• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How Does One Go About This...

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
Staff member
Premium Member
As if you don't know, I'll say it :p I LOVE philosophy. I want to be a philosopher of my personal philosophy which is somewhere between Nihilism and Existentialism.

Last night I had a thought though, why have a boring old philosopher where nobody would care about - I think people would be more interested in a 15 year old philosopher!

I think I pretty much got my thoughts down, I just need a way to get them all over the media.

How does one do this? I'm wasting time!

As if you don't know, I'll say it :p I LOVE philosophy. I want to be a philosopher of my personal philosophy which is somewhere between Nihilism and Existentialism.

Last night I had a thought though, why have a boring old philosopher where nobody would care about - I think people would be more interested in a 15 year old philosopher!

I think I pretty much got my thoughts down, I just need a way to get them all over the media.

How does one do this? I'm wasting time!

Greeings Sum,

Have you read "Siddhartha" by Hermann Hesse?

best,
swampy

The Sum of Awe

Staff member
Premium Member
Well, I guess it's good to avoid it early then if nobody will listen.

Thought people would be more attracted and surprised though.

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
Well, I guess it's good to avoid it early then if nobody will listen.

Thought people would be more attracted and surprised though.
There is an alternative. Lie.

Write under a pseudonym. Give no age. See if you gain a reputation due to your anonymity.

If your following grows large enough, reveal your true self.

The Sum of Awe

Staff member
Premium Member
There is an alternative. Lie.

Write under a pseudonym. Give no age. See if you gain a reputation due to your anonymity.

If your following grows large enough, reveal your true self.

Hmm, good idea, so how does one go about doing this? Write? Who do I send it to? How do I publish it? How do I get the philosophy well-known and be one of society's major topics?

The Sum of Awe

Staff member
Premium Member
You could try Ayn Rand's method and novelise your philosophy. It worked very well for her.

I was thinking a little more well known, kind of as popular as Buddha, Nietzsche, Socrates, Plato, etc.

No it's not just for fame, but part of it is.

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
Hmm, good idea, so how does one go about doing this? Write? Who do I send it to? How do I publish it? How do I get the philosophy well-known and be one of society's major topics?
Write, publish, start a blog, doesn't matter. Publishers will keep you secret if you wish.

The Sum of Awe

Staff member
Premium Member
Write, publish, start a blog, doesn't matter. Publishers will keep you secret if you wish.

I don't think getting it well known comes with that. Is there a way or do I just hope for it being popular?

Trey of Diamonds

I was thinking a little more well known, kind of as popular as Buddha, Nietzsche, Socrates, Plato, etc.

No it's not just for fame, but part of it is.

Ayn Rand is very well known. Objectivism is a major socio-political-economical philosophy that continues to grow. Are you discounting it because it is a young philosophy compared to the list you mentioned? Isn't that doing the very thing you don't want people to do to you? Do you expect to create a philosophy as major as Buddhism overnight? A philosophy has to grow, it has to start somewhere and start small. If you aren't willing to do the work then you wont get very far.

The Sum of Awe

Staff member
Premium Member
Ayn Rand is very well known. Objectivism is a major socio-political-economical philosophy that continues to grow. Are you discounting it because it is a young philosophy compared to the list you mentioned? Isn't that doing the very thing you don't want people to do to you? Do you expect to create a philosophy as major as Buddhism overnight? A philosophy has to grow, it has to start somewhere and start small. If you aren't willing to do the work then you wont get very far.

Not overnight.

I didn't think Ayn Rand was too popular, not many people mention Objectivism a lot. Anton LaVey is pretty new though and it pretty well-known (probably just from the name being 'Satanism' though)

Trey of Diamonds

Not overnight.

I didn't think Ayn Rand was too popular, not many people mention Objectivism a lot. Anton LaVey is pretty new though and it pretty well-known (probably just from the name being 'Satanism' though)

She is popular with those who believe in her philosophy and her popularity grows daily. I doubt you can hope to create a philosophy that will grow any faster than that of Objectivism and still have the staying power to live past your own life time.

You asked how you might found a new philosophy, I still say novelization might be the key for someone of your age. Take your philosophy and write stories that illustrate that philosophy and then get them published. As people grow to love your stories, you can explain what they mean as a philosophy. This would be even easier to do today with the number of ways you can get your stories out to the public. Start a blog and use short stories to illustrate your philosophy. Then graduate to full length novels.

Its very doable if you really want it. But if you expect it to just happen, you'll be waiting a long time.

T-Dawg

Self-appointed Lunatic
I like this idea. How does one go about writing a novel? I'm a decent world-builder, but I suck horribly at making characters and telling stories. I tried to start a novel a couple weeks or so ago, but I couldn't figure out how to give depth to the characters or put them in a realistic situation where they would interact with each other.