• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How does God respond? Your views/experiences

gautamk

Quest for the ultimate
This forum would be the best for questions on Hinduism. I think you would not say that we did not try. :)

I am sure, i would not say that, but for a born Hindu, especially orthodox, where people dare question elders, this serves as a good communication point. If only our gurus and elders teach the younger generation as to why certain rituals/pujas etc are done in a rational way instead of simply putting in fear. :)

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I meant on this subject, like clarifications on what we discussed, some scriptures or works of great masters etc.

I think we all have individual karmas, and that each individual's subconscious mind is a sum total of all experiences that have been put into it. If a child experiences fear, then he becomes a fearful person. Same too with love, a loving person develops out of many loving experiences.

So if you've never had an experience that lends itself to a belief in God, then it's highly unlikely that you would truly believe in God. Of course children can be great fakers, for the parent;s sake, But that's not true belief in my mind.

For an American English relatively simple exploration of Hinduism, the mind, our ethical culture, and all it's ramifications, I can recommend the Master Course trilogy of Himalayan Academy. It explores life in quite the depth, yet isn't for everyone. Fortunately, these expensive books are all free on-line.

Most, if not all of my words, are regurgitated in some form from that study. So maybe if you think I make any sense at all, rather that being some old nutjob, that would be a place to look. :)

Good luck with your search. As Aup said, for a variety of answers from many different viewpoints, this is a great place to pose questions as well.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
Hi all,

I'm having this primordial question bugging me, how does God respond to your prayers/distress signals/your happiness/sorrow other emotions etc...

This is my experience, he has never answered a single good meaning prayer of mine, never responded to my distress signals, no amount of mantra or chanting helped me. I have gone to many gurus, astrologers and you name it, almost became an atheist/agnostic.

Is this simply my karma payback or is it divine will? If at all it is divine then why doesn't it show up? I have simply resigned and now do not pray God to do anything for me as there is no point. I simply do not have the experience to say Yes God exists!

Have you experienced mantras, tantras, and all that Hinduism offer help you in times of distress and when no body stands with you? Request you to share your experiences.

I never really pray for 'things' but just for the wisdom and strength to deal with 'things' the world throws at me.

gautamk

Quest for the ultimate
I think we all have individual karmas, and that each individual's subconscious mind is a sum total of all experiences that have been put into it. If a child experiences fear, then he becomes a fearful person. Same too with love, a loving person develops out of many loving experiences.

So if you've never had an experience that lends itself to a belief in God, then it's highly unlikely that you would truly believe in God. Of course children can be great fakers, for the parent;s sake, But that's not true belief in my mind.

For an American English relatively simple exploration of Hinduism, the mind, our ethical culture, and all it's ramifications, I can recommend the Master Course trilogy of Himalayan Academy. It explores life in quite the depth, yet isn't for everyone. Fortunately, these expensive books are all free on-line.

Most, if not all of my words, are regurgitated in some form from that study. So maybe if you think I make any sense at all, rather that being some old nutjob, that would be a place to look. :)

Good luck with your search. As Aup said, for a variety of answers from many different viewpoints, this is a great place to pose questions as well.

Thank you. I have been brought up in a god believing environment only. I just want to become "God loving" through understanding a little bit rationally as to approaches for that instead of "God fearing". I would rather imagine god as formless, and ritual-less than go the Bhakti route, anyways ultimately, only self-inquiry and time i will get answers, especially through discussion with people of knowledge like in this forum.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
.. for a born Hindu, especially orthodox, where people dare question elders, ..
It is a self-study, one does not 'need to dare question the elders'. Thank them for what they have taught you. They will have their answers while you have to find your answers. :)

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Thank you. I have been brought up in a god believing environment only. I just want to become "God loving" through understanding a little bit rationally as to approaches for that instead of "God fearing". I would rather imagine god as formless, and ritual-less than go the Bhakti route, anyways ultimately, only self-inquiry and time i will get answers, especially through discussion with people of knowledge like in this forum.

My path certainly isn't God fearing. Most of Hinduism isn't. Sometimes (just my personal opinion) when Hinduism had outside interaction, that idea of fearing came into it.

"God Siva is Love, whose absolute reality, Parasivam, transcends time form, and space."

This is the formless God, but still represented by the lingam.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
There is fear, Vinayaka, of going against the 'dharma', wronging another person. That is the greatest fear in Hinduism. After all one has to pay for it. :)

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
There is fear, Vinayaka, of going against the 'dharma', wronging another person. That is the greatest fear in Hinduism. After all one has to pay for it. :)

But that's not the same kind of fear. That's like the fear of Mother, because she will set you straight. :)

ShivaFan

Satyameva Jayate
Premium Member
Namaste

I think many who focus praying for something out of grievance or personal issues are mostly over exaggerating their "problems". And without belittling those who indeed have real sadness, danger to loved ones, or who have lost some aspect of true love or struggling with recovery, many strike me as cry babies who don't know how to have fun in life no matter how clumsy and sunk in melancholy and spirit poverty day to day life can be.

Sure, you mess with my kid I break you. I don't tear myself up about it, I might be smiling while I do it.

Don't underestimate a happy smile, fun and seeking adventure in life. And when you pray to Gods, it is the IMMEDIATE experience of Hinduism that matters, not waiting for some "result". It is that EXPERIENCE that transforms you then and there, not waiting for some result.

That is why, I typically use bhajans, singing devotional songs as I was just doing now about 30 minutes ago to Mother Amba (singing Jai Amba on my guitar) instead of "praying " oh "here is my problem, and this is what I want". Today I am off work because I have to work another day which was suppose to be a day off.

But everyday is sort of a "day off" (from pity of myself), a vacation. So I don't "pray" like that.

In fact that is a Abrahmic form of prayer, I don't do that hardly ever, I may chant a mantra to have an IMMEDIATE transformation of myself, and by that transformation things change, it is like magic and it is adventure. I have darshan and I am transformed, my stirring happens, light moves, and it is literally loving and fun.

If you are praying "here is the deal" and then waiting for a result, you are doing it wrong.

If you sing a bhajan, you will have IMMEDIATE transformation of your spirit. If you don't then you are not doing it right.

Lift your chin up and smile. Smile with an outward look, engage and seek the adventure that awaits you.

If I pray, then I pray to Mother Annapurna, "Maa! Give me Food!".

Sounds simple. But I get spiritual food. And if I get real food too, great, so be it. A nice day. But what I also got was immediate transformation as soon as those words came out of my mouth. And then I have a great adventure even while the termites eat my house. I may be rich but I don't live rich. Everything is simple for me. The rites, the bhajans, the simple food and holy prashad. I don't care very long if the skunk sprays. I might die in the next 10 minutes. Oh well. It sure is fun. Because of the experience. Of Hinduism. Dharma.

Sure, by the way, you may suffer or be suffeing karma. But we can also associate with each other by the "magic payphone" of murti, mantra, bhajan, darshan, it isn't just you and your Lord, we are all here too and others and it is a great time. I am not talking about this forum. I am talking about engaging Hinduism. So it was fun to put in my 2 cents and now back to less talk about Hinduism until I get a chance to pop a cracker later. I don't ever "teach", that isn't my role nor do I care what you think. I just have adventures.

Good luck and there is a thing called "good luck". Wink and you will see. Om Namah Sivaya

Maya3

The way I think of it is that God is a strong energy and force that is within me and everywhere, if I pray I think that I'm directing this energy in a positive way.
It's rare that I pray though, I usually just chant and meditate and then thing sort themselves out.

Maya

gautamk

Quest for the ultimate
Thank you all, i have another question, instead of a starting a new thread, i guess this would have been asked and answered elsewhere in this forum.
I have read about the Buddha who says that there exists no "atma" and no "paramatma", however he tells that there are "higher" beings in higher realms although they offer us no benefit and that shiva, vishnu are also in the karmic cycles. Your views on this please.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
For a starter:

Acintita Sutta

Speculation about [the first moment, purpose, etc., of] the cosmos is an imponderable that is not to be speculated about. Whoever speculates about these things would experience vexation and go mad.
The results of kamma….

The Buddha mentioned the first of the four imponderables:
"Therefore, O monks, do not brood over the world as to whether it is eternal or temporal, limited or endless .. Such brooding, O monks, is senseless, has nothing to do with genuine pure conduct (s. ādibrahmacariyaka-sīla), does not lead to aversion, detachment, extinction, nor to peace, to full comprehension, enlightenment and Nibbāna, etc." (S.56.41).
Acinteyya - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (with a little editing and transposing)

Buddha was a practical person.

Last edited:

Ekanta

om sai ram
Perhaps a strange post, Im devoted to Sai baba and he has visited me for over 20 years in my dreams. We have discussed spiritual topics and he has answered every question of mine... questions about guru, meditation, judgement day etc... sometimes its encouragement like holding hand and walking on water together, a kiss on the forehead, a hugh or sympathy (crying) when I lost a girl friend long ago. This very night, he appeared and cleaned a big mirror with water and soap. Apparently I must clean my mirror, lol.
I mad? 20 years ago I would consider such a person quite insane also, but its too late for that now. Anyway, I post this as a form of encouragement.

From yoga sutra 2.44:
“From (perfection in) self-study (texts & meditation), communion with the deity of his devotion
Vyasa comment: Gods, sages, and perfect beings to whom he is devoted come before the vision of the man intent on study of the self and give him their help, in such ways as teaching.

"‘God’, Ramakrishna said, ‘can be seen and spoken with, just as I am seeing you and speaking with you; but who wants to do so? If anyone is in truth equally anxious to see God and calls on Him with a longing heart, He certainly reveals Himself to him.’"
Celebrate 150th Anniversary of Swami Vivekananda - Life

The other side of a "longing heart" would of course be "giving up other longings"... realizing they are not really worth it and thats the tricky part.
Anyway, I just post this as an encouragement.

Maya3

Perhaps a strange post, Im devoted to Sai baba and he has visited me for over 20 years in my dreams. We have discussed spiritual topics and he has answered every question of mine... questions about guru, meditation, judgement day etc... sometimes its encouragement like holding hand and walking on water together, a kiss on the forehead, a hugh or sympathy (crying) when I lost a girl friend long ago. This very night, he appeared and cleaned a big mirror with water and soap. Apparently I must clean my mirror, lol.
I mad? 20 years ago I would consider such a person quite insane also, but its too late for that now. Anyway, I post this as a form of encouragement.

From yoga sutra 2.44:
“From (perfection in) self-study (texts & meditation), communion with the deity of his devotion
Vyasa comment: Gods, sages, and perfect beings to whom he is devoted come before the vision of the man intent on study of the self and give him their help, in such ways as teaching.

"‘God’, Ramakrishna said, ‘can be seen and spoken with, just as I am seeing you and speaking with you; but who wants to do so? If anyone is in truth equally anxious to see God and calls on Him with a longing heart, He certainly reveals Himself to him.’"
Celebrate 150th Anniversary of Swami Vivekananda - Life

The other side of a "longing heart" would of course be "giving up other longings"... realizing they are not really worth it and thats the tricky part.
Anyway, I just post this as an encouragement.

Not mad, just blessed. You are very lucky.

Maya

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
It's true that God(dess) works in mysterious ways. It never ceases to amaze me. ;)