• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How The World’s Most Notorious Atheist Changed His Mind

ArtieE

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
Here's an interesting book - yet 2 read it but sounds excellent ...

http://www.changinglives.org.au/item-by-category/books/item/360-there-is-a-god.html

Have a good one!
I agree that the argument from design of 'living' things including DNA that has a blueprint for everything that accomplishes mindboggling things is a persuasive argument for intelligent design. I think the earth would like every other planet we see if left only to the forces understood by modern science. This is not proof but strong evidence for design. My reason for belief in intelligent design is based on other evidence and arguments also.

ArtieE

I agree that the argument from design of 'living' things including DNA that has a blueprint for everything that accomplishes mindboggling things is a persuasive argument for intelligent design. I think the earth would like every other planet we see if left only to the forces understood by modern science. This is not proof but strong evidence for design. My reason for belief in intelligent design is based on other evidence and arguments also.
There are an estimated 8.7 million species on the planet today and 99.9% of all species are extinct. Were they all individually designed or what exactly was designed?

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
It is funny that no one knew that Antony Flew was supposed to be the most notorious atheist.

I don't think his reasons for becoming a deist are very sound. But the truth is, he needs no reason whatsoever. Never did.

I am a bit sorry that he felt the need to justify it. It is both unnecessary and unflattering.

George-ananda

Premium Member
There are an estimated 8.7 million species on the planet today and 99.9% of all species are extinct. Were they all individually designed or what exactly was designed?
The process of working with the elements of the earth to produce DNA and life. I believe in nature spirit intelligences that have intelligence in their areas far beyond ours but they are not omniscient either. They learned from what worked and didn't work.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I think the need for belief in a purpose behind existence or life is largely an artifact from a lack of information and undestanding about the numbers and realities involved, but I suppose it ends up being a matter of esthetical preference.

ArtieE

The process of working with the elements of the earth to produce DNA and life. I believe in nature spirit intelligences that have intelligence in their areas far beyond ours but they are not omniscient either. They learned from what worked and didn't work.
OK. If you have any actual objective evidence that these "nature spirit intelligences" exist I would be very interested.

George-ananda

Premium Member
OK. If you have any actual objective evidence that these "nature spirit intelligences" exist I would be very interested.
No, my belief comes from those that I objectively believe can perceive beyond the physical plane.

ArtieE

No, my belief comes from those that I objectively believe can perceive beyond the physical plane.
You mean those you subjectively believe can perceive beyond the physical plane. Those people, could they be persuaded to work with scientists so that we might be able to create instruments capable of perceiving "beyond the physical plane"?

George-ananda

Premium Member
You mean those you subjectively believe can perceive beyond the physical plane. Those people, could they be persuaded to work with scientists so that we might be able to create instruments capable of perceiving "beyond the physical plane"?
I am sure they would be very willing to assist. But this involves elements outside of our familiar three-dimensional space and vibrational levels outside of detectable levels. Capable equipment is not there yet but may be someday. For now, it may be like trying to capture an atom with a butterfly net.

buddhist

If samsara, and the universe, was infinite, as Buddhism suggests, then it is more than possible that all these things we find in our universe is one possibility out of an infinite number of possiblities.

If he limits himself to the premise and supposition that the universe is only billions of years old, then probably not.