• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How do you pray in your religion?

Bishka

Veteran Member
What is your sacrament prayer if you don't mind me asking?

Not at all, you kind find it in the Book of Mormon as well as the Doctrine and Covenants.
The first one is the prayer for the bread, the second one is the prayer for the water.

"3 O God, the Eternal Father, we ask thee in the name of thy Son, Jesus Christ, to bless and sanctify this bread to the souls of all those who partake of it; that they may eat in remembrance of the body of thy Son, and witness unto thee, O God, the Eternal Father, that they are willing to take upon them the name of thy Son, and always remember him, and keep his commandments which he hath given them, that they may always have his Spirit to be with them. Amen." (Moroni 4:3)
(Also found in Doctrine and Covenants 20:77)

"2 O God, the Eternal Father, we ask thee, in the name of thy Son, Jesus Christ, to bless and sanctify this wine to the souls of all those who drink of it, that they may do it in remembrance of the blood of thy Son, which was shed for them; that they may witness unto thee, O God, the Eternal Father, that they do always remember him, that they may have his Spirit to be with them. Amen." (Moroni 5:2)
(Also found in Doctrine and Covenants 20:79)

Edit: I didn't see Aqua's response. You just get a double-dose!

ayani

jacquie4000 said:
I am sure your Muslim friends have told you but if you are celebrating Ramadan this year the prayers are quite long if you are not used to it.

**nods** i need to look those up. these days, with Ramadan, i begin the morning like i usually and take time to read the Quran as well, before the day starts.

madhatter85

Transhumanist
Yeah, LDS prayers are more similar to how i've heard Baptists pray. calling on "Heavenly Father" though i forget if they end "In the name of Jesus Christ".

We only have certain formal prayers, but normal prayers are left open to what is heart felt, When blessings are given to people, they are opened in a certain way, but allow you to speak whatever you feel is neccecary to say.

Bishka

Veteran Member
Here is a bit extra that I found in one of my handy reference books.

Some quotations:
President Joseph F. Smith said:
We accept...the doctrines we have been taught by the Prophet Joseph Smith and by the Son of God himself, that we pray to God, the Eternal Father, in the name of his only begotten Son.... (CR1916Oct:1906)

President Spencer W. Kimball said:
"In all our prayers, it is well to use the pronouns thee, thou, thy, and thin instead of you, your and yours inasmuch as they have come to indicate respect." (Faith Precedes the Miracle, p. 201)

Marion Romney said:
"Frequently, prayers are requests for specific blessings. They may, however, and should, include expressions of thanksgiving, praise, worship and adoration." (CR1978Apr:73)

Some scriptures:
2 Nephi 32:9
John 15:16
3 Nephi 19:6
3 Nephi 27:28
Moses 5:8
1 Thessalonians 5:18
D&C 46:32

*CR = Conference Report

moegypt

I will post a link to how muslims pray..

But when muslim pray, No matter who is beside you...
yesterday, Algerian was in left and may be Indonesian in right of me.. In the mosque there are Indians,Egyptians,Malysians,Indonesians,Algerians, tunisians..... and the leader or imam is from Yemen... and we all pray in a mosque in a Qatar.

This makes me feel the beauty of this religion who make a unity of people... You feel that no limits between you and your brothers... It is not important where they from.

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
Prayers to the Gods vary in Paganism in general, and in the Celtic Recon view, hand written poetry is often the best prayer as it is both offering and prayer.
In most recon religions, Celtic ones included, prayer are always accompanied by offerings. Brighid usually prefers art/crafts, milk, Guinness, and sometimes sweet bread (though, I'm finding she has a soft spot for my sugar cookies).
This particular poem/prayer is one that I've used every so often (though, not yet in Ghaeilge), and it comes from a book called Dánta ban:

Bríd buach
Bua na fine,
Siúr rí neimhe,
An duine uasal,
Mionn contúirteach,
Breo leathan.

Ráinigh sí neamh naofa
Muime na nGael,
Riar na n-aíonna,
Aoibheal eagna,
Iníon Dhubhthaigh,
Duine uallach
Bríd bhuach,
Beo na beatha.

(Translation)
Victorious Brigit,
Glory of kindred,
Heaven-king's sister,
Noble person,
Perilous oath,
Far-flung flame.

She has reached holy Heaven,
Gaeldom's foster-mother,
Support of strangers,
Spark of wisdom,
Daughter of Dubhthach,
High-minded lady,
Victorious Brigit,
The living one of life.

It doesn't sound like a prayer in the common form of asking a Deity for something, but most of the time prayers, for me, are ritualistic praises, and supplications are usually done during meditation (and trancework, when I get to that point...).

jacquie4000

Prayers to the Gods vary in Paganism in general, and in the Celtic Recon view, hand written poetry is often the best prayer as it is both offering and prayer.
In most recon religions, Celtic ones included, prayer are always accompanied by offerings. Brighid usually prefers art/crafts, milk, Guinness, and sometimes sweet bread (though, I'm finding she has a soft spot for my sugar cookies).
This particular poem/prayer is one that I've used every so often (though, not yet in Ghaeilge), and it comes from a book called Dánta ban:

Bríd buach
Bua na fine,
Siúr rí neimhe,
An duine uasal,
Mionn contúirteach,
Breo leathan.

Ráinigh sí neamh naofa
Muime na nGael,
Riar na n-aíonna,
Aoibheal eagna,
Iníon Dhubhthaigh,
Duine uallach
Bríd bhuach,
Beo na beatha.

(Translation)
Victorious Brigit,
Glory of kindred,
Heaven-king's sister,
Noble person,
Perilous oath,
Far-flung flame.

She has reached holy Heaven,
Gaeldom's foster-mother,
Support of strangers,
Spark of wisdom,
Daughter of Dubhthach,
High-minded lady,
Victorious Brigit,
The living one of life.

It doesn't sound like a prayer in the common form of asking a Deity for something, but most of the time prayers, for me, are ritualistic praises, and supplications are usually done during meditation (and trancework, when I get to that point...).

Do you ever write your own poetry for your rituals? Do or did you study alot of Celtic history? Why do you say recon religions would you mind explaining? I find it very interesting.

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
Do you ever write your own poetry for your rituals? Do or did you study alot of Celtic history? Why do you say recon religions would you mind explaining? I find it very interesting.

I would like to, and I get nudges from the Gods to make more of an effort to rediscover my inner writer, but it hasn't been to easy. I've written one or two, but I have yet to use them.
I try to do as much reading as I can on Celtic history (specifically Irish with some pan-Celtic material, since within the umbrella of "Celtic" there is more than one path), and the history is essentially the basis for the religion, with modern revelation built upon that framework.
Recon, or reconstructionalist religions would technically fall under the umbrella of paganism, but are not Neo-Pagan in the sense that Wiccans and other modern Pagans are. The focus is on reconstructing and modernizing ancient religions of a particular area and culture, so there is an equal focus on ancient history, ancient and modern culture, and personal gnosis.

Ðanisty

I'm not sure I can discuss my favorite prayers here...they might be better suited to the Eros Room. :cover:

jacquie4000

Ðanisty;941779 said:
I'm not sure I can discuss my favorite prayers here...they might be better suited to the Eros Room. :cover:

Really, Private Message me one, now I am even more curious:D

cardero

Citizen Mod
How do you pray in your religion?
With Patrickism, any thought that crosses my mind is impressed upon the Universe.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
It's My Birthday!
I may be wrong, but I believe that the Latter-day Saints are among the few (if not only) Christians who generally use "King James English" in their prayers. In other words, where most Christians would say, "We thank you for all of the blessings you have given us," we would say, "We thank thee for all of the blessings thou hast given us." New converts to the Church often have quite a hard time switching over to this language. Personally, I don't think that God cares all that much whether we say "you" or "thee," but I just thought I'd throw out this tidbit of information to see if we're the only ones who pray this way.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
It seems there are so many different beliefs when it comes to prayer, what are your thoughts?
In a nutshell, I am simply not "into" prayer nor is it required of me.

How do you pray?
When all that is is within the larger reality of the self, one feels a bit silly praying to that aspect. Why call, when you can just go for a visit, eh?
How do you start and end your prayer?
I do not pray and I am not the slightest bit impressed by those who do pray. It appears to me to be nothing more than spiritual ego stroking.
Are there specific steps to your prayer you feel must be done in order for your God or God's to hear your prayer?
I see God as it is and I don't need to mince words like I do here on RF, lol. God understands me well and I understand IT more than a bit. We get along rather famously, in fact. Do you pray to your best friend? Taken in that context the idea is a tad meaningless.

So how do you pray in your specific religion or belief system?
I simply sit back and let the Jewel in the Lotus shine.

blackout

Violet.
I breathe God in...
I breathe God out...

I live, move and have my being in Him...

I laugh in Her... I cry in Her....

I see and dance and touch and feel...
in the ONENESS of the Great I Am...

For me....
It is all prayer.
Always.

To move Truly free and inspired in the Spirit of Life!!!

We speak to one another in all things.....

jacquie4000

In a nutshell, I am simply not "into" prayer nor is it required of me.

When all that is is within the larger reality of the self, one feels a bit silly praying to that aspect. Why call, when you can just go for a visit, eh?
I do not pray and I am not the slightest bit impressed by those who do pray. It appears to me to be nothing more than spiritual ego stroking.
I see God as it is and I don't need to mince words like I do here on RF, lol. God understands me well and I understand IT more than a bit. We get along rather famously, in fact. Do you pray to your best friend? Taken in that context the idea is a tad meaningless.

I simply sit back and let the Jewel in the Lotus shine.

To be so connected, what can one say?:p