• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How Much Are We Controlled By Our Genes?

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
Broadly speaking, how much of human behavior can be attributed to our genes? How much can be attributed to our culture or society? How much to other factors?

Specifically, to what extent, if any, does religious behavior have a genetic basis?

Again, specifically, to what extent, if any, does sexual behavior have a genetic basis? Are the social roles of men and women more decided by their genes or more decided by society?

My text book says "It is meaningless to question whether a personality trait or an aptitude is 'caused by genetics' or 'caused by environments' because both....are essential to life and development...it is impossible for genetics to have an effect without an environment."
I remember reading 70% environment, 30% genes somewhere else but I cannot remember where.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
Agreed... Genes probably only really affect physical things.
There are some mental conditions that are genetic. But, other than effecting mental development, I do not think genetics goes any further. I strongly believe any behavioral similarities between parents and their children, or between any other relatives, comes about from observation rather than genes.

RationalSoulution

The Evolution of Soul
My text book says "It is meaningless to question whether a personality trait or an aptitude is 'caused by genetics' or 'caused by environments' because both....are essential to life and development...it is impossible for genetics to have an effect without an environment."
I remember reading 70% environment, 30% genes somewhere else but I cannot remember where.

interesting, almost opposite numbers than i wrote... i guess i put more trust into the grand scheme of things (basic human nature) than the evolution of people in society.

whereismynotecard

Treasure Hunter
There are some mental conditions that are genetic. But, other than effecting mental development, I do not think genetics goes any further. I strongly believe any behavioral similarities between parents and their children, or between any other relatives, comes about from observation rather than genes.

True, that.

Dr. Nosophoros

Genes are what make us, apologists break us, in short it is what it is and it is up to us individually to make those personal assessments through personal experience in that short lifespan we have.

PureX

Veteran Member
Broadly speaking, how much of human behavior can be attributed to our genes? How much can be attributed to our culture or society? How much to other factors?

Specifically, to what extent, if any, does religious behavior have a genetic basis?

Again, specifically, to what extent, if any, does sexual behavior have a genetic basis? Are the social roles of men and women more decided by their genes or more decided by society?
I don't believe that "religious behavior" is necessarily genetic, but I suspect that a proclivity to superstition, fear, anxiety, fantasy, wishful thinking and willful ignorance are all somewhat genetic, which in turn has an effect on our "religious behavior".

As to culturalization, I think culture either reinforces and approves our genetic inclinations, or discourages and taboos them. Likewise, so we do through our own individual philosophies and choices. These are all tied together in an intricate complex of forces that make up who we are and how we live. I really don't think we're ever going to be able to accurately pick them apart, and anyway, the mixture and ratios are different for every individual. There's just too much dynamic complexity involved for us to ever be able to 'nail it down'.

Ozzie

Genes are acted on by the environment. All human behaviour is a result of development in context. How could it be otherwise?