• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hymn of the Pearl

gnostic

The Lost One
Of all the parables in the Christian texts, my personal favorite is not found in the Bible. It is called the Hymn of the Pearl. :)

This is actually part of The Acts of Thomas. Although, The Acts of Thomas is of the New Testament Apocrypha and it is not found among the Gnostic Nag Hammadi texts, nevertheless I find that there are full of Gnostic meanings in this Hymn.

If we are believed the tradition that Thomas was in India, the whole text (Acts) was written, particularly the Hymn, was written while he was in prison.

I believed it is beautiful writing of being led astray, of reunion and redemption.

Strangely enough, it reminds me of the situation of Sophia in the Secret Book of John, where she became trapped and isolated in the chaos or void and she was stripped of her power by Ialdabaoth, but she was able to return the One.

The story also reminds me of The Prodigal Son parable (Luke 15:11-32). Or the saying in the Gospel of Thomas:
Gospel of Thomas 107 said:
Jesus said, "The (Father's) kingdom is like a shepherd who had a hundred sheep. One of them, the largest, went astray. He left the ninety-nine and looked for the one until he found it. After he had toiled, he said to the sheep, 'I love you more than the ninety-nine.'"
What are your thought and interpretation of the Hymn? All comments are welcome.

Halcyon

Lord of the Badgers
I have to admit, its not one of my favourites :(

Some scholars believe that the Hymn is in fact an earlier Chrisitan hymn that was mearly incorporated into the Acts of Thomas, rather than being a part of the Acts themselves.

You've pretty much got the interpretation spot on, it is similar to the Sophia myth.

The divine spark is lost in the world, here represented as a pearl. As a way of bringing the spark back to the pleroma, mankind is given gnosis. The realisation that is gnosis frees the spark.
But people, represented by the boy, are blinded by ignorance and forget gnosis. Jesus Christ (represented by the letter) is sent to the world to give people back gnosis. Thus the boy grabs the pearl and returns.

gnostic

The Lost One
Sorry, but my assignments were due. :sorry1: So I haven't had much time to look at the topic I had started.

Halcyon said:
The divine spark is lost in the world, here represented as a pearl.
That's what I thought too, when I first read the Hymn and some Gnostic texts, and thought there was some gnostic symbolism in this text.

Can I ask you a question, H?

When the Prince had finally managed to recognise who he was, he left Egypt. On his road back to the East, he encountered a female being.

Immediately, I went straight to the road leading to the light of our Eastern home. And while on the road I found a female being, who lifted me up. So she got me up from sleep, giving as it were an oracle by her voice, with which she guided me to the light;
Who do you think this "she" is?

I haven't read much into it *shrugs*
That's ok. Keep us happy with your cartwheel, Button.
Then, how did you see it? I'd still like your view on it, whether they be good or bad.

Halcyon

Lord of the Badgers
gnostic said:
Can I ask you a question, H?
Anytime my friend. :)

gnostic said:
When the Prince had finally managed to recognise who he was, he left Egypt. On his road back to the East, he encountered a female being.

Who do you think this "she" is?
I can only give my opinion, but i think she is Truth.

Buttons*

Glass half Panda'd
gnostic said:
That's ok. Keep us happy with your cartwheel, Button.
Then, how did you see it? I'd still like your view on it, whether they be good or bad.
*does more cartwheels*

Really and truly, you and Hal covered it. I dont like the poem that much, I dont get the feelings I do that make me think this text is even worthwhile. Because it's an allegory upon an allegory (and I'm even willing to say that it's upon yet another allegory) ... It's a fairly pointless text. Cute story though. :)

Syzygy

I like the Hymn. It's a beautiful piece of work; it's poetic. When reading it, it reminds me of the Song of Solomon a bit. But, yeah, definite Gnostic interpretations in there. The 'pearl' being the SPARK, the soul of the world otherwise known as animus mundi, lost to the darkness of materalism and mortality. The letter, which I'm guessing is symbolic of the whole 'Word of God/Logos' thing, is the Christ aeon sent from above to reawaken the lost Prince who has sent to find the world's soul and return it to the heavens.

Here's something: could the Prince, as it were, be the physical body? and the pearl, be the Prince's soul? I'm not sure if some Gnostic sects ever believed in the literal resurrection of the flesh, I don't think they did, so if a knowledgeable one could fill this in, thanks a bunch. But, according to wikipedia, whom I love and worship, resurrection in religious terms seems to be the reunification of the soul and the body, returning the person to life.

What do you guys think?

Halcyon

Lord of the Badgers
Syzygy said:
Here's something: could the Prince, as it were, be the physical body? and the pearl, be the Prince's soul? I'm not sure if some Gnostic sects ever believed in the literal resurrection of the flesh, I don't think they did, so if a knowledgeable one could fill this in, thanks a bunch. But, according to wikipedia, whom I love and worship, resurrection in religious terms seems to be the reunification of the soul and the body, returning the person to life.

What do you guys think?
I believe that is kinda right, i see it more that the Prince represents the unenlightened person and the pearl is his spirit.

Various Gnostic sects believed in different things, some believed in a physical resurrection, the majority believed in the resurrection of the Christ but not the body, some saw the whole thing as an allegory for being born again after finding Gnosis.

Syzygy

Halcyon said:
I believe that is kinda right, i see it more that the Prince represents the unenlightened person and the pearl is his spirit.

Various Gnostic sects believed in different things, some believed in a physical resurrection, the majority believed in the resurrection of the Christ but not the body, some saw the whole thing as an allegory for being born again after finding Gnosis.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. There's so many ways of interpreting Gnostic texts; it's one of the things I really like about them.