other great religions in its scriptures and in no way claims any sort of exclusivitiy or superiority over them!

The only distinction is that the Baha'i Faith is the most recent Divine Revelation and therefore has the social teachings for this Age, not some other millenia ago! And this distinction, too, shall end when another Divine Messenger appears.

Peace, :)

Bruce

Last edited:

waitasec

Veteran Member

HOWEVER: As to your second statement, it's completely wrong!

The Baha'i Faith explicitly recognizes the other great religions in its scriptures and in no way claims any sort of exclusivitiy or superiority over them!

The only distinction is that the Baha'i Faith is the most recent Divine Revelation and therefore has the social teachings for this Age, not some other millenia ago! And this distinction, too, shall end when another Divine Messenger appears.

Peace, :)

Bruce

then why is there such a big to do with covenant breakers?

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
'Is your religion real when it costs you nothing and carries no risk? Is your religion real when you fatten upon it? Is your religion real when you commit atrocities in its name? Whence comes your downward degeneration from the original revelation?'

lunamoth

Will to love
6 “Is not this the kind of fasting I have chosen:
to loose the chains of injustice
and untie the cords of the yoke,
to set the oppressed free
and break every yoke?
7 Is it not to share your food with the hungry
and to provide the poor wanderer with shelter—
when you see the naked, to clothe them,
and not to turn away from your own flesh and blood?
8 Then your light will break forth like the dawn,
and your healing will quickly appear;
then your righteousness[a] will go before you,
and the glory of the LORD will be your rear guard.
9 Then you will call, and the LORD will answer;
you will cry for help, and he will say: Here am I. “If you do away with the yoke of oppression,
with the pointing finger and malicious talk,
10 and if you spend yourselves in behalf of the hungry
and satisfy the needs of the oppressed,
then your light will rise in the darkness,
and your night will become like the noonday.

- Isaiah 58

Ubjon

This is mostly for those who claim unashamedly and outright that they have the truth. They know they have it, no question in their minds. Also, their religion is true and everyone else's is false.

In order to be verified then they need to make testable claims. I know that the effectiveness of praying for a complication-free and quick recovery following surgery has been tested and found to make no statistically significant difference (Actually some of those prayed for did worse).

Of course like homoepaths when they don't get the results they want they claim that the test was flawed and give a list of nonsense excuses.

Jacksnyte

Reverend
'Is your religion real when it costs you nothing and carries no risk? Is your religion real when you fatten upon it? Is your religion real when you commit atrocities in its name? Whence comes your downward degeneration from the original revelation?'

Very nice!:)

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon

Well, I'm not one of those people, but I hope you don't mind my putting in my two cents worth anyway since I come from a religious tradition where people are very fond of putting it that way (i.e. "I know the [Mormon] Church is true."). I don't claim to "know" anything of a spiritual nature, but I do have a very strong belief. If I were to say simply, "I believe..." it would probably not have the impact I want it to have. The best way for me to explain where I stand with respect to my religion being true is to say, "I am convinced..."

As far as a conviction that there is a God out there is concerned, I simply cannot accept the possibility that this isn't so. I've tried. I've made attempts to convince myself that our universe, our Earth, and all life on it could have come about without any kind of divine direction. I can't. I have tried and I can't do it. My mind just won't go there, any more than the minds of so many atheists I know can conceive of the existance of a Higher Power. In all honestly, I believe that our inclination towards a belief in the divine is pretty much hard-wired. That's why I don't ever attempt to convince atheists that they should believe in God.

From there (i.e. from my belief in God) forward, I have to accept what I can make sense of, what is logically possible to me. I've done this through the process of elimination. I can't explain God "logically" but I can make a whole lot of logical arguments that He is not the Trinity that was defined at Nicea in 325 A.D. Consequently, I have to reject any Christian religion that embraces that doctrine. I also believe that God is not only loving but just. A just God would not send billions of people to an eternal in Hell because they happened to have been born at the wrong time or in the wrong place to have had the opportunity to hear the gospel of Jesus Christ. So, I have to reject any religion which teaches that this is, in fact, what's going to happen, and tough ***** for the people it happens to affect. To me, a God that stresses the importance of love between a man and woman would not dissolve that relationship when we die, so I can't accept any religion that says that's what's going to happen. It makes perfect sense to me that if God spoke to His people for thousands of years through men He would call as prophets, He wouldn't just stop when Jesus Christ came to Earth, nor would He call someone a few hundred years later (i.e. Muhammed) and say, "That's it. He's the last one." He would continue to do what He did for four thousand years. I'd have to go with a religion that taught what I believe in that regard.

As to why I can't go with any of the eastern or non-revealed religions, I suppose it's that to me, if God created me, He must care about me. He would have to be a personal God in order for me to feel that He was worthy of my worship. It would pretty much have to be the Abrahamic God.

But, here's the bottom line as far as I'm concerned... If there is a God, I believe He loves us. I believe that He is merciful and just. To me, it just doesn't make sense that if it was so important to Him that we understand perfectly everything about Him and what He expects of us, He is fully capable of making sure that we couldn't possibly get it wrong. I think He wants us to get it right, but I don't think that the time He's given us to do so is going to be resticted to our mortality. I think our opportunities will continue after our bodies are laying in the ground, and I think things will be clearer to us then than they are now. And I definitely don't think that He is going to turn everyone who failed to get all of the facts right into His eternal firewood. He loves us and He created us for completely unselfish reasons.

I don't "know" any of that to be true. But I am "convinced" in my own heart that it's the only perspective that works for me.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
then why is there such a big to do with covenant breakers?

Because the next Divine Messenger isn't supposed to come for the next 1000 years, and the verse containing this teaching is quite clear that it's referring to 1000 cycles of the seasons.

waitasec

Veteran Member
Because the next Divine Messenger isn't supposed to come for the next 1000 years, and the verse containing this teaching is quite clear that it's referring to 1000 cycles of the seasons.

:confused:

what about the book of revelations? does that coincide with the baha'i faith? if not, how does one reconcile the differences?

Last edited:

BruceDLimber

Because, Waitasec, such individuals are attempting to destroy the Faith from within in direct violation of many statements in our scriptures.

Nothing whatever to do with another Messenger eventually appearing--which in any case won't happen for a long time yet.

Peace,

Bruce

Rainbow Mage

Chinu Pagan religions don't force anyone to be Pagan either. Now is Paganism true?