• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How long were Adam and Eve in the Garden?

djackson

Hear! Hear! Put succinctly and I absolutely agree. Even taken literally, the whole question ,by the time you compare Isaiah with Revelation, of the length of the seventh day of God's rest is supposed to be unknown anyway, the part in doubt being the time Adam and Eve were in the garden (just look to Jehovah's Witnesses for a complete mess of dates on this one). Otherwise, the bible would be giving away the exact year of Armageddon (something else I believe is symbolic and not literal personally).

I like to take the bible like the Pirates Code, 'not necessarily rules, more or less guidelines.'

gnostic

The Lost One
Genesis 2, the Fall seemed to happen shortly after Eve was created.

Genesis 1, say that God created both humans, man and woman, on the very same day, ie 6th day. It doesn't say that the 1st woman was created years afterward. No names were given to the man and woman in this chapter. Chapter 2, however, seem to contradict chapter 1, because it would seem that Eve was created after the 7th day.

This, however, could be explained that chapter 1 and chapter 2 were written by 2 different people or group of people in 2 different periods. The styles of writings are completely different in these 2 chapters; thus the Genesis have different sources. These sources are listed as
  • Yahawist, or J source,
  • Elohist, or E source,
  • Priestly or P source,
  • and Deuteronomy, as D source.
Chapter 2, 3 and 4 seemed to be the J source, because the story is told in a storytelling style, ie in a narrative style. Chapter 1 and 5, however, seemed to be P source, because of its used of chronological order, the 6 day creation of chapter 1 and the used of genealogy in chapter 5.

If you put the 2 chapters together, even with the contradiction of when the 1st woman was created, then the Fall has to happen after Eve, and after the Day of Rest, ie 7th day.

So in that perspective, they have probably lived on Eden for 2 or more days, before their expulsion.

Genesis doesn't mention years or centuries have passed, let alone 1 year. People who are saying that years or centuries, or even millenniums may have passed, are merely speculating, since it doesn't say anything about years or centuries, until the 1st genealogy part of Genesis in chapter 5. Such interpretations and speculations are baseless.

I may not believe in the story of biblical creation, and Adam and Eve, but I do believe in keeping any literature, which include scriptures, in their proper context.