• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How Much Are We Controlled By Our Genes?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Broadly speaking, how much of human behavior can be attributed to our genes? How much can be attributed to our culture or society? How much to other factors?

Specifically, to what extent, if any, does religious behavior have a genetic basis?

Again, specifically, to what extent, if any, does sexual behavior have a genetic basis? Are the social roles of men and women more decided by their genes or more decided by society?

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
I think we are controlled by our genes as much as we want to be. If they are the perceived cause of our actions, then our actions are the perceived effect of them as a cause.

In my opinion, the "nature vs. nurture" debate is rather narrow-sighted. Our actions are the result of everything we experience, not just a couple of influences.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Genes: None.

So far as I know, that was the conventional wisdom during the 1970s and earlier. But I'm not sure that's still a tenable position. There seems to be a lot of research since those days that point to genes having marked and various influences on our behavior.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
In my opinion, the "nature vs. nurture" debate is rather narrow-sighted. Our actions are the result of everything we experience, not just a couple of influences.

It's kind of an eternal debate. I can recall endlessly debating it with my mom when I was 15 or so.

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
It's kind of an eternal debate. I can recall endlessly debating it with my mom when I was 15 or so.

Yeah, it crops up everywhere. :D I remember first hearing it in high school, then seeing it pop up in various college classes from Psychology to Philosophy to Biology to Literature.

It's cool you debated it with your mom at 15, though. I'm sure it kept you off the streets. ;)

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
So do the planets of astrology... and, I suspect, in much the same way.

Interesting!

My understanding of the planetary influence of astrology is that it is primarily psychological based on general personality traits. Yours may be different, but this statement suggests to me that genetics may influence us through a psychological pattern of general behavioral profiles.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Yeah, it crops up everywhere. :D I remember first hearing it in high school, then seeing it pop up in various college classes from Psychology to Philosophy to Biology to Literature.

The question has a number of important implications, of course. A set of implications that have been interesting me recently are what it implies for constructing a functional and humane society.

It's cool you debated it with your mom at 15, though. I'm sure it kept you off the streets. ;)

It was one of mom's ways of teaching me how to reason. :)

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I figure genes have more to do with our behavior than has traditionally been thought. But I don't think genes are absolutely determinative of our behavior.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Interesting!

My understanding of the planetary influence of astrology is that it is primarily psychological based on general personality traits. Yours may be different, but this statement suggests to me that genetics may influence us through a psychological pattern of general behavioral profiles.
Depends, of course, on what you mean by "psychological based," but I was referring to the symbolic rather than the chemical. Genes are, after all, a system of information.

RationalSoulution

The Evolution of Soul
Broadly speaking, how much of human behavior can be attributed to our genes? How much can be attributed to our culture or society? How much to other factors?

Specifically, to what extent, if any, does religious behavior have a genetic basis?

Again, specifically, to what extent, if any, does sexual behavior have a genetic basis? Are the social roles of men and women more decided by their genes or more decided by society?

I feel human behavior comes more from how you were raised than your genes. I think your genes guide you, by giving you intelligence, and give you a baseline...but its how you were raised and the environment you grew up in that effects you more.

If you're talking about sexual reproduction, people meeting and creating children, i think its 65% genetic. This being, intelligence and looks. 35% of this is your personality you have developed over time, your emotional intelligence. This is something that is learned more than it is a born attribute. Emotional intelligence is your knowledge on everything but intelligence; your control on life and the way you deal with things. It controls whether you decide to go see a movie, or study for a test, for example. Women tend to have more than men.

With the above 2 points combined, i believe you have your answer as to your outcome as a contributing citizen, the way you socialize, and as breeding human.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
If you're talking about sexual reproduction, people meeting and creating children, i think its 65% genetic. This being, intelligence and looks. 35% of this is your personality you have developed over time, your emotional intelligence. This is something that is learned more than it is a born attribute.
I'm just curious: where do you think these estimates came from?

RationalSoulution

The Evolution of Soul
I based them on the general draw of humans to others that look like them, as well as the draw to physical attraction. From what I've read/seen in video, there is more evidence pointing toward these things than actual character. However character does play a roll, as people are drawn toward others who are like them. I think what you're born as ends up having more of a role than anything, and the other 35% percentile can push you in either direction. It's such a hard topic, because your EQ (emotional intelligence) could really sway someone of perfect "breeding" material to be completely undesirable... But my reasoning came from the fact that if you are always known to be attractive (By your raising or by looks, IQ or EQ), you will have more self confidence, and thus, more chance to find a mate and reproduce. The more i think about it, the more depth the debate has and it's far too late at night to think any more :thud:

rojse

RF Addict

I think that some can be - ADHD, for example, is more than a mere behavioral problem. Don't get me wrong, I have several friends with ADD, which means a large majority of my friends have it.

But quite a lot of it is through environment and personal choice.

That's worth a separate thread in itself.

Personally (I will readily admit I have no evidence for this stance, just opinion) I think that religious behaviour, such as seeing God and visions and so forth, is a neurological function of the brain. It explains why some people never have visions, and others have quite a lot of them. It also explains why religion, in all of it's forms, is so prevalent throughout the world, regardless of their social contact with other cultures.

Whether this experience is due to genetics, a brain deficiency on my behalf, or on the behalf of a religious person, or even as part of a response to local environment, I would not venture to guess.

Another question worth a separate thread.

I wouldn't pretend to know much about this though, but I would say that it is defined by society. Different societies define different roles for their men and women, and this would certainly have an effect on sexual behaviour.

whereismynotecard

Treasure Hunter
I think most things are determined by culture and society... Mostly what is viewed as right or wrong. Like alot of people would feel that marrying their siblings would be wrong, but only because their culture says so.

I don't think genes has anything to do with religion... My parents and their relatives are all very religious, and pray all the time, and say prayers before they eat, and I find it extremely annoying. I am very unlike them, even though we are genetically related.

Somkid

Genes have a lot to do with it, everything from your appearance to your medical and psychological dispositions, it is hard to put a percentage on that. As far as culture goes I think that directly corresponds to peer pressure and how you are raised and what you are raised to believe. Culture has had little impact on me as I adopted a foreign culture and habits of my own accord as a young man with out ever being exposed to it. There are some strange things in the culture I live in now that I have not adopted foreign to me but no one cares they just smile. I'm not sure about other factors, some times I think I have been influenced by sci-fi and see possibility in it but I do my best to keep it separated from reality.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
Genetics definitely does play a role, but I do not think it is a very big role overall.