• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hundreds of Shia Muslims mark Ashura in Leicester

Shia Islam

Quran and Ahlul-Bayt a.s.
Premium Member
Hundreds of Shia Muslims mark Ashura in Leicester

About 400 Shia Muslims have attended an event in the centre of Leicester to mark an international day of mourning.

_57113574_capture.jpg

The Day of Ashura, which takes place on Tuesday, is the climax of a period of remembrance for Hussein, the grandson of the Prophet Muhammad.

The assembly in Humberstone Gate saw people dressed in black to recite eulogies and listen to speeches.

Hussein was killed in Karbala, in what is now called Iraq, 1,300 years ago after standing up to a corrupt ruler.

Sunday's event was organised by community group MKSI Leicester and was attended by people from Leicester's Khoja, Afghani and Pakistani Shia Muslim communities.

Loughborough University student Mohamed Ali Muraj, who gave a speech at the assembly, said the event carried a timeless message.

He said: "Imam Hussein was a man who stood up for truth against the tyrant of his time and for that he had to pay a great cost.

"The message we are portraying today isn't just confined to Shia Islam but is a universal message throughout humanity."

BBC News - Hundreds of Shia Muslims mark Ashura in Leicester

Shia Islam

Premium Member
I pray that we learn from Hussein (RA) how to stand up for righteousness no matter what is the cost...

Whoso bringeth a good deed will have better than its worth; and such are safe from fear that Day.

من جاء بالحسنة فله خير منها وهم من فزع يومئذ امنون
سورة 27 - آية 89

May you have better than its worth ... :)

alar

well good ashura as e sunni muslim i say we all love the family of the profet

but i just have e question why shia celebrate it in e very bloody way ??

A-ManESL

I dont think you should say "celebrate". Rather your question should be: Why shia "mourn" it in a very bloody way?

I think only some do that (youth with little knowledge who get carried away) and the majority does not.

Shia Islam

Premium Member
I dont think you should say "celebrate". Rather your question should be: Why shia "mourn" it in a very bloody way?

I think only some do that (youth with little knowledge who get carried away) and the majority does not.

I am considering answering this question that has been raised before.
answering this question properly requires explaining the methodology of deciding on the Islamic laws according to the teachings of Ahlul-Bayt.

By the way. I did not reply to @alar because of this:

http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/comparative-religion/125124-non-muslim-what-do-you-know.html

ConfusedKuri

I think the word "commemorate" is more appropriate than "celebrate". I will agree some Shiites primarily focus on self-mutilation, instead of remembering the spiritual significance of the sacrifice of Imam Hussein(AS).

Last edited: