• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How to become an atheist

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
No. I'm not going to teach you how to be an atheist. Either you believe in god/s or you don't. I thought this interesting wikihow article. http://m.wikihow.com/Become-an-Atheist It made me shuckle in some ways and in others made me ponder a bit.

For the open mind and open heart. Religious and non religious alike.

Cheerios!

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Actually, it is easy and often healthy to become an atheist.

There is an actual manual published with a similar title. Interesting and recommended reading material.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Actually, it is easy and often healthy to become an atheist.

There is an actual manual published with a similar title. Interesting and recommended reading material.

Interesting. I never really thought you can become an atheist just someone who has matured and found who he actually is to begin with not how people want him to be (indoctrinated).

Deathbydefault

Apistevist Asexual Atheist
I agree with the somewhat apparent premise of 'question what you believe'.
It also seems good that this article isn't evangelical in nature.
The entire article more or less gives a good read to those who have begun to question their beliefs.

It's decent.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Interesting. I never really thought you can become an atheist just someone who has matured and found who he actually is to begin with not how people want him to be (indoctrinated).
In a way you are right.

But it should be kept in mind that what is understood by "being" or "becoming" an atheist or even a theist will vary a lot according to many factors.

Some people even oscillate between the two stances in a matter of days or even hours. Which IMO is actually a rather minor thing. Neither theism nor atheism mean much in and of themselves. What they enable, forbid or encourage, and which ideas they associate with, are the real meat of the meal.

Deidre

It is more of a natural 'conclusion' than a choice, when one identifies with the atheist ''label.'' (IMO) It did me well to identify as an atheist for a few years, because it helped me understand people in my life who are atheists, and atheism in general.

tjgillies

No. I'm not going to teach you how to be an atheist. Either you believe in god/s or you don't. I thought this interesting wikihow article. http://m.wikihow.com/Become-an-Atheist It made me shuckle in some ways and in others made me ponder a bit.

For the open mind and open heart. Religious and non religious alike.

Cheerios!
I consider myself mostly atheist. Meaning that most forms of God that atheists don't believe in, I don't believe in either. In my faith the essence of God is incomprehensible. Too often I find religions trying to anthropomorphize God into a bearded sky man.

NewGuyOnTheBlock

Cult Survivor/Fundamentalist Pentecostal Apostate
From an ethical and rational point of view, I agree that it is easy to become atheist. But, for those who have been heavily religious ... as I was ... it is not always an easy road. All of one's worldview, identity, sense of safety and security ... all of this is very often tied into a belief of a personal god at the heart. For such persons, becoming an atheist is a hard and arduous journey. I asked my first question in 1989. It wasn't until 2013 that I removed the last remnant of belief in the supernatural. In discarding such a deeply held faith, at least for a time, the only certainty is uncertainty.