• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How Many Kinds On Earth?

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
But "winged fowl" are birds and bats are definitely not birds."
In a Biblical sense they are. Linnaeus wasn't around back then to complicate matters.

Would you call whales and dolphins "kinds in the water"?
It seems that if they were in the water when they were created then they are of "kinds of the water" as you put it. The Bible doesn't list where all of the created life goes. It's probably because it's just not that important in the grand Biblical scheme of things.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
In a Biblical sense they are. Linnaeus wasn't around back then to complicate matters.

It seems that if they were in the water when they were created then they are of "kinds of the water" as you put it. The Bible doesn't list where all of the created life goes. It's probably because it's just not that important in the grand Biblical scheme of things.
I think the point has been made that “simple” is not always “clear”. And although the definition that Sandy has provided may be “Biblically correct”, it is not clear, it is not orderly and it bears no resemblance to reality. And I think Sandy knows this well. It may be true in some alternate parallel reality, but in this reality penguins are birds and bats are not.

johnhanks

It seems that if they were in the water when they were created then they are of "kinds of the water" as you put it.
You and I spent the first nine months or so of our existence floating in our own private watery pond in our mothers' amniotic sac. Does that make us of the fishy kind?

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
fantôme profane;2580105 said:
I think the point has been made that “simple” is not always “clear”. And although the definition that Sandy has provided may be “Biblically correct”, it is not clear, it is not orderly and it bears no resemblance to reality. And I think Sandy knows this well. It may be true in some alternate parallel reality, but in this reality penguins are birds and bats are not.
Of course it's clear just not Linnaeic.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
Of course it's clear just not Linnaeic.
In the times Genesis was written if it flew and was not an insect it was a "winged fowl."
No, you don’t understand. It doesn’t matter what kind of “system” you use. A seagull is much more closely related to a penguin than it is to a bat. The seagull and the penguin share a relatively recent common ancestor, where as a seagull and a bat share a much more distant common ancestor.

To say that flying things and land creatures cannot share a common ancestor because they are “different kinds” is simply, clearly, and demonstrably not true. It is not true now, and it was not true “in the times Genesis was written”.

Otherright

Otherright
2.2 million ocean dwellers. It stands to reason, at least to me, that there are probably far more than that. But being that we are obviously limited in our ability to explore it thoroughly, and it covers 2/3 of the planet, we get a much smaller number of actual known vs what's probably there.

Speaking of such. Forget the animals, how did the fish breathe? Did the freshwater die off or the saltwater. One of them would've.

And no one has ever answered this flood question for me; what about the beans?

Otherright

Otherright
And still nobody answers the question; what about the beans?

Its a more important question than you realize, once you understand it.

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
Staff member
Premium Member
Funny thing is, in that picture, that is not even half of all of the species :D

Anyways, my Baptist minister always taught me, when I was a Baptist, that the species had mated with other species creating new species during and after the Noah's ark period, but before hand there was just enough to fit on there.