• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How To Sell Books?

We were given a collection of old books awhile back by a friend who had inherited them from another friend. He didn't read, but knew they were valuable, and knew we enjoyed books. He dumped the whole lot here, and we sifted through what we wanted, what we didn't want, and what we thought might be valuable and wouldn't want to put in a 'take a book, leave a book' box.

We finally got around to investigating(a couple years later), and some of these books fetch prices from several hundred to several thousand dollars online. Being as these are books we'd probably never read ourselves and could use the cash, we'd like to sell them. Question is, how does one go about doing this? Half Price Books doesn't give you beans, and I don't really know what the best way to do this is.
There is only one best way to sell books. find people who purchase books. Then you need to entice them to purchase. Remember, just because they buy books, doesn't mean they'll buy your books. You need to give some kind of pizzazz over everybody else to make the sale.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
The books got buried in other hoardy type stuff, and it took me months to deal with that... that room is usable again, but in the meantime, I forgot about the books...

*sigh*

There is too much **** in this house.

How's it going? Sold any books yet?

Ella S.

*temp banned*
There are also antique shops and pawn stores, although you might have to haggle with them over the price and not all of them will be willing to purchase your wares from you.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
Come on, there's good money in those books. Don't forget my 10%
I'll give you 40% if you clean the room they're in so I can get to them.

Husband has played 'hoarding closet' with it again. I've gutted that room several times since we've lived here, but I don't have the spoons to do it now.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

Husband has played 'hoarding closet' with it again. I've gutted that room several times since we've lived here, but I don't have the spoons to do it now.

Never mind spoons, what you need is big shovels or even something like a bobcat mini digger

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
We were given a collection of old books awhile back by a friend who had inherited them from another friend. He didn't read, but knew they were valuable, and knew we enjoyed books. He dumped the whole lot here, and we sifted through what we wanted, what we didn't want, and what we thought might be valuable and wouldn't want to put in a 'take a book, leave a book' box.

We finally got around to investigating(a couple years later), and some of these books fetch prices from several hundred to several thousand dollars online. Being as these are books we'd probably never read ourselves and could use the cash, we'd like to sell them. Question is, how does one go about doing this? Half Price Books doesn't give you beans, and I don't really know what the best way to do this is.
For modern books in demand, I've found Amazon to be best.
For antique technical books, it's tougher, but ebay has been useful.

Brickjectivity

Brick Block
Staff member
Premium Member
abebooks used to be the way and still is sometimes though it is now part of Amazon. It was a way to connect with many small book sellers, and so you could be a book seller on there. Now you can do that through Amazon.

I buy some good books on thriftbooks dot com. They are a competitor and have a lot of out of print books. I buy classic IT books through them. Here is their "How to sell your book through us" page called their 'library' page.
Code:
https://www.thriftbooks.com/partners/sell/

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
My theory is say they’re getting banned or censored. Nothing sells better than piqued curiosity and a need to “rebel.”
:p

Seriously though. Online and audiobooks is probably the best way to go in these modern times

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
abebooks used to be the way and still is sometimes though it is now part of Amazon. It was a way to connect with many small book sellers, and so you could be a book seller on there. Now you can do that through Amazon.

I buy some good books on thriftbooks dot com. They are a competitor and have a lot of out of print books. I buy classic IT books through them. Here is their "How to sell your book through us" page called their 'library' page.
Code:
https://www.thriftbooks.com/partners/sell/
I like thriftbooks. They give me free books once and awhile. :D

Brickjectivity

Brick Block
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm curious, what book is worth $2,000? :openmouth: I'm imagining some kind of college textbook?
Used: 4794$ a 26 volume set of Chemical Technology encyclopedias. Encyclopedia of Chemical Technology. Volumes 1-26 with index volume (Kirk-Othmer Encyclopedia of Chemical Technology): Kirk-Othmer: 9780471484943: Amazon.com: Books

Ullman's Encyclopedia of Industrial Chemistry is 10 thousand dollars hard cover: new.

So there you go. Want to know how to make your own soap? You can probably find it in one of these bad boys.

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
Used: 4794$ a 26 volume set of Chemical Technology encyclopedias. Encyclopedia of Chemical Technology. Volumes 1-26 with index volume (Kirk-Othmer Encyclopedia of Chemical Technology): Kirk-Othmer: 9780471484943: Amazon.com: Books

Ullman's Encyclopedia of Industrial Chemistry is 10 thousand dollars hard cover: new.

So there you go. Want to know how to make your own soap? You can probably find it in one of these bad boys.
7z2vl3.jpg

Onasander

Get some wax paper, tape and scissors. Cover the books in wax paper, leaving just the corners exposed so air gets out. This helps mitigates water damage. Put books in least humid part of the house. Don't seal them in plastic.

Open up a amazon.com or ebay.com account. Buy some boxes and bubble wrap the size of the books, and prepare to pay for international shipping upfront. Show pics of the outside and inside of the books. Describe what is autographed. Don't go to a dealer. You are the dealer.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member

Sorry for the tangent, and perhaps this should be a new thread...

I'm struck by your use of the word "spoons" in this context. This is a term we use around our house, but I've always assumed it's not a well known use.

So I'm curious to know if this use of the word "spoons" is perhaps more wide spread than I thought?

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member

I'm a book fanatic so you could just send them to my house. :D

Just kidding. EBay is your best bet, I think. That's where I look for old books.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
I'm a book fanatic so you could just send them to my house. :D

Just kidding. EBay is your best bet, I think. That's where I look for old books.
Ebay banned me for some reason. I have no idea why, and when I contacted them they wouldn't tell me.

I hadn't even ordered anything. I was browsing Barbies...
Sorry for the tangent, and perhaps this should be a new thread...

I'm struck by your use of the word "spoons" in this context. This is a term we use around our house, but I've always assumed it's not a well known use.

So I'm curious to know if this use of the word "spoons" is perhaps more wide spread than I thought?
I've heard it used plenty. :)