• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Howdy!

Chibiusa

I came here to discuss religion with various people because I myself am considering conversion to Christianity! I may hold certain opinions that seem odd to everyone, but I promise I will try to make sense! All I can say is, howday to y'all!

ayani

welcome chibi! howdy! :D

you say you are think of converting to Christianity, cool. where do you come from spiritually?

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Howdy, mystery person. Tell us something about yourself, and why you're considering conversion to Christianity.

Double posts? Just delete one of them.

Chibiusa

Seyorni said:
Howdy, mystery person. Tell us something about yourself, and why you're considering conversion to Christianity.

Double posts? Just delete one of them.
Well, I was bathed in Christianity for a short while, but some of the teachings and doctrines turned me off. For example, my pastor told me (and every child, in fact!) that when Adam and Eve sinned, their sin was passed on to all of us (first I wondered how sin could be passed on like blood ;) ). We are all born imperfect and flawed, and undeserving of Heaven. So how many generations later, Jesus died for my sins, and that to live forever, I would have to accept him as my Saviour. Now at first I thought that made no sense either, but now, I'm beginning to see it for what it really is.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Hello, Chibiusa! Welcome to RF. I hope you find what you're looking for here. I, for one, am curious about your "odd opinions." Why don't you share a few of them with us. I think you'll find us to be a rather eclectic group of people and pretty open-minded when it comes to beliefs that are different from our own.

Chibiusa

Seyorni said:
What is it, really? :confused:
It goes like this - or at least my opinion of it. When Adam and Eve sinned, they were kicked out of Eden, and God cursed all of creation, and children were all born imperfect later on. Now the sinner must be removed from God's holy presence (in Hell) because any sin is undeserving of God. So, God decided to send His Son, Jesus Christ, to die for Humanity's sins. Now Jesus was not being punished for our sins, He was suffering in our place, so we can look to him and understand the pain that He went through, so that we can repent and not need to suffer ourselves in Hell forever. Either way, Jesus is taking the burden of sin for a lot more people than most people would.

I was rather ignorant of many of the doctrines of Christianity, and for this reason, my church does not share the belief that all unbelievers will go to Hell.

Does this seem to make any sense? ;)

Booko

Deviled Hen
Chibiusa said:
Well, I was bathed in Christianity for a short while, but some of the teachings and doctrines turned me off. For example, my pastor told me (and every child, in fact!) that when Adam and Eve sinned, their sin was passed on to all of us (first I wondered how sin could be passed on like blood ;) ). We are all born imperfect and flawed, and undeserving of Heaven. So how many generations later, Jesus died for my sins, and that to live forever, I would have to accept him as my Saviour. Now at first I thought that made no sense either, but now, I'm beginning to see it for what it really is.

Welcome to RF!

You'll enjoy talking to the Christians here, I think. There is variety in Christian thought, and much of Christianityi never has believed what your pastor taught, but I'll leave it to the Christians here to go into those things with you. They speak for their own faiths much better than I could. :)

(P.S. If you want to delete one of your posts, click on that little button at the top of the post that says "edit" and you'll an option to delete.)

lizskid

BANNED
Welcome to RF. There are lots of viewpoints here and you will find yours accepted with respect....however odd you might think it is! This is a great place!

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Chibiusa said:
It goes like this - or at least my opinion of it. When Adam and Eve sinned, they were kicked out of Eden, and God cursed all of creation, and children were all born imperfect later on. Now the sinner must be removed from God's holy presence (in Hell) because any sin is undeserving of God. So, God decided to send His Son, Jesus Christ, to die for Humanity's sins. Now Jesus was not being punished for our sins, He was suffering in our place, so we can look to him and understand the pain that He went through, so that we can repent and not need to suffer ourselves in Hell forever. Either way, Jesus is taking the burden of sin for a lot more people than most people would.

I was rather ignorant of many of the doctrines of Christianity, and for this reason, my church does not share the belief that all unbelievers will go to Hell.

Hi Chibiusa,

Welcome to Religious Forum!

It does make sense indeed; I am not a "coventional Christian" myself;
my church does not share the belief that all unbelievers will go to Hell.
Don't worry, neither does mine.:)

I hope you get to like us, and if there is anything about the forum that doesn't make sense, just ask!

Chibiusa

michel said:
Hi Chibiusa,

Welcome to Religious Forum!

It does make sense indeed; I am not a "coventional Christian" myself;
I do not think that God would have damned people to Hell for lack of faith in Jesus. After all, I would think that His Judgement was far more complex than that.:eek:

Don't worry, neither does mine.:)
Great to hear that! :yes: I'm among those who believe that while Christ would have wanted to evangelize people, he would prefer that we dedicate our lives to preaching the Gospel and helping people in need.

I hope you get to like us, and if there is anything about the forum that doesn't make sense, just ask!
Thank you! :angel2:

One question I must ask is this: who is Retrorich? Is s/he a deceased board member?

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Chibiusa said:
One question I must ask is this: who is Retrorich? Is s/he a deceased board member?
Yes, Retrorich was a forum member up until a day or so before Christmas. He died very suddenly (but peacefully) leaving us all terribly shocked. The fact that we have set up a memorial to him shows how close we as forum members actually are to one another. It takes time, of course, but you will probably come to experience this closeness with some of the forum members, too.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Chibiusa said:

It's religious mythology, Chibiusa, not philosophy. Of course it makes no sense.

The fact that it is generally accepted by most of society does not increase its credibility in the least. Billions of people in other societies accept entirely different belief systems, why are they wrong and we right? It doesn't make the least difference how many people around us declare that 2+2=5, it is still wrong.

These doctrines of Adam and Eve, Heaven and Hell, original sin, &c are the peculiar beliefs of a particular cultural group at a particular time. Considered from the perspective of the entire history of our species, I doubt even 1% of humanity ever heard of them.

This doctrine of Jesus taking our sins upon himself, and accepting the terrible consequences thereof is simply an extension of the Hebrew tribal institution of the "scape-goat" [google]. It is perfectly understandable that an early Hebrew group might extend the goat-tribe relationship to a Saviour-mankind one. It's not much of a leap.
</IMG>

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
Namaste and welcome! Your avatar and username evoke my first anime-love! Do you enjoy the show/manga, too?

There's a link in my 'signature' for our newer users. Please let us know if you have any questions!

Chibiusa

Seyorni said:
It's religious mythology, Chibiusa, not philosophy. Of course it makes no sense.

The fact that it is generally accepted by most of society does not increase its credibility in the least. Billions of people in other societies accept entirely different belief systems, why are they wrong and we right? It doesn't make the least difference how many people around us declare that 2+2=5, it is still wrong.
That is true; however my question lies in whether or not the Bible is true?:)

These doctrines of Adam and Eve, Heaven and Hell, original sin, &c are the peculiar beliefs of a particular cultural group at a particular time. Considered from the perspective of the entire history of our species, I doubt even 1% of humanity ever heard of them.
1%? Are you certain about that?

This doctrine of Jesus taking our sins upon himself, and accepting the terrible consequences thereof is simply an extension of the Hebrew tribal institution of the "scape-goat" [google]. It is perfectly understandable that an early Hebrew group might extend the goat-tribe relationship to a Saviour-mankind one. It's not much of a leap.
</IMG>
Naturally, I'll disagree. ;)