• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How would the discovery of alien life change religion?

Lorgar-Aurelian

Do you think if we ever discovered alien life that religion would change? Would this maybe cause some creationists for instance to turn away from this way of thinking? What about pagans, would this change paganism at all?

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
It wouldn't have any affect on my beliefs or practices, beyond reinforcing my belief that we will eventually find that there is life, including sentient life, elsewhere and elsewhen in the universe.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
It would simply cause more convoluted apologetic arguments to be created... sigh.

Lorgar-Aurelian

It would simply cause more convoluted apologetic arguments to be created... sigh.
IT WOULD BE GLORIOUS! can't you imagine space jesus being a thing?
PraiseSpaceJesus.jpg

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member
Well, there's some, usually Christians, who believe that ETs are/would be demons or that the universe is empty of intelligent life except for Earth because we're too special to their God. They would be in for a rude awakening and have to undergo a huge shift.

It wouldn't bother me at all. I'm pretty convinced that there's intelligent life on other planets. The odds are way too small for there not to be. Maybe they have their own religions, maybe they don't. That doesn't concern me. My religion doesn't seek converts and is Earth-oriented in the first place, so I doubt that ETs would be interested in worshiping a Greek God of Earth's sky, for example (unless they moved to Earth, I guess).

Kemosloby

Premium Member
Of course not, those are genetically modified monkeys posing as aliens to further anti religious agendas of the left.

Nietzsche

The Last Prussian
Premium Member
Do you think if we ever discovered alien life that religion would change? Would this maybe cause some creationists for instance to turn away from this way of thinking? What about pagans, would this change paganism at all?
There is already supposed to be intelligent non-human life in the Norse tradition. Two types of Jotnar, Trolls, Dwarves, Elves amongst others. So, not a big deal. In fact, most of these creatures are from places one needs a "ship" to get to.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Of course not, those are genetically modified monkeys posing as aliens to further anti religious agendas of the left.

I rated this as funny. But it's also sad as it gets to a phenomenon that something can happen, be shown on TV and then not believed by a significant minority of people.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
It wouldn't change my religious beliefs as I already believe in alien and interdimensional life. I could only see it affecting the narrowest of Biblical and Quranic interpreters.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I think it depends on what we find. Hawking says pretty much everyone should freak out if we find a technologically more advanced race, as that has historically worked out badly for the less technological.

As just a religious exercise though, even the Earth and humanocentric Christians I've talked to have had more 'I would assume God has a plan for them that has nothing to do with me unless I'm told otherwise. Genesis never said this was the ONLY planet created.'

VioletVortex

It would thlogical notions that our world was created by deities in a manner outstanding from other planets. That's about it.

Callisto

Hellenismos, BTW

Wouldn't change anything for Hellenics or Trad Wiccans. Ancient Hellenic scientists and philosophers were pondering life on other planets as far back as 4th century BCE. The philosopher Metrodorus stated, "To consider the earth to be the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field sown with millet only one grain will grow."

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I think it depends on what we find. Hawking says pretty much everyone should freak out if we find a technologically more advanced race, as that has historically worked out badly for the less technological.

As just a religious exercise though, even the Earth and humanocentric Christians I've talked to have had more 'I would assume God has a plan for them that has nothing to do with me unless I'm told otherwise. Genesis never said this was the ONLY planet created.'
They could always ship Ray guns hidden inside bible's.

Sudy Rao

IAmFromEarth
I do not think anything would affect / change anything for over 90% of faith followers (Especially Monotheistic)

There are a lot of things which unproved the written. "Earth is spherical and it is not just our solar system": These were proved long ago and nothing changed. :D