• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Human Caused Climate Change - What the Scientific Consensus Truly Is

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
This thread will establish what is it that the majority of scientists truly think about climate change as recently some disinformation is floating on this topic in the forum. I will provide several studies to demonstrate that an overwhelming majority of the scientists believe both in the reality and in the seriousness of the human caused global warming and climate change.

First is the well known survey of the scientist members of the AAAS, the largest science body in the world and the publisher of the Science Journal. The Pew surveyed a wide strata of members in the AAAS with different levels of expertise in science:-
1713511215033.png

What are the results? Here is the detailed breakdown
1713511362662.png

Notice that 87% of all members and 90% of active scientists all believe that the current warming is caused by humans. Second 94% of all AAAS members and 96% of all active scientists believe that the current warming is either a very serious or a somewhat serious problem. With AAAS being the largest representative science body in the world, it clearly shows where the scientific consensus is right now.

Next, seperating the AAAS people by their current profession shows a very interesting point
1713511753899.png

91% of all AAAS members working as faculty in universities and colleges believe Climate Change is human caused. While only 78% of AAAS members who are employed in the private sector believe the same. This shows that the AAAS members most likely to be in touch with scientific research and independent of vested interests (researchers in universities) are also most likely to believe in the human caused climate change and its seriousness.

Thus it is clear that, even in 2015, the scientific consensus was overwhelmingly for the human caused climate change being real and being a serious problem.
Link
https://assets.pewresearch.org/wp-c...bers-Elaboration-7-16-15-FINAL-Appendix-A.pdf

More studies will be posted later.

Attachments

• 1713511540481.png
    1713511540481.png
    85.5 KB · Views: 7

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
A recent survey was done about global warming among the earth scientists. More than 2500 earth scientists working in various universities, govt labs and pvt research labs participated. The paper is linked below. The key highlights are:-
1) Among all geoscientists, 91% agreed that global warming is human caused.
2) The respondents who identified as experts in climatology, 96% agreed that global warming is human caused.
3) Among the climate scientist, those who were actively publishing research papers in climate science, 99% agreed that global warming is human caused.
4) The report showed that the least consensus (84%) was among people who were economic geoscientists. That those whose expertise is in economics and not on the physical sciences had the lowest consensus level.

Thus, once again we see that there is overwhelming consensus regarding human caused global warming among the experts in climate science, and the level of agreement increases as one's expertise in climate increases.
Article below,
Article Link

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
Great OP!

That said, I'd like to draw everyone's attention to the idea of "ecological overshoot", or just "overshoot" for convenience. Overshoot means that humans are living unsustainably on the planet. E.g., our farming practices are destroying essential topsoil that takes centuries to replenish. We are draining our fresh water aquifers at unsustainable rates. We are crowding out thousands of other species with no regard for their rights and with no deep understanding of how ecosystems might be damaged by these extinctions. And on and on.

Climate change is real, and it's serious. But it only one of many side effects of overshoot.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Great OP!

That said, I'd like to draw everyone's attention to the idea of "ecological overshoot", or just "overshoot" for convenience. Overshoot means that humans are living unsustainably on the planet. E.g., our farming practices are destroying essential topsoil that takes centuries to replenish. We are draining our fresh water aquifers at unsustainable rates. We are crowding out thousands of other species with no regard for their rights and with no deep understanding of how ecosystems might be damaged by these extinctions. And on and on.

Climate change is real, and it's serious. But it only one of many side effects of overshoot.
I agree.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Hah! Where does Lord Monckton fit in that list <ducks>

Seriously the one good thing that he did for me is to make it clear as to how all anti-AGW arguments have at least one fatal flaw. Though he did try to fail in more ways than anyone else. He was the last straw when I came to me arguing against AGW.