• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How Much Do You Doubt God's Existence?

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Is there any room in your belief to doubt God exists?
Or do you believe in God with 100% certainty?

If you're agnostic does that mean you believe there is a 50% chance God exists and a 50% chance he doesn't?

If you don't believe in God or gods are you 100% certain there is no God(s)? 90%, 70%?

If you believe in more than one God are there some gods you don't believe in? How certain that these gods you don't believe in don't exist?

What do you base this percentage of non-belief on?

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

If you're agnostic does that mean you believe there is a 50% chance God exists and a 50% chance he doesn't?

If you don't believe in God or gods are you 100% certain there is no God(s)? 90%, 70%?

If you believe in more than one God are there some gods you don't believe in? How certain that these gods you don't believe in don't exist?

Im atheist and out the other side... ;-). I am 100% certain no gods exist.

I base it on all the things in this universe, on this world, in this life that have no need for a god or gods. There are many evidences that i believe show no god exists.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member

I'd say it's a practical certainty that no gods exist.

The only scenarios where I could imagine a god existing are "brain in a vat"-type scenarios where all evidence and sensory input I experience are false things being fed to me. How do I calculate the odds that I'm a brain in a vat? I have no idea.

Personally, I usually find it more useful to put my level of certainty on a relative scale: I'm more certain that gods don't exist than I am that leprechauns don't exist, for instance.

Some versions of God are logically self-contradictory. For those ones, I have complete certainty that they don't exist.

The ones that are only externally inconsistent are the ones where there's only practical uncertainty, since I can never be perfectly sure that reality is as it appears (again: brains in vats).

Everything I've ever seen or experienced is perfectly consistent with no gods existing.

Rational Agnostic

Interesting questions, thanks for starting this thread. I find it difficult to assign a probability to things like this. What would it feel like to be 90% sure God exists or doesn't exist, for example? I really don't know how you can define or quantify that.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

I go by Dawkins assessment.

I believe in God as much as I believe there are gnomes living in my garden.

chinu

chinu

100% believe = Sure. or say -- believe is replaced with sure when believe is 100%

Niatero

*banned*

I have trouble understanding the question of whether God exists or not. In my childhood and middle school I never doubted that a creator god exists. Then for a few years I thought without any doubt or question that there was no such thing. Then I went back to never doubting that there was. Then maybe five or ten years ago I started thinking that He was telling me Himself that I'll never know if He exists or not. Then after maybe a few years I realized that I don't even understand the question. Then after a few years of trying to understand the question I gave up and now I don't really care anymore.

Last edited:

Tomef

People appear to have made up gods some thousands of years ago. Before that, they had billions of years of never having been thought of by anyone (anyone human, aliens notwithstanding). So they exist as fictions, but I don’t think any of them have made it into actual existence, like the way my neighbour’s cat exists, and my running shoes exist. 99.99999% sure.

chinu

chinu
I have trouble understanding the question. In my childhood and middle school I never doubted that a creator god exists. Then for a few years I thought without any doubt or question that there was no such thing. Then I went back to never doubting that there was. Then maybe five or ten years ago I started thinking that He was telling me Himself that I'll never know if He exists or not. Then after maybe a few years I realized that I don't even understand the question. Then after a few years of trying to understand the question I gave up and now I don't really care anymore.
Thank you for replying, anyways :)

chinu

chinu
Interesting questions, thanks for starting this thread. I find it difficult to assign a probability to things like this. What would it feel like to be 90% sure God exists or doesn't exist, for example? I really don't know how you can define or quantify that.
Like; different people have different patience-levels.
Similary; different people have different believe-levels.

No patience-meter, or believe-meter yet made by any person.

Bear Wild

There are no gods or goddesses that I would deny their existence. There are the gods and goddesses I know and interact with. There are the gods and goddesses that I know about but do not interact with that exist. There are the gods and goddesses that I have not yet heard of or know anything about that I have no doubt exist to those who know them.

I even accept the god of science who people sacrifice to. The goddess if technology who is a terrifying goddess which demands sacrifice, ritual, and wants to have your unwavering devotion. And there are many more even in our modern society too many to list now that definitely exist.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

I don't see it as a matter of measuring percentage of belief or certainty. I don't know of any "gods" that exist, and any speculation I might make in that regard would be mere guessing and imagining.

I'm fairly certain that I exist, and that being the case, it stands to reason that "something" exists, but what that "something" might be, I have no idea. I don't how that can translate into a percentage of certainty of "god exists" or "no god exists." I tend to identify as agnostic myself, although I don't see it as a kind of 50/50 proposition.

If we define "God" as "the thing which set the universe in motion which led to the natural development of solar systems and planets and the evolution of 'life' as we know it," then I would say that I don't know what that "thing" is. The universe exists, and there are objects in motion.

It seems to me the matter of contention is not "if" there is "something" that set the universe in motion, but what that "something" happens to be.
There are those who skip over that part and assume that it must be "someone" who set the universe in motion, without first knowing what "thing" it is first. It's all such a mystery, but "god" is often used as a placeholder for the mysteries of the universe we don't know. Others might become more specific about it and ascribe human attributes to their god or gods, such as love, jealousy, revenge, rage, etc. Some people believe in different gods or might have different conceptions about the universe and the origins of life. Some see it as some kind of grand design or divine plan for something, where even the minutest details of an individual's life "happen for a reason." But it's all based on some assumption that "someone" must have caused all of this intentionally.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
If we define "God" as "the thing which set the universe in motion which led to the natural development of solar systems and planets and the evolution of 'life' as we know it," then I would say that I don't know what that "thing" is. The universe exists, and there are objects in motion.
But why would we do that?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
100% certainty.

That doesn't mean that my faith is strong .. it waxes and wanes, but due to experience,
I cannot ever conclude that "G-d does not exist" .. it is totally illogical .. to me.
What do you make of people like me, who approach the world with the expectation that no gods exist and never see anything that can't be completely reconciled with this expectation?

Nothing I've ever seen has even hinted to me that a god might exist.

Clizby Wampuscat

Not sure I can put a number on it. I am not 100% certain there is no god but I am 95% certain maybe. This is based on the lack of good evidence for the claim. I am 99.9999999% certain bigfoot does not exist based on the lack of good evidence for that claim. I put god at a little less than bigfoot's existence since we can investigate all the places bigfoots might exist, we cannot investigate all the places god may exist.