• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How you define God?

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Either way, your little snit has little to nothing to do with the point of the conversation.

Neither did yours; I was just following your example. :p

That's a personal god, a deity that is deified for personal interests and relationship. A personal Deity must be different from the universal God and the Creator.

Huh? I don't understand. I thought "personal god" referred to deities understood to be persons (aka, identifiable individuals with distinctive personalities and attributes) who relate to human beings on a personal level (e.g., listening to and responding to prayers, being concerned with the affairs of individual humans). Then again, I've never really understood the phrase "personal god" to begin with, so... meh. Its usage seems to be rather inconsistent.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
Doesn't exist or unknown?
God is defined as the one that is not yet known so far and is vague.
However miracles do happen and people worship God. Many of the individual have personal experience with the God.

I agree; miracles do happen. People worship God :) A real miracle would be if you guys start believing, at least, in the same god.

Joking aside, personal experiences do not count as evidence. If they did, then abductng aliens, and a whole plethora of weird things, would be supported by evidence,

Especially personal experiences, or relationships. That is obvious considering the divergent views that exist already within the restricted set of Christians. Let alone between Christians and Hindus, or whatever.

Hell/no hell. Weapons/no weapons. Death penalty/no death penalty. Gays/no gays. New earth/old earth. Evolution/ no evolution, etc.

I wonder what they talk about with God during one of those experiences many of them claim to have.

Ciao

- viole

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Highest faith.
Quite often, deities are rather blatantly personifications of one's ideals.

I take it that you will not accept understandings of deities that make them human creations?

Your privilege, but that is still a legitimate stance for one to take, and a particularly difficult one to challenge.

TheSwede

There are no consensus on what a god or a deity is.
I have come to the conclusion that what humans choose to call a god is a god. There is no specific attributes that you can use to set if a being is a god or not.

For all purposes Santa Clause (not just the American version) in our days may look as a god with his own religion for scholars looking back 3000 years from now trying to figure out our culture, because a lot of celebration during winter looks like organized religion with him in the center of worship. But we don't CALL him a god, so he's not.

On the other hand, there are cult leaders and similar that have no supernatural powers, do not claim to have created the world, but are defined as gods by their worshipers. In those peoples cases they are living proof of that gods exists.

A Christian wouldn't accept a god that wasn't omnipotent, but that would take away most other gods through out history, so obviously a bar that high for a definition of a god is not correct. Is there a to low bar? If someone holds the belief that we humans are gods (anyone read "The Egg"?)

God is a titled name that means power. Because there are many gods in the world, God wanted us to know the true God to follow so he also gives us his personal name Jehovah so we know the true God to follow. Exodus 6:2 And God spake unto Moses, and said unto him, I am the Lord: 3 And I appeared unto Abraham, unto Issac, and unto Jacob, by the name of God Almighty, but by my name JEHOVAH was I not known to them.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
How you define God?

112:1
In the name of Allah, the Gracious, the Merciful.
112:2
Say, ‘He is Allah, the One;
112:3
‘Allah, the Independent and Besought of all.
112:4
‘He begets not, nor is He begotten;
112:5
‘And there is none like unto Him.’

Regards

بِسۡمِ اللّٰہِ الرَّحۡمٰنِ الرَّحِیۡمِ ﴿۱
قُلۡ ہُوَ اللّٰہُ اَحَدٌ ۚ﴿۲
اَللّٰہُ الصَّمَدُ ۚ﴿۳
لَمۡ یَلِدۡ ۬ۙ وَلَمۡ یُوۡلَدۡ ۙ﴿۴
وَلَمۡ یَکُنۡ لَّہٗ کُفُوًا اَحَدٌ ﴿۵

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
I want to conclude, what God actually means. Define God.
I do not think God can be defined. God is the Mystery of Mysteries and I like it that way.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
How you define God?

Humans cannot define G-d, but G-d Himself can define and He has defined Himself in many styles for our understanding and benefit, right?
I have given one definition in my post #50, another is:
1:1
In the name of Allah, the Gracious, the Merciful.
1:2
All praise belongs to Allah, Lord of all the worlds,
1:3
The Gracious, the Merciful,
1:4
Master of the Day of Judgment.
1:5
Thee alone do we worship and Thee alone do we implore for help.
1:6
Guide us in the right path —
1:7
The path of those on whom Thou hast bestowed Thy blessings, those who have not incurred Thy displeasure, and those who have not gone astray
Right?

Regards

بِسۡمِ اللّٰہِ الرَّحۡمٰنِ الرَّحِیۡمِ ﴿۱
اَلۡحَمۡدُ لِلّٰہِ رَبِّ الۡعٰلَمِیۡنَ ۙ﴿۲
الرَّحۡمٰنِ الرَّحِیۡمِ ۙ﴿۳
مٰلِکِ یَوۡمِ الدِّیۡنِ ؕ﴿۴
اِیَّاکَ نَعۡبُدُ وَاِیَّاکَ نَسۡتَعِیۡنُ ؕ﴿۵
اِہۡدِنَا الصِّرَاطَ الۡمُسۡتَقِیۡمَ ۙ﴿۶
صِرَاطَ الَّذِیۡنَ اَنۡعَمۡتَ عَلَیۡہِمۡ ۬ۙ غَیۡرِ الۡمَغۡضُوۡبِ عَلَیۡہِمۡ وَلَا الضَّآلِّیۡنَ ﴿٪۷

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
It's related to the word "valued", which in a higher extent is something that is "great", which is related to the word "exalted" (a higher form of greatness) and God is exalted above all exalted ones that he deserves an exalting unique to him. The highest word for valuing and exalting should be for God alone.

It's a relative word, so every one will have a god. That is because everyone values something. God is supposed to valued above all. If we value our caprice above all and make it the number one thing we prioritize, then per Quran, that is our god.

أَفَرَأَيْتَ مَنِ اتَّخَذَ إِلَٰهَهُ هَوَاهُ وَأَضَلَّهُ اللَّهُ عَلَىٰ عِلْمٍ وَخَتَمَ عَلَىٰ سَمْعِهِ وَقَلْبِهِ وَجَعَلَ عَلَىٰ بَصَرِهِ غِشَاوَةً فَمَنْ يَهْدِيهِ مِنْ بَعْدِ اللَّهِ ۚ أَفَلَا تَذَكَّرُونَ | Have you seen him who has taken his caprice to be his god and whom Allah has led astray knowingly, set a seal upon his hearing and heart, and put a blindfold on his sight? So who will guide him after Allah [has consigned him to error]? Will you not then take admonition? | Al-Jaathiya : 23

The believers loved God above all things:

وَمِنَ النَّاسِ مَنْ يَتَّخِذُ مِنْ دُونِ اللَّهِ أَنْدَادًا يُحِبُّونَهُمْ كَحُبِّ اللَّهِ ۖ وَالَّذِينَ آمَنُوا أَشَدُّ حُبًّا لِلَّهِ ۗ وَلَوْ يَرَى الَّذِينَ ظَلَمُوا إِذْ يَرَوْنَ الْعَذَابَ أَنَّ الْقُوَّةَ لِلَّهِ جَمِيعًا وَأَنَّ اللَّهَ شَدِيدُ الْعَذَابِ | Among the people are those who set up compeers besides Allah, loving them as if loving Allah—but the faithful have a more ardent love for Allah—though the wrongdoers will see, when they sight the punishment, that power, altogether, belongs to Allah, and that Allah is severe in punishment. | Al-Baqara : 165

In fact, believers prioritize the Prophet and his successors over themselves per 33:6. To prioritize God should mean we prefer striving in his path to the temporary pleasures of the life of this world:

قُلْ إِنْ كَانَ آبَاؤُكُمْ وَأَبْنَاؤُكُمْ وَإِخْوَانُكُمْ وَأَزْوَاجُكُمْ وَعَشِيرَتُكُمْ وَأَمْوَالٌ اقْتَرَفْتُمُوهَا وَتِجَارَةٌ تَخْشَوْنَ كَسَادَهَا وَمَسَاكِنُ تَرْضَوْنَهَا أَحَبَّ إِلَيْكُمْ مِنَ اللَّهِ وَرَسُولِهِ وَجِهَادٍ فِي سَبِيلِهِ فَتَرَبَّصُوا حَتَّىٰ يَأْتِيَ اللَّهُ بِأَمْرِهِ ۗ وَاللَّهُ لَا يَهْدِي الْقَوْمَ الْفَاسِقِينَ | Say, ‘If your fathers and your sons, your brethren, your spouses, and your kinsfolk, the possessions that you have acquired, the business you fear may suffer, and the dwellings you are fond of, are dearer to you than Allah and His Apostle and to waging jihad in His way, then wait until Allah issues His edict, and Allah does not guide the transgressing lot. | At-Tawba : 24

This is why Quran in several places says whoever desires the life of this world, will have nothing of the next, but the fire.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
How you define God?

Humans cannot define G-d, but G-d Himself can define and He has defined Himself in many styles for our understanding and benefit, right?
I have given two definitions of G-d in my post #50,#53 in His own words, now I give
another :
2:256
Allahthere is no God but He, the Living, the Self-Subsisting and All-Sustaining. Slumber seizes Him not, nor sleep. To Him belongs whatsoever is in the heavens and whatsoever is in the earth. Who is he that will intercede with Him except by His permission? He knows what is before them and what is behind them; and they encompass nothing of His knowledge except what He pleases. His knowledge extends over the heavens and the earth; and the care of them burdens Him not; and He is the High, the Great.
Right?

Regards
2:256 in original Arabic Text and it never changed/altered and as fresh as Muhammad recited it:
اَللّٰہُ لَاۤ اِلٰہَ اِلَّا ھُوَ ۚ اَلۡحَیُّ الۡقَیُّوۡمُ ۬ۚ لَا تَاۡخُذُہٗ سِنَۃٌ وَّلَا نَوۡمٌ ؕ لَہٗ مَا فِی السَّمٰوٰتِ وَمَا فِی الۡاَرۡضِ ؕ مَنۡ ذَا الَّذِیۡ یَشۡفَعُ عِنۡدَہٗۤ اِلَّا بِاِذۡنِہٖ ؕ یَعۡلَمُ مَا بَیۡنَ اَیۡدِیۡہِمۡ وَمَا خَلۡفَہُمۡ ۚ وَلَا یُحِیۡطُوۡنَ بِشَیۡءٍ مِّنۡ عِلۡمِہٖۤ اِلَّا بِمَا شَآءَ ۚ وَسِعَ کُرۡسِیُّہُ السَّمٰوٰتِ وَالۡاَرۡضَ ۚ وَلَا یَـُٔوۡدُہٗ حِفۡظُہُمَا ۚ وَہُوَ الۡعَلِیُّ الۡعَظِیۡمُ ﴿۲۵۶

alf

God is man expressed in the following way.

The first period is hidden, it is in the world, but it is not of the world it is a fetus, so baby, child, boy, adolescent, human, a mature person and old man.

There is another state, death, in which the seven states from baby to old man are in one (crown, seven-headed dragon). This state is identical to the fetus or to say, god is in him and he is in god. Some are called ouroboros.

Each one separately is a god, and yet one is a god.

You are gods!

Although I use bodily terms, the thought is of the soul-spirit.