• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Human euthanasia moral?

Is euthanasia a moral option for humans?

• Yes, I believe so

Votes: 29 90.6%
  • No, not at all

Votes: 2 6.3%
  • Have no opinion/don't know

Votes: 1 3.1%

• Total voters

Aqualung

Tasty
It's similar to other legal fields. For instance, at least in some places, a couple's pre-nuptial agreement isn't valid unless both spouses get independent legal representation.
Well, we could have a whole nother debate on situations like that, too, but the most important thing to remember is that one abuse of the law should not open up the door for all other similar-situation abuses.

Aqualung

Tasty
If some still want to continue with the suicide/assisted suicide conversation (which is NOT euthanasia) perhaps a seperate thread may be in order. Because to continue to discuss suicide and assisted suicide in a thread about euthanasia may give some the impression that that is what euthanasia is. That simply isn't so.

What's the difference? Euthanasia, per the dictionary, is the act of putting to death painlessly or allowing to die, as by withholding extreme medical measures, a person or animal suffering from an incurable, esp. a painful, disease or condition.

I think I'm talking about that, but if you don't, perhaps you would be so kind as to detail the distinction as you see it so that I can keep my posts on topic?

Perhaps your discussion is about involuntary euthanasia?

Ciscokid

So, how about it? Is euthanasia for humans moral? Do you personally find it to be something completely moral or completely immoral? Right or wrong?

Yep, people should have a right to pull the plug if they wish. Especially those in severe pain due to a deadly illness.

Draka

Wonder Woman
What's the difference? Euthanasia, per the dictionary, is the act of putting to death painlessly or allowing to die, as by withholding extreme medical measures, a person or animal suffering from an incurable, esp. a painful, disease or condition.

I think I'm talking about that, but if you don't, perhaps you would be so kind as to detail the distinction as you see it so that I can keep my posts on topic?

Perhaps your discussion is about involuntary euthanasia?

Things that have been mentioned here have been along the lines of "mental illness" which, for all means and purposes, could be anything from depression to bi-polar disorder. These are not terminal or extremely degenerative things. While, perhaps, someone in those situations may have a severe enough case that they may consider suicide, it is still different from euthanasia.

Aqualung

Tasty
Things that have been mentioned here have been along the lines of "mental illness" which, for all means and purposes, could be anything from depression to bi-polar disorder. These are not terminal or extremely degenerative things. While, perhaps, someone in those situations may have a severe enough case that they may consider suicide, it is still different from euthanasia.

So you take euthanasia to be only be "euthanasia" in the case of a terminal physical illness?

Draka

Wonder Woman
So you take euthanasia to be only be "euthanasia" in the case of a terminal physical illness?

I think the only thing that may qualify as mental...and physical really, that I would put down as a possible euthanasia cause would be severe Alzheimer's. Where the brain is so degenerated that cognitive thought is gone and it does take a toll on the body as well. I've seen the degeneration of a person with extremely advanced Alzheimer's and it is most definitely suffering and painful in more ways than one. And there is no therapy or little pill that can help that...it is an "until death" thing. I just don't see depression or bi-polar, or even "upset over a diagnosis" as a euthanasia case. They are mental treatment and therapy cases. There is hope for them and therefore death consideration is consideration of suicide. Where there is absolutely no hope of recovery, only a downward slide into oblivion as a future, then it is a case for euthanasia.

Nessa Nenharma

Goddess of my Domain
If I was asked to do this for a family member BY that family member to end their pain and suffering I would certainly want to be the one to take away the pain.

My grat=aunt died (this morning actually) at the age of 72. She was on a life support system due to the fact that she had one lung and contracted pneumonia. She progressivly got worse until she asked to be taken off of the very system that was keeping her alive. She ended up lasting a day, through much pain. IMO I don't think that was very humane at all. She was coughing up blood, could barely breathe, and was pumped full of morphine to the point where she couldn't even remember people's names. At one point she asked for it to end, and did anyone rush to her aid? NOPE. She had to endure for an entire day before she finally slipped away.

So, do I think euthanasia is moral? Damn straight it is moral, humane, and ethically justifiable to take someones pain away.

Just my opinion (sorry for the rant, and the cursing :) )

:bb:

Nessa

Draka

Wonder Woman
If I was asked to do this for a family member BY that family member to end their pain and suffering I would certainly want to be the one to take away the pain.

My grat=aunt died (this morning actually) at the age of 72. She was on a life support system due to the fact that she had one lung and contracted pneumonia. She progressivly got worse until she asked to be taken off of the very system that was keeping her alive. She ended up lasting a day, through much pain. IMO I don't think that was very humane at all. She was coughing up blood, could barely breathe, and was pumped full of morphine to the point where she couldn't even remember people's names. At one point she asked for it to end, and did anyone rush to her aid? NOPE. She had to endure for an entire day before she finally slipped away.

So, do I think euthanasia is moral? Damn straight it is moral, humane, and ethically justifiable to take someones pain away.

Just my opinion (sorry for the rant, and the cursing :) )

:bb:

Nessa

Sorry about losing your great aunt and the pain she went through. At the very least we can say she is no longer in that pain, though that doesn't excuse that she had to go through it. If they were going to give her that much morphine it would have been a kindness to turn the drip up to a point of causing complete lack of consciousness and let her slip away peacefully. Blessings to your family in their time of grief and to your aunt along her journey.

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
I voted moral..I hope when my time comes and this is the only option to stop the suffering and my death is immenant..that someone will have the heart and the bravery to do this last act of kindness for me...

Love

Dallas