• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How do you reconcile the issue of Hell

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
Salaam salaam,

How do you reconcile the issue of hell? Considering that according to the viewpoint many good people will go to hell just for lacking belief how will you be able to deal with that?
Take for example, what if your parents went to hell for simply not believing. This was one of my biggest fears.
In al-Qur'an surat al-Mutaf'fifin ayah 34-35 read "So, today those who believed will laugh at the disbelievers. While sitting on thrones, they will be seeing".

This sounds highly sadistic to me and portrays an act of mercilessness considering that god could have guided a person to himself if he wanted to. I have actually never seen the issue of hell addressed in any positive light in Islam. Christianity has dealt with this while I have heard of no true justice being served in Jahannam in the case of Islam

ametist

So isnt it now about sitting on a throne and criticizing issiue of hell when accepted by others. Was there anything sadistic with it?

Biggest fears bring greatest of mistakes.Which is fine at the the start. We learn from our mistakes.

There was somebody, a muslim I guess, whose prayer was that he claimed the right from god to fill whole of hell alone so that nobody else would be able to enter it. There are ways to recoincile issue of hell only through love, without first trying to reject its existence or its creator. With rejection of each thing in life, with the need of posing a strong position against anything in life, we actually deny a part of ourselves.

It is only within god's knowledge who lacks belief or who will go to hell. We cant among each other know who will go to hell and who will be spared out of it. Even that muslims prayer to occupy whole of hell alone might have been accepted.Which would actually make two heavens together.Laughing is realized when watching 'hell' looking at the 'disbeliever'. God is source of endless mercy.

Last edited:

Union

Salaam salaam,

How do you reconcile the issue of hell? Considering that according to the viewpoint many good people will go to hell just for lacking belief how will you be able to deal with that?
Take for example, what if your parents went to hell for simply not believing. This was one of my biggest fears.
In al-Qur'an surat al-Mutaf'fifin ayah 34-35 read "So, today those who believed will laugh at the disbelievers. While sitting on thrones, they will be seeing".

This sounds highly sadistic to me and portrays an act of mercilessness considering that god could have guided a person to himself if he wanted to. I have actually never seen the issue of hell addressed in any positive light in Islam. Christianity has dealt with this while I have heard of no true justice being served in Jahannam in the case of Islam

W/Salaam . I like to share a discussion which I had with one of my friends in the forum . Check it may have relevance with your inquiry :

[002:281] And fear the Day when ye shall be brought back to God. Then shall every soul be paid what it earned, and none shall be dealt with unjustly.

[003:025] But how (will they fare) when we gather them together against a day about which there is no doubt, and each soul will be paid out just what it has earned, without (favour or) injustice?
[006:160] He that doeth good shall have ten times as much to his credit: He that doeth evil shall only be recompensed according to his evil: no wrong shall be done unto (any of) them.

[010:054] Every soul that hath sinned, if it possessed all that is on earth, would fain give it in ransom: They would declare (their) repentance when they see the penalty: but the judgment between them will be with justice, and no wrong will be done unto them.

Abstract : Almighty GOD recompenses people equitable as per their deeds …………………..(1)

[023:099] (In Falsehood will they be) Until, when death comes to one of them, he says: "O my Lord! send me back (to life),-
[023:100] "In order that I may work righteousness in the things I neglected." - "By no means! It is but a word he says."- Before them is a Partition till the Day they are raised up.
[023:101] Then when the Trumpet is blown, there will be no more relationships between them that Day, nor will one ask after another!

Abstract : Some people would do evil again n again if they would send back to earth for another chance ……………(2)

[006:128] And on the Day when He will gather them (all) together (and say): "O you assembly of jinns! Many did you mislead of men," and their Auliya (friends and helpers, etc.) amongst men will say: "Our Lord! We benefited one from the other, but now we have reached our appointed term which You did appoint for us." He will say: "The Fire be your dwelling place, you will dwell therein forever, except as Allah may will. Certainly your Lord is AllWise, AllKnowing."
[6:129] We thus match the wicked to be companions of each other, as a punishment for their transgressions.

[011:106] So as to those who are unhappy, they shall be in the fire; for them shall be sighing and groaning in it:
[011:107] Abiding therein so long as the heavens and the earth endure, except as your Lord please; surely your Lord is the mighty doer of what He intends.

Abstract : Not all people will reside in hell forever , if GOD wants HE may can exempt some from hell …………………………….(3)

Now if we put points (1) , (2) and (3) in one equation , we can see that people who intend to do limited sins will end up in hell for limited time and people who intend to do sins forever , they would end up in hell for ever .

Pastek

Sunni muslim
Salaam salaam,

Salam
Is that my decision ? Am i God ? If i like it or not will change nothing, i have no power.

Hamdoullah they are muslims.
Muslims, like you probably know make douaa for their friends, familly ...

This sounds highly sadistic to me and portrays an act of mercilessness considering that god could have guided a person to himself if he wanted to.

Read it in the context.

83.29 Indeed, those who committed crimes used to laugh at those who believed.
83.30 And when they passed by them, they would exchange derisive glances.
83.31 And when they returned to their people, they would return jesting.
And when they saw them, they would say, "Indeed, those are truly lost.

It was people who were mocked before.
You may say it's still cruel, well maybe, but that was people they argued with.

"I have actually never seen the issue of hell addressed in any positive light in Islam. Christianity has dealt with this while I have heard of no true justice being served in Jahannam in the case of Islam

Because Hell is not positive, it's the worst thing ever.
There's nothing to deal with, you are warned by God. If you don't believe then we can't do anything for you, we have no power.

20.113 And thus We have sent it down as an Arabic Qur'an and have diversified therein the warnings that perhaps they will avoid [sin] or it would cause them remembrance.

Maybe you'll be afraid to make sins (and denying God is one of them) when reading the verses about Hell. That's why muslims won't try to make it seems like not true or find explanations to it. I think God made it perfectly clear.

I don't know what say some christians about the Hell, but i know what Jesus said, and it's exaclty like in the Quran.

Rational_Mind

Ahmadi Muslim
[023:099] (In Falsehood will they be) Until, when death comes to one of them, he says: "O my Lord! send me back (to life),-
[023:100] "In order that I may work righteousness in the things I neglected." - "By no means! It is but a word he says."- Before them is a Partition till the Day they are raised up.
[023:101] Then when the Trumpet is blown, there will be no more relationships between them that Day, nor will one ask after another!

Abstract : Some people would do evil again n again if they would send back to earth for another chance ……………(2)

In verse 23:100 it says لعل expressing doubt ("that I may"). It shows they are deeply impressed by Gods Greatness and Majesty and have recognized their wrong doings, they themselves express uncertainty.

But from where do you conclude that they will continue to do evil forever? In fact if Prophets (as) of God has followers who once were great sinners but after recognizing God they turned away how can you be certain that once Allah reveals himself to such people some would continue in evil "again n again"?

What is being conveyed here is faith becomes useless once a thing becomes as certain as an object we grasp in our hands. There is no benefit of faith after Allah(swt) reveals his greatness and majesty to such a degree.

Union

In verse 23:100 it says لعل expressing doubt ("that I may"). It shows they are deeply impressed by Gods Greatness and Majesty and have recognized their wrong doings, they themselves express uncertainty.

But from where do you conclude that they will continue to do evil forever? In fact if Prophets (as) of God has followers who once were great sinners but after recognizing God they turned away how can you be certain that once Allah reveals himself to such people some would continue in evil "again n again"?

What is being conveyed here is faith becomes useless once a thing becomes as certain as an object we grasp in our hands. There is no benefit of faith after Allah(swt) reveals his greatness and majesty to such a degree.

You should have finished reading the verse , where ALLAH (swt) confirmed so :

لعلي اعمل صلحا فيما تركت كلا انها كلمة هو قائلها ومن ورائهم برزخ الى يوم يبعثون

And the analogy of Prophet's companions has nothing to do with verse in question as ALLAH (swt) narrated that situation when the death is already determined :

[23:99] حتى اذا جاء احدهم الموت قال رب ارجعون

Rational_Mind

Ahmadi Muslim
You should have finished reading the verse , where ALLAH (swt) confirmed so :

لعلي اعمل صلحا فيما تركت كلا انها كلمة هو قائلها ومن ورائهم برزخ الى يوم يبعثون

And the analogy of Prophet's companions has nothing to do with verse in question as ALLAH (swt) narrated that situation when the death is already determined :

[23:99] حتى اذا جاء احدهم الموت قال رب ارجعون

I still don't see what you are finding in this verse. To me Allah is not rejecting that they would do good things rather that they will not be sent back as their is a barrier till the day of judgement. Please clarify.

Union

I still don't see what you are finding in this verse. To me Allah is not rejecting that they would do good things rather that they will not be sent back as their is a barrier till the day of judgement. Please clarify.

The barrier is a general condition for each and every soul who dies , regardless good-doer or bad-doer . The point is made by GOD, the Almighty here specifically against their claim that they would do righteous if they would go back that they would never do that . The Arabic word كلا ( Never/Not at all) followed by the reason انها كلمة هو قائلها ( It is but a word he says ) .

Hopefully it clarifies the smoke .

Rational_Mind

Ahmadi Muslim
The barrier is a general condition for each and every soul who dies , regardless good-doer or bad-doer . The point is made by GOD, the Almighty here specifically against their claim that they would do righteous if they would go back that they would never do that . The Arabic word كلا ( Never/Not at all) followed by the reason انها كلمة هو قائلها ( It is but a word he says ) .

Hopefully it clarifies the smoke .

The fact that they say لعل "that I may" shows they aren't affirming that they will do truth. If they affirmed it, then "it is but a word he says" may refer to this statement. To me it is referring to the fact that there is no second chance to go back here, it is too late. So stressing that once must believe when they are at a choice to choose, not when Allah himself reveals the truth such they have no option but to accept themselves to be wrong.

The fact that these disbelievers are no longer confident shows they have accepted. Now they recognize that there is a possibility they can be wrong, while before they thought they were on the right path and never expressed doubt. Clearly there is already a change in them, but it is not worthy of reward as they rejected the truth until it became impossible to reject. There is no reward for someone who accepts something after he has no other choice. Shall we considered a blind man or woman highly moral because he or she has never looked at anyone lustfully?

Lets assume you are correct, Allah says that these people will continue in their evil ways with no change. Well what can you expect of disbelievers who are alive? How can they be expected to believe in God when those who God has made himself manifest to are still going to reject him forever by continuing in evil.

Last edited:

Union

The fact that they say لعل "that I may" shows they aren't affirming that they will do truth. If they affirmed it, then "it is but a word he says" may refer to this statement. To me it is referring to the fact that there is no second chance to go back here, it is too late. So stressing that once must believe when they are at a choice to choose, not when Allah himself reveals the truth such they have no option but to accept themselves to be wrong.

The fact that these disbelievers are no longer confident shows they have accepted. Now they recognize that there is a possibility they can be wrong, while before they thought they were on the right path and never expressed doubt. Clearly there is already a change in them, but it is not worthy of reward as they rejected the truth until it became impossible to reject. There is no reward for someone who accepts something after he has no other choice. Shall we considered a blind man or woman highly moral because he or she has never looked at anyone lustfully?

Lets assume you are correct, Allah says that these people will continue in their evil ways with no change. Well what can you expect of disbelievers who are alive? How can they be expected to believe in God when those who God has made himself manifest to are still going to reject him forever by continuing in evil.

For your last paragraph- GOD, the Almighty never sealed for every disbeliever alive today that they would never accept GOD tomorrow . As the verse in question is talking about when the death approached them and they had exhausted the last second of their life- the situation is completely different .GOD , the Almighty knows everybody's heart and not you and me .