• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How would you reform k-12 education?

NoName

Ryan2065 said:
So do away with it instead of reforming it? Why is it the last year of high school is such a waste? Is it due to the classes or due to the attitude of the students taking those classes? In my highschool I took some Calculus courses in high school as well as some AP courses... To say that "Oh you will get college credit at your FREE public school so why not go to college and PAY to take those same classes." is quite the bad statement. =)
Even better point!

Ryan2065

jonny said:
What? I don't get what you're saying. There are many people who right now pay no taxes because of poverty. How is making them pay taxes going to give them more money?
They are not paying them because they are so high. As I stated before, if everyone paid taxes, they would be much lower... And if there was a sales tax, practically everyone would then have to pay taxes. So then taxes would be way lower, and then people would also have more money to spend on food and what not.

There would still be foodstamps and things like that for people who do not have the money to buy food.... We have that now, I never said to get rid of food stamps =P

jonny

Ryan2065 said:
So do away with it instead of reforming it? Why is it the last year of high school is such a waste? Is it due to the classes or due to the attitude of the students taking those classes? In my highschool I took some Calculus courses in high school as well as some AP courses... To say that "Oh you will get college credit at your FREE public school so why not go to college and PAY to take those same classes." is quite the bad statement. =)
I think you're getting two of my points mixed up. We are discussing target schools, such as an art school, math/science school, etc. that base curriculum around student's strengths.

Doing away with the last year in high school is unrelated to this discussion. I really think it is a waste of time. My senior year I had early release and late arrival. While I was at school I had five periods. One I was a TA. My CWP class was taught by the football coach. It consisted of us coming to class and talking with our friends while he prepared for the games. I also had a film studies class where we watched movies every day (this was considered English) and band. The only worthwhile class I was taking was Algebra, which I was retaking because I had got a D the year before.

Funny thing, I got a D in high school algebra and an A in college calculus, algebra, and statistics. The quality of teaching really does make a difference.

how would i reform it?
1. hold students and teachers to higher standards
2. teach kids when they're in school, if they're not learning there's no point
3. attract higher quality teachers by a higher pay scale and again, holding them to high standards

jonny

Ryan2065 said:
They are not paying them because they are so high. As I stated before, if everyone paid taxes, they would be much lower... And if there was a sales tax, practically everyone would then have to pay taxes. So then taxes would be way lower, and then people would also have more money to spend on food and what not.

There would still be foodstamps and things like that for people who do not have the money to buy food.... We have that now, I never said to get rid of food stamps =P
I still don't see how having people pay taxes who are not paying taxes currently is going to give them more money to spend. Please show me how this works mathematically.

NoName

Jonny - maybe you were to blame. Or was it that your just did not offer any classes at all to anybody? I think you were probably not looking.

jonny

NoName said:
Jonny - maybe you were to blame. Or was it that your just did not offer any classes at all to anybody? I think you were probably not looking.
I had all the classes I needed to graduate other than CWP and the last year of English. I guess that is my fault.

NoName

so . . . maybe you should have either pushed yourself, or the real reform should be to raise the standards of graduation, not lower the grade at which you graduate. I think the standards to graduate from high school are rediculously low. But is the best solution for that to lower then even more (by saying you graduate at 11 intead of 12 grade)?

The Black Whirlwind

retrorich said:
Summer vacations should be shortened to two weeks.
you are an evil person. Never again propose such an abhorrent idea:tsk:

To reform, get better teachers. Kick out the old grouches and send in some fresh new people who want to teach, and who are good at it. Make math funner. Segregate the genders, because they are better off being taught in different scenarios. guys like the military, so teach them about the military. Girls like other stuff, so teach them about that. If we make schools funner for the kids, they'll enjoy it more, and excel more. shortening summer vacation will just **** them off.

Ryan2065

Fat Kat Matt said:
To reform, get better teachers. Kick out the old grouches and send in some fresh new people who want to teach, and who are good at it. Make math funner. Segregate the genders, because they are better off being taught in different scenarios. guys like the military, so teach them about the military. Girls like other stuff, so teach them about that. If we make schools funner for the kids, they'll enjoy it more, and excel more. shortening summer vacation will just **** them off.
And instead of math we can teach them Comics!!!

Ryan2065

jonny said:
I think you're getting two of my points mixed up. We are discussing target schools, such as an art school, math/science school, etc. that base curriculum around student's strengths.

Doing away with the last year in high school is unrelated to this discussion.
So getting away with the senior year of highschool is unrelated to this discussion how? The title is "How would you reform k-12 education" and your idea to reform it would be to get rid of senior year of high school... I fail to see how this ISN'T a reform idea...

jonny said:
I really think it is a waste of time. My senior year I had early release and late arrival. While I was at school I had five periods. One I was a TA. My CWP class was taught by the football coach. It consisted of us coming to class and talking with our friends while he prepared for the games. I also had a film studies class where we watched movies every day (this was considered English) and band. The only worthwhile class I was taking was Algebra, which I was retaking because I had got a D the year before.
And my senior year of high school was not a waste of time and I learned alot in it... I was "forced" to learn stuff that I would not have learned in college because I know I would never take a chem course in college.

jonny said:
I still don't see how having people pay taxes who are not paying taxes currently is going to give them more money to spend. Please show me how this works mathematically.
Ok, here is what I said... The people are not currently paying taxes because they are so high. If they were to switch to a sales tax based system instead of our current system, taxes would be lowered because this would force everyone to pay taxes. I don't know about you, but about 25% of my paycheck's money each year is given straight to the government. This would be 25% more money for me to spend. You are trying to change the argument to a completely rediculous statement of "if they do not pay taxes now, making them pay taxes will give them less money." Yes genius, that is right... But you see, the government will have MORE money, which means more money for welfare, more money for food stamps, more money for all that fun stuff that the underprivlidged need. This is how they will get more money.