• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How much do we know about King James (the Bible one) and why is he the one...

Ody

He gave money for the translation, and it was named in his honor because of his sponsorship :)

Furthermore the KJV is just as popular now as it was when it was written 400 years ago, because people appreciate its fearless straight-talking approach, whereas some of the newer versions are wimpy and politically-correct..

Fluffy

A fool
Furthermore the KJV is just as popular now as it was when it was written 400 years ago, because people appreciate its fearless straight-talking approach, whereas some of the newer versions are wimpy and politically-correct..

For a version that is often accused of being overly poetical, I find the term "straight-talking" to be an odd choice of adjective.

Halcyon

Lord of the Badgers
Fluffy said:
For a version that is often accused of being overly poetical, I find the term "straight-talking" to be an odd choice of adjective.
Lol, that's what i was going to say. I'd never think to call 17th century formal English "straight talking".

Also Mick, you don't like newer version because you see them as too PC, do you not think the translators of the KJV had their own political agendas and motives?

kai

ragamuffin
do you mean each translation is translated according to the PC at the time.isnt there a real translation word for word with no slant

Halcyon

Lord of the Badgers
kai said:
do you mean each translation is translated according to the PC at the time.isnt there a real translation word for word with no slant
I don't know, but i doubt it, humans aren't too good at being unbiased.

kai said:
Yes, if you buy an interlinear. This is a Bible which has the original words in Greek or Hebrew and then above them the literal translation of the words into English. Then on the side it puts the literal words together into streaming sentences. On the other side it usually puts something like the KJV for comparison.

FGS

Mujahid Mohammed

kai said:
No, they do not even have the version that was authorised by King James. It has also went through some revisions. There are over 250,000 manuscripts that the bible was supposedly taken from. No two are alike, and many have been proven by scholars today as being altered by some unlettered scribe. And did not come from scriptural hebrew read the disclaimer and the brief history of the KJV The AV Bible, King James Version, AV 1611

Deut 13:1

sandy whitelinger said:
For starters it's the only English version I've seen that gets the first verse right.
And what's the first verse in your translation? Because if you're looking at the Hebrew for an exact literal translation, I've never seen any bible do it.

Djamila

Bosnjakinja
I do not have much faith in the King James version of the Bible, and I realize that is practically meaningless coming from a Muslim I say this as someone who respects Christianity and wants the best for its followers.

I would be very nervous about placing my faith in this, and several other, translations of the Bible. There is simply so much that is hidden. For example, many words in the Hebrew and Greek texts have several meanings. Translators have chosen one of them, without allowing for the possibility of the word's other meanings.

Translations have also added connecting words found in English but not recorded in the earliest editions of the Bible. They usually appear in brackets, for example: Imagine the original Hebrew text says:

Don't fire neighbour's house.

You can find English translations of the bible that say:

Don't (start a) fire (in your) neighbour's house.

Or:

Don't (put out) fire (unless in your) neighbour's house.

There are also passages that are simply added. "It is an abomination" appears several times in English versions of the Bible where it does not in Hebrew and Greek texts.

For these reasons, I would implore Christians, with all my heart, to purchase Bibles that are translated from the original Hebrew and Greek texts literally. You should make yourself very aware of the differences in language and these sorts of factors and acquire as much knowledge as you can about your holy scriptures.

As an example, I have a Bosnian Koran in the Bosnian language, the official translation of the Koran that was first produced in the 1600s. I also have a modern, literal translation from Arabic into Bosnian. Both of these Korans are fundamentally the same, but differ considerably in minor ways that can become fundamental if you're trying to definitively determine the message of a particular line.

I also have a literal translation of the Koran from Arabic into English. It's cumbersome to read because it offers all the different possible meanings of each Arabic word in brackets.

As an example:

What would be written as "The Dog is red" in a normal, English Koran would be written as:

The (It) Dog (Beast, Friend Eggs, Umbrella) is (has, or, from) Red (Mauve, blood, sunset).

It's good just to double-check certain things when you have questions.

I believe every Christian should so arm themselves as well. The closer you can get to the source of your faith, the better.

anders

Deut 13:1 said:
And what's the first verse in your translation? Because if you're looking at the Hebrew for an exact literal translation, I've never seen any bible do it.
In the first place, "literal translation" is a weird concept, especially when it is between widely differing languages. For an example, take the Chinese sentence (in pinyin, without tone marks) "hong long xie shu". Literally "Red dragon write book". But it could mean that any number of red dragons are writing or have written or will be writing any number of books. So what is your translation? The translator working into English must make several choices that are not supported by the words. Especially the verb tense problem occurs in almost every sentence when translating from Hebrew. Does God say "I have given" or "I am giving" or "I will give" or "I might give in the future"?

In KJV, Gen.1.1 is "In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth." One of the many perfectly valid translations would be "Once upon a time Elohim began creating the heavens and the earth." Another way, with a very solid grammatical argumentation, goes like "There once was a time, when Elohim created heaven and earth. At that time, he said ... " My literal version (just try to prove me wrong!) is "In one of the beginnings, the gods created the heavens and the earth."

Reactions: d.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
Here we go, putting the Bible up on a pedestal again. The King James is a lovely translation, but it's no longer the most accurate.

Why do we feel that we have to have the exact words God spoke? Why can't we just accept that the Bible has come to us through the Tradition, and that the human part of the equation is just as important in the religion as the divine part?

A

angellous_evangellous

sojourner said:
Here we go, putting the Bible up on a pedestal again. The King James is a lovely translation, but it's no longer the most accurate.

Why do we feel that we have to have the exact words God spoke? Why can't we just accept that the Bible has come to us through the Tradition, and that the human part of the equation is just as important in the religion as the divine part?

Read the preface to the NASB sometime.