• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How do you think other RFer's sound?

FFH

Veteran Member
JamesThePersian said:
You were actually (and quite inadvertantly) pretty close with one of those places. There's a reasonably good chance that you even have my school (which is where I lost the Yorkshire accent and gained another) on video, even though I doubt that you would have realised that that was what it was.

James
I used a full size video camera with full size VHS tapes. At two hours a piece and about 10 videos I think I probably more than likely have your school on video, but then again that was a 38 day trip which also stretched into Italy, France, Germany, Austria, Holland and Switzerland... It was a whilrwind bus tour, just get tired thinking about it...but we've traveled through England, France and Amsterdam twice or on two seperate trips so we more than likely have seen all the hot spots and probably your school...

Anne Franks hiding place in Amsterdam and Bethovens place are things that come to mind.

FFH

Veteran Member
JamesThePersian said:
You were actually (and quite inadvertantly) pretty close with one of those places. There's a reasonably good chance that you even have my school (which is where I lost the Yorkshire accent and gained another) on video, even though I doubt that you would have realised that that was what it was.

James
Hmmm my wife would know. She's the one who really knows Europe and all the places we went, but she's asleep so I can't ask her....

James the Persian

Dreptcredincios Crestin
FFH said:
So you probably either went to school near Amsterdam or Edinburough.

No, it was in England, and you mentioned the town in your previous post. I don't quite have the accent there (not so strong) but it's closer to that than it is to the Yorkshire (specifically Leeds) accent I had before my parents sent me there.

James

FFH

Veteran Member
JamesThePersian said:
No, it was in England, and you mentioned the town in your previous post. I don't quite have the accent there (not so strong) but it's closer to that than it is to the Yorkshire (specifically Leeds) accent I had before my parents sent me there.

James
Ah, yes the famous Leeds castle http://www.leeds-castle.com/goto.php I stayed at the hotel while my wife and mother-in-law went on that day tour...

Okay so that narrows it down to these 99 colleges...;)

I'm guessing somewhere near Stratford or Clavelle

I'm going to pick out a few since I'm not all that familiar with the geography of England...

Where's that map when you need it...

Without looking at a map....

I'll go with Cambridge, which is the only one I think I have on video, and possibly Oxford, Southhampton, Brighton, Manchester, Nottingham, Leeds, Coventry.

Or give me a minute and I'll narrow it down...

Universities and colleges in england

James the Persian

Dreptcredincios Crestin
No, no, Leeds castle is, confusingly, nowhere near Leeds (well it is but a village called Leeds in Kent, not the city called Leeds in Yorkshire). I grew up in the city. And when I said school I meant school, not university. I went to university in Bangor, North Wales. I attended the school I'm referring to from the age of 11 to 18, it was in England, in a town you've mentioned and within view of (arguably) that town's most famous landmark. You'll get there if you keep at it, just go back and look at the towns, not universities, that you've mentioned so far.

James

No, no, Leeds castle is, confusingly, nowhere near Leeds

Leeds Castle gets a lot of people confused. It had even more people confused when it was featured in an official guide book that listed places of interest in Yorkshire!

FFH

Veteran Member
JamesThePersian said:
No, no, Leeds castle is, confusingly, nowhere near Leeds (well it is but a village called Leeds in Kent, not the city called Leeds in Yorkshire). I grew up in the city. And when I said school I meant school, not university. I went to university in Bangor, North Wales. I attended the school I'm referring to from the age of 11 to 18, it was in England, in a town you've mentioned and within view of (arguably) that town's most famous landmark. You'll get there if you keep at it, just go back and look at the towns, not universities, that you've mentioned so far.

James
Okay then Liverpool and I'll go with the pub the beatles sang in as the landmark or Stratford and Shakespeare's home as the landmark. Has to be one of the two...

James the Persian

Dreptcredincios Crestin
FFH said:
Okay then Liverpool and I'll go with the pub the beatles sang in as the landmark or Stratford and Shakespeare's home as the landmark. Has to be one of the two...

Nope, neither. I've actually never even been to Liverpool (thank goodness it's not there as that has to be my least favourite accent in English language) and have only passed through Stratford without stopping.

James

FFH

Veteran Member
JamesThePersian said:
Nope, neither. I've actually never even been to Liverpool (thank goodness it's not there as that has to be my least favourite accent in English language) and have only passed through Stratford without stopping.

James
Ah, Dover (or Dova as they say);) with of course the White Cliffs as the landmark and I suppose your school is right near there where the ferry carries tourists across the English channel...

James the Persian

Dreptcredincios Crestin
FFH said:
Ah, Dover (Dova as they say in England);)

You got it. I went to the Duke of York's Royal Military School in Dover, within site of the castle (that's the landmark). If you happened to visit that and took your video camera, there's a very good chance that the school will be on film somewhere - just look for a large clock tower nearby. You can also see it just by driving up the main road from the harbour in the direction of London (in fact the cross country course crosses over and under that road), but I doubt you would have been filming then. Interestingly, just about the only Mormons I've ever really known were a family from Dover - one of my friends dated one of the daughters.

As a result I have a kind of mild Kentish accent, with a few odd bits from Yorkshire (I just can't bear the way southerners pronounce the swear word meaning illegitimate child, for instance) mixed in, as well as the aforementioned Germanisms. I don't believe I absorbed any Welsh at university, but I have also got a few Romanianisms mixed in from my wife and for a time I used to say y'all (because I spent a year sharing a house with 3 American southerners - from Tennessee, Kentucky and Alabama). I have a mostly Kentish mongrel accent, in other words.

James

FFH

Veteran Member
JamesThePersian said:
You got it. I went to the Duke of York's Royal Military School in Dover, within site of the castle (that's the landmark). If you happened to visit that and took your video camera, there's a very good chance that the school will be on film somewhere - just look for a large clock tower nearby. You can also see it just by driving up the main road from the harbour in the direction of London (in fact the cross country course crosses over and under that road), but I doubt you would have been filming then. Interestingly, just about the only Mormons I've ever really known were a family from Dover - one of my friends dated one of the daughters.

James
Yes, I think I have the castle on tape and vaguely remember the military school...will have to check it out and see...

I also know an elderly Mormon couple from Dover, living here with thier daughter who is in her 40's and married, but I don't remember their names, it's been a while since I've seen them.

James the Persian

Dreptcredincios Crestin
FFH said:
Yes, I think I have the castle on tape and vaguely remember the military school...will have to check it out and see...

I also know an elderly Mormon couple from Dover, living here with thier daughter who is in her 40's and married, but I don't remember their names, it's been a while since I've seen them.

These aren't elderly - the oldest girl would be about my age (so early 30s now). I'd also note that while you were replying I edited my post to add an explanation of my somewhat unique accent - good luck imagining how it sounds.

James

FFH

Veteran Member
JamesThePersian said:
These aren't elderly - the oldest girl would be about my age (so early 30s now). I'd also note that while you were replying I edited my post to add an explanation of my somewhat unique accent - good luck imagining how it sounds.

James
Yeah, I saw that....very unique accent I'm sure.

FFH

Veteran Member
I have German, English and French ancestry and my father spent three years in Switzerland and Austria and subsequently speaks a little German...

xexon

Destroyer of Worlds
I grew up in Alabama, but even then, I had little accent. No trace remains, or so I'm told by those who know me.

My own voice is light and thin. Probably because I seldom talk.

Words are never preferable to silence.

x

love

tri-polar optimist
I was born in the Tennesee mountains, went to school in Alabama, and reside in Florida. Use your imagination. Speaking of which, have you ever read a good book and have mental pictures of all the characters and then they come out with a movie and ruin it for you?

Hema

Sweet n Spicy
Katzpur said:
Funny? That was WAY, WAY, WAY beyond funny! :biglaugh:

What a coincidence, I got the same email again today but there was a new one in it. Here it is...

USA: Such tasteful Hors d'heurves, sumptuous finger foods, wow!
TnT: Whuddy arse is dis? Whey de blasted food?