• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I am an Atheist, technically speaking.

Warren Clark

Informer
I am, when stripped to my core foundations of complete belief (or lack there of), an Atheist.

However, I do consider myself a pagan.
As I recognize at the base of my heritage my ancestors were curious of their surroundings. As they observed everything that brought life and death they recognized the power the universe held. Even without knowing the infinite expansion as we know it today, they were the first explorers into a new era of knowledge.
So as I recognize that my ancestors were pagan, I feel that I am too.

As my ancestors split up many years ago and created a colorful selection of belief systems I feel as though part of me is connected with everyone and that we are all one in the same created equal and birthed humbly in the nude.

I believe that the universe as a collection of energy manifested in different entities. We are all a manifestation of this energy along with the planets and stars. I am a pantheist.

As a pantheist I rely on science and reason for understanding better the things around me. I can share my curiosity with like minded (and some times unalike) people like yourselves.
I am an Atheist. As an individual I feel bound by reason like the energy in me is bound by the bond of electrons and protons within me that I have no true awareness of.
I am proud to be human. To be given this gift of consciousness is like winning the lottery.
After coming through a long road of pain and anguish, laughter and excitement, I am happy where I have ended up. I am most of all curious to see where I will go.

Sometimes I have trouble deciding whether I am more pantheist or atheist... as I do not believe in a god, I do believe that the universe is connected by an energy that flows through us all. I also sometime think that I may be Satanist, as I know they do not worship or may not even believe that deities exists. They believe that as a human being they hold the power to anything they desire. I recognize this power. I know I can achieve anything I will. I could end my own life, and that itself is unlimited power. So in this I might also be a Satanist.

Technically speaking, I am happy to be a "free thinking" Atheist.
There is nothing holding me back. I have a universe to discover and a lifetime to explore it.

Last edited:

ArcNinja

A good read. I'm proud of you! :) I don't know much about pantheism or paganism, but it sounds very interesting.

horizon_mj1

If your proclamation is True, then the acceptance of Energy being a constant (it does not die, but only alters form) is acceptable. Meaning that beyond here is an absolute there in which decisions in which you make will determine what you will be (after death)?

Me Myself

Back to my username
I amot sure I am unrstanding your "atheism" , did you basically said you are an aeist because you are bound to reason? Do you meant that like in a "bound by the reason of knowing there are no gods" or something kinda reason?

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum
Sometimes I have trouble deciding whether I am more pantheist or atheist... as I do not believe in a god, I do believe that the universe is connected by an energy that flows through us all.
I'm with you Warren.

Regarding the sentence above, the way I connected atheism with pantheism was through the concept of naturalistic pantheism (or panentheism in my case). Look into Spinoza's God as one example. Basically, it's a recognition that science finds truths in the world, yet we can recognize the mystery of the "sense of being" that isn't just simply explained with scientific terms. Art, feelings, music, taste, so many things that are true by just being so. It can all come together without giving up one or the other.

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
I am, when stripped to my core foundations of complete belief (or lack there of), an Atheist.

As I recognize at the base of my heritage my ancestors were curious of their surroundings. As they observed everything that brought life and death they recognized the power the universe held. Even without knowing the infinite expansion as we know it today, they were the first explorers into a new era of knowledge.

As my ancestors split up many years ago and created a colorful selection of belief systems I feel as though part of me is connected with everyone and that we are all one in the same created equal and birthed humbly in the nude.

I believe that the universe as a collection of energy manifested in different entities. We are all a manifestation of this energy along with the planets and stars. I am a pantheist.

As a pantheist I rely on science and reason for understanding better the things around me. I can share my curiosity with like minded (and some times unalike) people like yourselves.
I am an Atheist. As an individual I feel bound by reason like the energy in me is bound by the bond of electrons and protons within me that I have no true awareness of.
I am proud to be human. To be given this gift of consciousness is like winning the lottery.
After coming through a long road of pain and anguish, laughter and excitement, I am happy where I have ended up. I am most of all curious to see where I will go.

Sometimes I have trouble deciding whether I am more pantheist or atheist... as I do not believe in a god, I do believe that the universe is connected by an energy that flows through us all. I also sometime think that I may be Satanist, as I know they do not worship or may not even believe that deities exists. They believe that as a human being they hold the power to anything they desire. I recognize this power. I know I can achieve anything I will. I could end my own life, and that itself is unlimited power. So in this I might also be a Satanist.

Technically speaking, I am happy to be a "free thinking" Atheist.
There is nothing holding me back. I have a universe to discover and a lifetime to explore it.

That's not how you define atheist. It's like saying, "Take away my hair and I'm bald"

But all in all, very nice.

Warren Clark

Informer
If your proclamation is True, then the acceptance of Energy being a constant (it does not die, but only alters form) is acceptable. Meaning that beyond here is an absolute there in which decisions in which you make will determine what you will be (after death)?

I don't know anything about the afterlife.
I don't really hold any superstitious beliefs to it either.
I think and believe that like the rest of our body our brains shut down.
Just as we are not conscious when we are knocked out or put under, we lose consciousness when our brain shuts down.
With that said, I doubt that we will be able to experience death.
Just as before we were born we had no consciousness, after life, death will return us to nothing but the particles we were formed of.
Our bodies will be naturally recycled and the particles that made us will be put to later use.

Warren Clark

Informer
I amot sure I am unrstanding your "atheism" , did you basically said you are an aeist because you are bound to reason? Do you meant that like in a "bound by the reason of knowing there are no gods" or something kinda reason?

I am naturally bound by reason. It is how I came to the conclusion that I am an atheist.
I do not believe in a god. That is the only thing that makes me an atheist.

Warren Clark

Informer
I understand; but what is the point of "technically"?

I think you missed the point somewhere in the OP but its about how I share some similar beliefs of certain religions/philosophies. But when it comes down to it I don't believe in a god, so I am technically an Atheist.

Sir Doom

Cooler than most of you
Why? What would've convinced me it was that?

Well, if the fact that you are reasonable is what leads to your atheism...

I've just presented you a reasonable way to consider god without eliminating it.

So, either reason ought to convince you that god might exist after all or reason had nothing to do with your atheism.

Warren Clark

Informer
Well, if the fact that you are reasonable is what leads to your atheism...

I've just presented you a reasonable way to consider god without eliminating it.

So, either reason ought to convince you that god might exist after all or reason had nothing to do with your atheism.

But god isn't reasonable if he is omniscient, omnipotent, all merciful and loving yet lets children get raped, molested and killed by sickos.

If he was just, children would not be harmed.

There is no reason to believe in reasonable god.

Orias

Left Hand Path
Logically speaking, there is no reason to assume anything. Everything that is, simply is...

Sir Doom

Cooler than most of you
But god isn't reasonable if he is omniscient, omnipotent, all merciful and loving yet lets children get raped, molested and killed by sickos.

If he was just, children would not be harmed.

And luckily IF is a nifty operator. Please explain why you are adding these unreasonable traits to god? You are bound by nothing at all to do so.

Essentially, you are assuming the vast majority of humans are correct about the traits that god must have, and you are doing so to ensure that you are right about gods being unreasonable.

All you really have to do is stop thinking that god fits into the box given by your fellow humans and start thinking that god must fit into the box of reason instead. Then you'll have a reasonable god that you CAN believe in instead of this ridiculous version that no one will ever discover, explain or realize.

There is no reason to believe in reasonable god.

As opposed to the unreasonable version you just presented?

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't know anything about the afterlife.
I don't really hold any superstitious beliefs to it either.
I think and believe that like the rest of our body our brains shut down.
Just as we are not conscious when we are knocked out or put under, we lose consciousness when our brain shuts down.
With that said, I doubt that we will be able to experience death.
Just as before we were born we had no consciousness, after life, death will return us to nothing but the particles we were formed of.
Our bodies will be naturally recycled and the particles that made us will be put to later use.

Sounds to me like you're talking about the first law of thermodynamics. You sound like an atheist to me...

*shrugs*

IN any case, I found what you wrote interesting. Thanks for sharing.

maninthewilderness

optimistic skeptic
So you don't believe in a god, or gods, then yes, you are an atheist.

Do you believe in pagan gods?
If so, then you do believe in a god or gods and you are definitely not an atheist.

If your ancestors were slave owners would that make you a slave owner?

If your ancestors were cannibals would that make you a cannibal?

We are all a manifestation of this energy along with the planets and stars. I am a pantheist.
Do you think that every manifestation of energy is a god?
If so, then you do believe in a god or gods and so you're definitely not an atheist.

Sometimes I have trouble deciding whether I am more pantheist or atheist... as I do not believe in a god, I do believe that the universe is connected by an energy that flows through us all.
Atheist means no god.
Pantheists means more than one god.
These terms are mutually exclusive on one another.

I also sometime think that I may be Satanist,....
Satan is a creation of the Judo-Christian faith.
If you believe in Satan than you must believe in God.
And if that is the case then you are definitely not an atheist.
Nor would you be a pagan as Satan is not a pagan construct (although the Jews and Christians may have based their Satan on pagan gods).