• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How does one become a Wiccan?

Erebus

How does one become a Wiccan, in particular, a solitary Wiccan?

That really depends who you ask. Some people would say you can't be considered a true Wiccan unless you follow the writings of Gardner, join a coven etc. If you go this route and join a coven, they will most likely have an initiation ceremony for you.

Since you said you prefer solitary Wicca, I would just get your hands on a few beginner's books (I'm not the best for Wiccan book reccomendations I'm afraid) many of which will have a self dedication ritual you can use. Solitary Wicca tends to be individualistic, there are no formal entry requirements and no compulsory initiations, you can perform a dedication if you wish, but you don't have to :)

poseur

Books are best for solitary Wiccans. I hate to recommend this woman, but Silver Ravenwolf writes in a clear way that is easily understood by people new to the faith. But it is important to point out that many people disapprove of her views, and she is quite possibly a bigot who plays the victim card far too often.

Noaidi

slow walker
Books are useful, but ultimately it comes from your own intuition. It's thought that the word 'Wiccan' comes from Old English, meaning someone who works with trees and plants (think of the word 'wicker' for example, meaning woven branches), so a solitary Wiccan will work with the natural world in a way that is appropriate to them.

AuroraWillow

Druid of the Olive
Books are best for solitary Wiccans. I hate to recommend this woman, but Silver Ravenwolf writes in a clear way that is easily understood by people new to the faith. But it is important to point out that many people disapprove of her views, and she is quite possibly a bigot who plays the victim card far too often.

She's also dangerous and encourages teenagers to lie to their parents. I would recommend a person steers clear of her. There are a plethora of beginner books out there that recommending her is unnecessary despite her writing style.

I do, however, agree that books are the best for solitaries. Though I feel it's also important to have contact with at least one other person who is practicing the faith. It's also important to delve into practice right away.

It's also possible to become a solitary wiccan through the help of a mentor, who will guide the seeker through the basics and beyond to a dedication rite outside of a coven setting.

Becoming Wiccan is as simple as telling the God/dess that you believe in them and the Wiccan path. Beyond that is learning.

Nayana

Hmm, i belive to be "Wiccan" you must follow the structured form of Wicca. Deviating from the structure is neo-paganism. Which in effect, Wicca is neo-paganism, just a form that was structured and gained popularity.

Antiochian

Rationalist
Raymond Buckland, I believe, and others put it this way: If a Wiccan must be initiated, who initiated the first Wiccan?

Apparently a few also believe that the only true Witches are hereditary--meaning you have Witches in your family lineage.

I don't feel you have to be in a coven descended from Gardner to call yourself Wiccan--Wicca, like all religions, has changed and evolved from its foundations, which is only natural (for example, Christianity was early on an initiatory religion, and it took a while to get admitted--now it's just a matter of "accepting Christ" in most traditions). And I'd say most Wicca would be a largely unknown religion if it weren't for the many solitary practitioners.

That being said, I agree with what someone wrote earlier, that it's good to find a friend or two who shares the interest and can maybe help you learn some. As far as books, I've found Scott Cunningham's to be useful. Another excellent book is Drawing Down the Moon by Margot Adler, which gives a detailed account of Paganism in general and various traditions of it in America. And for goodness' sake, check out witchvox.com-- you'll find a wealth of info there.

As a Solitary learn all you possibally can study study study and you will find your more Wiccan than you could wish for. Initiation is down to your faith, if you are faithful then you have no more steps to take except the amount you wish to deepen your knowledge.

Vintermunder

Gardnerian, Wycroft line
If your going to start down this path I recommend you spend at least a year or two looking for any wiccan books you can find, reading them and copy out what you agree with and what you don't. The only rule I would use as a guideline is if they reference another religion (ie a bible quote in the beginning of the book) I would put it down as they most likely wont have the information your looking for.

Then once you thing you have a lot of data you've copied out, sit down see if what you have makes sense to you then look for a flavor of craft that is close to your view. Then do as much research as you can on that flavor of craft. Once you feel like your knowledgeable in that form of craft reach out to some of the elders in that breed of craft and find out if it's really for you. If it is then by all means go forward with it however your heart takes you.

Using myself as an example I spent a few years studding the works of buckland, Doreen Valiente, Deanna "D. J." Conway, A.J. Drew, the Farrar's works, the Frost's works, the laws of lady sheba, ect.

I realized after going though this work it seemed to me that I wanted a more ceremonial version of craft and got into Gardnerian craft. I checked out the Toronto pagan pub moot and hooked in with a local group. The rest is...well an interesting history.

ReligionNomore665

What is Religion Anymore?
I'm also looking to become Wiccan. It seems as though, from the advice you all had given this person, that I need to get my hands on some books as well. I've tried research through internet, but for some odd reason, I have trouble staying focused by reading things on the internet, as well as believing what is being said. I tend to believe books a lot more.

sol_mas

Spiritual Investigator
I'm also looking to become Wiccan. It seems as though, from the advice you all had given this person, that I need to get my hands on some books as well. I've tried research through internet, but for some odd reason, I have trouble staying focused by reading things on the internet, as well as believing what is being said. I tend to believe books a lot more.

To OP and church_scares_me,

When I looked into Wicca I found a lot of information at a local Pagan shop. If you can find one close (enough) to you, some are very willing to share and answer questions. I took my first book recommendations from them. I think I ended up liking one of the two books they recommended, but it was still really helpful talking to a Wiccan practitioner in person.

Just as a sanity check, would others recommend visiting Pagan shops for information and recommendations, or was I just lucky?

-sm