• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How Long Would You Want to Live For?

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
Let's say somebody had the ability to grant you life for whatever length of time you wished - the one stipulation being that you had to live for that length of time, and couldn't end your life before that time by any means. You can choose any length of time - up to infinite. What length of life would you choose?

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
A moment.

Edit: Zen Buddhism presents its readers with an image of "birth and death," which describes the eternal moment "now" in which everything exists.

Last edited:

Erebus

Depends what kind of life.

My thoughts exactly. If I was offered a wonderful life in which I wouldn't age and wouldn't suffer much I'd probably say either eternal life or a few million years.

If it was a prolonged life in the same vein as the immortals in Gulliver's travels (constantly aging and gradually suffering more and more) then I reckon I wouldn't mind living to maybe about 70 years old. I think that's probably a good age to live till, I wouldn't want to live too much longer than that I don't think.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
My current life will extend past my 100th birthday. That is good enough for me. (I'll try to report back in 46 years to let folks know how I am doing.)

Buttercup

Veteran Member
Long enough to be a great, great grandma at least.

When I think of dying, the heart crushing aspect is knowing I'll be leaving those I love, especially my kids. It's almost unbearable to think about longer than a minute. I want to be around as long as possible.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I go with the others in that quality of life is important as to whether I would like to "stay" around longer.

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
What's your answer, ATS?

I have no clue. My immediate answer is "forever". But that's only if I retain my health and youthful vigor. :D But then I imagine its pretty hard to see all the people you love dying all around you. So more limits, but who's to say that living would be a burden after 200 years or 2000 years or 2 million years? Really impossible.

Shia Islam

Quran and Ahlul-Bayt a.s.
Premium Member
The main point for me is fulfil my dreams...

It's like establishing an organization...
You fulfil you dreams when you see it up and running ...
However, once it's running , you want to run it for ever...

20 more years is a must for me, but after that will I say it's enough?!

S-word

Let's say somebody had the ability to grant you life for whatever length of time you wished - the one stipulation being that you had to live for that length of time, and couldn't end your life before that time by any means. You can choose any length of time - up to infinite. What length of life would you choose?

I don't care how long I live for, as long as there is always a tomorrow.

kai

ragamuffin
i would like to live as long as my body and mind allow me independence, after that i am prepared to be worm food.

.lava

Veteran Member
i would like to live as long as my body and mind allow me independence, after that i am prepared to be worm food.

same here, as long as i am able to do my own work without help of anyone. if it is 10 years, fine; if it is 100 years more that would be fine too

Alex_G

Enlightner of the Senses

hmm toughy. Must you answer in units of time? Maybe to the point when im ready to die would be the ideal answer.. :p
But also im a life junkie, and would love to see the future, know more and do more than i could ever do otherwise. So if i was to extend my life at all, i would outlive loved ones, so i would prob razz it up quite high, 500-1000 years seems pretty good :)

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member

I would'nt like to know how long i am going to live,i think that the uncertainty in life inspires us to do things sooner rather than later,if you knew that no matter what you did you could not die until the appointed time it would make many things less exciting like adrenaline Sport for example.