• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How long did it take for intelligence to exist in the universe?

idav

Being
Premium Member
Is intelligence pre-universe, emergent or was the universe just born intelligent? What does the evidence suggest?

Last edited:

idav

Being
Premium Member
Maybe a definition would help. When would these characteristics apply to anything. Before, the beginning or sometime after existence came to be.

in·tel·li·gent

   /ɪnˈtɛlɪdʒənt/ Show Spelled[in-tel-i-juhnt] Show IPA
adjective 1. having good understanding or a high mental capacity; quick to comprehend, as persons or animals: an intelligent student.

2. displaying or characterized by quickness of understanding, sound thought, or good judgment: an intelligent reply.

3. having the faculty of reasoning and understanding; possessing intelligence: intelligent beings in outer space.

4. Computers . pertaining to the ability to do data processing locally; smart: An intelligent terminal can edit input before transmission to a host computer. Compare dumb ( def. 8 ) .

5. Archaic . having understanding or knowledge (usually followed by of ).

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
No, not really. Definitions are never bad, but they're no substitute for hard information.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
I think that intelligence is 'pre-universe' and that essentially all things are 'made of' intelligence.

Well, the universe began as a hot dense plasma. A plasma is not intelligent by any stretch of the definition, so no, the universe did not start out intelligent. I would say based on our understanding of the evolution of the universe, that intelligent things did not emerge until space expanded, matter collapsed into stars, and stars turned hydrogen into enough heavier elements (carbon, etc.) to make complex chemistry and ultimately living organisms possible. That would be at least 1 billion years after the first moments of the big bang, and at most 14 billion years (the known time of emergence of intelligence on Earth).

idav

Being
Premium Member
there is nothing about nature that is intelligent.
Doesn't intelligence exist?
By the way, what is the evidence that the universe is intelligent?
That would be if it was born intelligent. Would intelligence just start growing out of something that is unaware?
What does the universe have to do with intelligence?
Good question. The universe started it all so when does intelligence come into play, is it inherent?

idav

Being
Premium Member
Yes. It's just computation after all, and matter can compute just fine.
So it just has potential for intelligence or is already intelligence? I would say it is already data with the possibility of computing the data.

So it just has potential for intelligence or is already intelligence?
This question becomes very easy to answer once you get specific. Is a cloud of dust and gas intelligent? Clearly not. Otherwise, the term "intelligence" is rendered meaningless. On the other hand, are brains, computers--even maybe cells--intelligent? Clearly yes. Since we know the universe was entirely gas and dust for a time, and brains and computers emerged later, it follows that the universe itself did not start out intelligent. Rather, the universe had the potential for intelligent things to emerge within it.

The more difficult questions are: how did / can intelligent things emerge from unintelligent matter? And, what exactly are the characteristics which distinguish what we intuitively recognize as "intelligence"?

I would say it is already data with the possibility of computing the data.
I think that's a fine way of putting it.

shawn001

As far as we know you have to have a nervous system. That evolved around 5 hundred million years ago. Some prehistoric animals probably had some simple intelligence.

New research on dinosaurs also have shown some of them to be social.

We don't know if intelligent life forms on other planets evolved before we did.