• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I am horrifed!

I am horrified by the video games our kids are playing. There is even a game where players mutilate their victims. This is sick! I wish we can bring back our obscenity laws to stop trash like this from entering our homes. What can we do to bring back morality to the entertainment industry?

Note: This is satire.

Last edited:

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member
It's My Birthday!
Minors can't buy M-rated video games without an adult's consent. So, you do nothing. If you don't want your kids playing violent video games, then don't let them/don't buy them. I've been playing games like GTA and Manhunt since well before I was 18 and it didn't screw me up.

Parsimony

Parents can keep it from entering their homes by being parents. If they don't want it there, they should keep tabs on what their children play.

There's games where My Little Pony gets points for making friends.
There was going to be a fan-game where the ponies fight each other too, but Hasbro pulled the plug on it (grr...).

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I am horrified by the video games our kids are playing. There is even a game where players mutilate their victims. This is sick! I wish we can bring back our obscenity laws to stop trash like this from entering our homes. What can we do to bring back morality to the entertainment industry?

Kill all them violent immoral people. Kill 'em all with fire and extreme finality.

That'll teach 'em bunch of weirdos not to contaminate our lives with their filth, that it will.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
My generation takes the cake: Mortal Kombat first came out when we were kids! GTA and Manhunt have nothing on that, especially with Ultimate MK 3, with the end choose your fate sequence that seems to be a two hour long video of all the fatalities and brutalities. And with Mortal Kombat, it was by no means an easy task to let loose your inner psychopath.
And there is always Metal Gear Solid, in which killing lowers your score. I always liked throwing that one out there for the anti-violent game crowd.

Haryaksha

There are definitely more violent video games out these days, but I really don't see it as a problem. I myself preferred sports games like Madden when growing up more than shooting/war games, but many of my friends played such games and it didn't seem to have any effect on their life outside of the game.

I think the vast majority of people understand that they're just video games, and playing them doesn't make them more violent or aggressive or anything in everyday life. I've heard of studies that show the opposite, but I'm just going by my personal experience.

Of course, there are some psychopaths and serial killers who were influenced by violent video games, but they are a tiny minority.

If anything, I'm more concerned about people becoming too obsessed with video games to the point of becoming apathetic to issues of the real world. But again, that is not an issue for the majority of people who play video games.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member

I don't like violence on TV, in games, etc. Not because it is against my religion, but because I find it terribly distasteful. I believe in freedom of speech and all that, however.

Besides, for every violent movie, there is some nice Disney film in its place so we have a choice for our kids. ;)

I play Final Fantasy games, which are violent (yet not very graphic), so I don't say anything about those. Auto-Theft, I wouldn't let my son play it until he turned 18, as soon as he turned 18, he went out and bought it. He got bored of it very quickly.

Shadow Wolf

Besides, for every violent movie, there is some nice Disney film in its place so we have a choice for our kids. ;)
Disney is starting to get pretty violent and graphic themselves. I was very surprised at how violent the Lone Ranger movie was, and not only did it have infinitely more violence than Disney movies did when I was a kid, it also showed it, like the guy who met a watery grave at the end or the scene when the gatling guns opened fire on the natives. It reminded me alot of the scene from The Last Samurai when the Japanese army opened fire with gatling guns on the Samurai army.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
Disney is starting to get pretty violent and graphic themselves. I was very surprised at how violent the Lone Ranger movie was, and not only did it have infinitely more violence than Disney movies did when I was a kid, it also showed it, like the guy who met a watery grave at the end or the scene when the gatling guns opened fire on the natives. It reminded me alot of the scene from The Last Samurai when the Japanese army opened fire with gatling guns on the Samurai army.

Yep, true. Violence sells. It is all about making a buck.

samosasauce

Violent video games make me nauseous... I don't know what to say. Violent video games are awful to see and according to an online psychology class I have taken make people insensitive to violent (but not violent themselves). I don't know.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
After Mortal Kombat was released into the hands of children, playgrounds became littered with spines and hearts ripped out by bare hands, and with heads decapitated by bare fists.

Shadow Wolf

Violent video games make me nauseous... I don't know what to say. Violent video games are awful to see and according to an online psychology class I have taken make people insensitive to violent (but not violent themselves). I don't know.
If you look into these studies, it can be as absurd as someone playing a violent video game, having someone (who they are told has stomach ulcers) mouth off to them, and them the gamer gets to choose if they feed them a spicy snack or non-spicy snack. Such are some of the studies that show violent video games make people violent. Never mind the fact Japan has traditionally made most of our video games and has a low rate of violence, Canada plays many of the same games with less violence, and Europe even gets some of the same stuff and doesn't have the violence that America has.
If people who play video games become insensitive to violence itself, meaning they cannot distinguish a computer graphic having being beaten into a bloody pulp and exploding in a shower of gore and a real person suffering real pain from real violence, then that person should probably not be playing video games.

After Mortal Kombat was released into the hands of children, playgrounds became littered with spines and hearts ripped out by bare hands, and with heads decapitated by bare fists.
Mortal Kombat and Power Rangers, the scourge of those in mid-to-late childhood during the early-to-mid 90's. The school playground was covered with kids pretending to be martial artists who littered the ground with the blood and bones of their fallen enemies. Or at least that's how I remember "concerned parents" painting the picture of the typical playground during this time. Though we did actually play Power Rangers, punches and kicks were very slow, very weak, and so far from hitting each other it's more of a hindrance to the imagination of kids who are going to put imaginary rings all over the playground and play Sonic when they got bored of Power Rangers.

Well, as long as no nipples are exposed, what harm could come of it?:rolleyes:
Had people not made such a fuss about it, I would never had known about Janet Jackson's alleged "wardrobe malfuntion" at whatever super bowl it happened at.

Aquitaine

My generation takes the cake: Mortal Kombat first came out when we were kids! GTA and Manhunt have nothing on that, especially with Ultimate MK 3, with the end choose your fate sequence that seems to be a two hour long video of all the fatalities and brutalities. And with Mortal Kombat, it was by no means an easy task to let loose your inner psychopath.
And there is always Metal Gear Solid, in which killing lowers your score. I always liked throwing that one out there for the anti-violent game crowd.

I remember the same anti-kill strategy was used in Thief: The Dark Project and Thief 2: The Metal Age. To the point where killing *anything* was an instant game-over.

A big emphasis given was "Remember - you're a thief, not a murderer". :)