• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How would alienlife fit into Christian Worldview?

nnmartin

suppose one day science can prove alien life, or we make contact with humans or high level organisms from another planet. How would this fit into the Christian theology?

Would the other planet have their own form of Jesus?

cablescavenger

suppose one day science can prove alien life, or we make contact with humans or high level organisms from another planet. How would this fit into the Christian theology?

The same way everything does.

Christians will amend their religious beliefs, reinterpret parts of the bible, and incorporate it into God's brilliant plan for mankind and alien kind.

Then they will give the aliens a book, and pass the plate round.

mohammed_beiruti

metaphorically! yes they can ?

just ask a theologian to interpret a verse metaphorically, that would be exciting!

bjpascoal

Just my opinion but I think it would be egotistical of us to think that we are the sum of all of God's creation. He is infinite so I can only imagine that there is other life out there.

Adso

With as creative as God is, I'd be surprised if there wasn't alien life. I don't think it would radically alter Christian theology, although a lot of people would probably abandon their faith.

Photonic

Ad astra!
With as creative as God is, I'd be surprised if there wasn't alien life. I don't think it would radically alter Christian theology, although a lot of people would probably abandon their faith.

Except that the Christian faith claims humans are the pinnacle (actually even more so, claim that specific humans) of life.

That doesn't factor too well with the whole alien thing.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006

Sure. We'd find ways to expand out theology.

Adso

Except that the Christian faith claims humans are the pinnacle (actually even more so, claim that specific humans) of life.

That doesn't factor too well with the whole alien thing.

That's not really the case, but either way, it's a non-point. The existence of a species that aren't human doesn't matter one iota. There are over a million different species of animals on our planet; what difference would it really make if there happened to be more on other planets?

Photonic

Ad astra!
That's not really the case, but either way, it's a non-point. The existence of a species that aren't human doesn't matter one iota. There are over a million different species of animals on our planet; what difference would it really make if there happened to be more on other planets?

Can you substantiate that a little more please? I'm curious to know where you are going with that.

Adso

Can you substantiate that a little more please? I'm curious to know where you are going with that.

You stated that humans are the pinnacle of life. That's not really true. Christianity is primarily based on the idea that Man is fallen and are far from the pinnacle of what God intended.

Anyways, nothing about the existence of aliens would change Christianity; it would just be a discovery of a new species.

nnmartin

So if there were another planet inhabited by humans would Jesus have visited there as well at another time?

What if they had their own Bible and it contradicted with Earth's version?

Photonic

Ad astra!
You stated that humans are the pinnacle of life. That's not really true. Christianity is primarily based on the idea that Man is fallen and are far from the pinnacle of what God intended.

Anyways, nothing about the existence of aliens would change Christianity; it would just be a discovery of a new species.

Except that I did not make the statement about humans being the pinnacle of life. That is a claim made by Christianity. I am simply pointing out that it would have a severe problem with incorporating a life-form that would most likely be superior to us in every way.

Adso

Except that I did not make the statement about humans being the pinnacle of life. That is a claim made by Christianity.

No, it really isn't. Please show me were you're getting this idea from...

I am simply pointing out that it would have a severe problem with incorporating a life-form that would most likely be superior to us in every way.

Why do you assume alien life would be superior to us? What qualifiers are you even using?

doppelganger

Through the Looking Glass
Christian mythology is already full of "aliens." God, Jesus, Satan, angels and even the Virgin Mary in some forms are all "extra-terrestrial" beings - personalities that are either not originally from this world as we know it, or that were but now visit from someplace "else". When you read anything translated as "the Heavens" in an ancient text, you are reading text that was probably intended to be a reference to the realm of the stars - what we would now call "space."

Last edited:

Photonic

Ad astra!

Why do you assume alien life would be superior to us? What qualifiers are you even using?

You really are going to tell me you, as a Christian, believe that God would put animals higher than humans?

Photonic

Ad astra!

You really are going to tell me you, as a Christian, believe that God would put animals higher than humans?

Is there an animal Bible?

Do Animals go to heaven, have souls, etc?

not nom

how does asking what an unqualified "superior" is supposed to mean imply that statement? you are putting something above the other without giving any reason why. are you saying we are "above" simple animals, that maybe big apes are "closer" to us, and that super smart space faring aliens would be "superior" to us? if so, according to what criteria?

not nom

oh, and regarding the topic: that kinda depends on their worldview, too ^^

"alien life" could mean so much, it could mean anything... actually answering such a question seems impossible... so I think that bridge will be crossed when and if we get to it.