• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How It Is That Bad Cops Are The Majority Of Cops

Pete in Panama

Cops who allow other cops to commit crimes
should also go to prison as accessories.
Most cops don't break the law. When a few actually do break the law the majority of good cops are the ones who arrest the bad cops. We don't want to attack those good cops that are arresting the bad cops because that puts us on the side of the bad cops.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Most cops don't break the law.
This is apparently not so.
The regularly flout traffic laws.
We see this driving, not signaling
lane changes / turns.

When a few actually do break the law the majority of good cops are the ones who arrest the bad cops.
This very rarely happens. This can be observed
by watching youtube videos of bad cops.
I'll wager that you can't find one being stopped
from committing a crime & arrested.
If an arrest is ever made, it happens much later.
And this is quite uncommon.
We don't want to attack those good cops that are arresting the bad cops because that puts us on the side of the bad cops.
Good cops who do stop bad cops from committing
crimes are often punished by their fellows. The
"Serpico Syndrome".

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Naturally there are many views on this. My suspicion is that most healthy people like the universe and they like humanity. Most folks understand that human life is sacred and they make laws to prevent murder. I say it's good what most people do.

You seem to say that the world is better than people. I don't say that. What I see is that people are social animals and if you separate an individual at birth then he never learns to talk or interact --he's an extremely stunted human. People make governments and cops and we live in harmony. If you say that's not good then I'll say that it'll do fine until real good comes along.

Then I guess we'll have to settle for "good enough" and still continue to strive for improvement.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Naturally there are many views on this. My suspicion is that most healthy people like the universe and they like humanity. Most folks understand that human life is sacred and they make laws to prevent murder. I say it's good what most people do.

You seem to say that the world is better than people. I don't say that. What I see is that people are social animals and if you separate an individual at birth then he never learns to talk or interact --he's an extremely stunted human. People make governments and cops and we live in harmony. If you say that's not good then I'll say that it'll do fine until real good comes along.
"Real good" won't just arrive....it requires intention
to achieve it. Cops are self-selected. It's attractive
to bullies to be given such power over others, &
to enforce their terrible prejudices & predilections.
So selection must improve. Then there's training,
which is currently minimal, far less than for other
trades, eg, HVAC service, hair care. Finally, there
must be accountability, eg, accountability for crimes,
requirements to obey laws, independent supervision.

On top of those measures to improve the quality
of cops & policing, we need affirmative protections
for civil rights, eg, recording cops, self defense
against wrongful assault by cops.
Currently, these aren't not legally codified in all
jurisdictions.

wellwisher

This video shows the type of bad cop I often refer to,
ie, they allow other cops to commit illegal acts, but
do nothing to stop it. They even participate in
cover ups.
In this case a cooperative person in handcuffs is
assaulted by a cop, who threw him to the ground,
causing head & hand injuries. Not one of the many
other cops on the scene attempted to stop the
assault. Not one cop reported the assault. It only
came to light when the victim was hospitalized,
which triggered an investigation. The assailant
was put on paid vacation.
Such is very typical. It's extremely rare to see a
cop intervene when another cop goes rogue on
a civilian.
The problem is a career criminal does not get punished for every crime they commit. Very few victims are made right by the justice system. The victim may be victimize again by the defense lawyers. You would not be a career criminal, if you got caught after every crime. You may need one hundred crimes, between convictions to stay in business. There are 99 victims left hanging. This is what the police see when the revolving door of injustice is spinning.

My belief is most cops care more about the victims, than the criminals. If a police officer picks up criminal, with a long history in business, and body slams that criminal, now there are only 98 victims that need some resolution.

The problem is the injustice system is designed by lawyers, for lawyers and not for the victims. How would you set up such a system of justice designed to maximize the number of lawyers jobs and their total revenue? A revolving door justice system will work. If we do that, one criminal is like a repeat customer with a good lawyers setting up his future jobs. Another way is you need to make it harder for cops, to meter out justice, in the field, since that impacts lawyers jobs. In the crook get body slammed but not arrested, justice is served but no lawyer money. Unless, you make cops appear like the criminals, who then will need lawyers.

Is everyone aware that defense lawyers contribute the lions share of campaign donation to Democrats. These politicians are the ones who coddles criminals and thereby makes more jobs for lawyers. So far in 2024, 95% of lawyer donation are going to Biden-Harris. Trump is more law and order and pro-Police. He is also for less regulation all of which lowers the number of lawyer jobs. The kangaroo courts that Trump is facing created by the DNC, involves lots of high priced lawyer jobs. An injustice system means more lawyer jobs.

The criminal underground has it own grapevine for information and gossip. If a crime is committed; stolen car, everyone knows the who and what, since crime is big business and is also territorial. Cops can get the intel needed there, and seek justice for victims, without lawyers. But once lawyer jobs start to fall, they prime the pump with campaign contributions to Democrats, who then embolden the criminals and discourage pro-active measures that may reduce crime.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
The problem is a career criminal does not get punished for every crime they commit.
This problem is largely separate from the bad cops issue.
Intersection happens when corrupt cops cause criminals to
escape prosecution because their testimony has been shown
corrupt, eg, being on the Brady List.

Cops are caught lying, ongoing cases are often dropped,
& convictions overturned, with convicted felons released,
& even paid compensation. This is late justice for the
wrongly convicted, but it also releases the guilty ones.
Very few victims are made right by the justice system. The victim may be victimize again by the defense lawyers. You would not be a career criminal, if you got caught after every crime. You may need one hundred crimes, between convictions to stay in business. There are 99 victims left hanging. This is what the police see when the revolving door of injustice is spinning.
This should be addressed by ensuring that cops
practice a higher level of competence & ethics.
My belief is most cops care more about the victims, than the criminals. If a police officer picks up criminal, with a long history in business, and body slams that criminal....
Illegal use of force means that the cop is a criminal
who should be tried, convicted, & punished. Note
that cops often abuse innocent people out of anger,
hatred, bigotry, & error.
The problem is the injustice system is designed by lawyers, for lawyers and not for the victims. How would you set up such a system of justice designed to maximize the number of lawyers jobs and their total revenue? A revolving door justice system will work. If we do that, one criminal is like a repeat customer with a good lawyers setting up his future jobs. Another way is you need to make it harder for cops, to meter out justice, in the field, since that impacts lawyers jobs. In the crook get body slammed but not arrested, justice is served but no lawyer money. Unless, you make cops appear like the criminals, who then will need lawyers.

Is everyone aware that defense lawyers contribute the lions share of campaign donation to Democrats. These politicians are the ones who coddles criminals and thereby makes more jobs for lawyers. So far in 2024, 95% of lawyer donation are going to Biden-Harris. Trump is more law and order and pro-Police. He is also for less regulation all of which lowers the number of lawyer jobs. The kangaroo courts that Trump is facing created by the DNC, involves lots of high priced lawyer jobs. An injustice system means more lawyer jobs.

The criminal underground has it own grapevine for information and gossip. If a crime is committed; stolen car, everyone knows the who and what, since crime is big business and is also territorial. Cops can get the intel needed there, and seek justice for victims, without lawyers. But once lawyer jobs start to fall, they prime the pump with campaign contributions to Democrats, who then embolden the criminals and discourage pro-active measures that may reduce crime.
This is an issue separate & distracting
from problems of policiing.

Pete in Panama

Good enough, but still with room for improvement. It only starts to get bad when people become complacent and believe that "it can't get any better."
My view is in general and for the long run. What I'm seeing over time is that humankind carries forward an ever-advancing civilization. You and I are so much better off than our grandparents, and our grandkids will be so much better off than us.