• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I am practically indistinguishable from god.

Skwim

Veteran Member
Genesis 1:27 (NIV)
So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them.

If true, then man must closely resemble god. Very closely.

If we make anything so as to closely resemble something else, typically the two are pretty much indistinguishable. So evidently we and god are pretty much indistinguishable.

Anyone care to start enumerating all these various similarities, because I don't see nearly that many.

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
Before anyone says it, claiming we have free will and a soul doesn't qualify as "in God's image" anymore than you are in the image of your cheeseburger because you both are made of atoms.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
I believe fully that humans is inherently divine, "in God's image."

What, exactly, that means is going to vary from philosophy to philosophy. As a Hindu, my interpretation is necessarily going to be different from the Jewish and Christians interpretations.

outhouse

Atheistically
So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them.

If we make anything so as to closely resemble something else, typically the two are pretty much indistinguishable. So evidently we and god are pretty much indistinguishable.

Anyone care to start enumerating all these various similarities, because I don't see nearly that many.

there are pictures that the ancients drew in 800 BC of Yahweh, asherah, and possibly Baal. They all have been depicted as identical to us, including genitles.

It looks like Baal has a few female traits as well

idav

Being
Premium Member

Then how is it that humans are distinguishable from one another.

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist

Not really. It would only mean that humans appear to resemble God. If we take this literally, then God would be both male and female, or possibly neither. There is also then the fact that humans look quite differently anyway.

It also doesn't state that humans are created to look indistinguishable from God. Just in the image. This could be a realistic image, a metaphoircal image, an idealized image, etc.

Also, this would only deal with image, and nothing more. It doesn't mean that we are like God in any other way, just image wise.

And really, to take this verse literally simply is wrong anyway.

F0uad

Well there are verses that say that God isn't anything like on the earth, seas or heavens and that God isn't man so if you would interpret it that way it would only be confused message.

I think we got some of the atributes of God in ourselfs for example we can be mercifull, we can judge and so forth.

Skwim

Veteran Member
savagewind said:
Is God and human kind inclined to accomplish something?
At the very least I think most of humankind is trying to simply survive until old age. What god is trying to accomplish is anyone's guess.

Then how is it that humans are distinguishable from one another.
Not saying that god and man can't be distinguished from each other, only that ". . . man must closely resemble god."

fallingblood said:
Not really. It would only mean that humans appear to resemble God. If we take this literally, then God would be both male and female, or possibly neither. There is also then the fact that humans look quite differently anyway.
I understand; take literally those things that coincide with one's beliefs and tag all others as allegory, myth, parable, folklore, or . . . .

It also doesn't state that humans are created to look indistinguishable from God.
No it doesn't, so why bring it up?

Just in the image. This could be a realistic image, a metaphoircal image, an idealized image, etc.
But the word isn't qualified, is it, which would be as god wanted it (the Bible being his inspired word and all---can't imaging god letting his scribes misquote his intention.) So I wouldn't think second guessing him is all that proper. Would you?

Also, this would only deal with image, and nothing more. It doesn't mean that we are like God in any other way, just image wise.
So you're now saying that "image" shouldn't be taken metaphorically, or ideally. But what, that god has a penis, scrotum, nipples, a belly button . . . . . . and a vagina?

And really, to take this verse literally simply is wrong anyway.
And after just having told us that we resemble god "just image wise." :facepalm: Kind of want (need) it both ways don't you. As I said: [you want to] take literally those things that coincide with one's beliefs and tag all others as allegory, myth, parable, folklore, or . . . . Pretty convenient, but hardy honest.

F0uad said:
Well there are verses that say that God isn't anything like on the earth, seas or heavens and that God isn't man so if you would interpret it that way it would only be confused message.
Like too much in the Bible: contradictory.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Most people are trying to survive intact till old age. I agree. But the people who matter, the ones making a difference surely have some things they want to accomplish. Some things to be accomplished are bad, some are good. It is my opinion that God wants to accomplish peace. Some people believe he is coming with presents. Presents for good people. That would be someone else I think.

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
I understand; take literally those things that coincide with one's beliefs and tag all others as allegory, myth, parable, folklore, or . . . .
Not at all. I really don't see how you got this from what I said. If one wants to take the Bible seriously, whether it is in the form of critiquing it or studying it, one needs to understand the various forms of genre, and literary techniques that are employed. To simply take only literally what coincides with one's beliefs is ridiculous, and a disservice. It is also very disrespectful, which is why I don't indulge in doing such.

This story is clearly not meant to be literal. It is written in a mythological creation story. It conforms to the genre of myth, which should tell us that the intention of the story then is to relate a "truth."
No it doesn't, so why bring it up?
Because you implied that was the case. By saying that you are practically indistinguishable from God, I thought it was worth bringing up that that is not what the verse is actually saying.
But the word isn't qualified, is it, which would be as god wanted it (the Bible being his inspired word and all---can't imaging god letting his scribes misquote his intention.) So I wouldn't think second guessing him is all that proper. Would you?
That's not how I view the Bible. Sure, the Bible may be the word of God, or inspired by God, but it was written by men. More so, we don't have the original manuscripts anyway, so even if the Bible was truly guided by the hand of God, it really means nothing as any length of comparing manuscripts will clearly show that there are dozens of scribal mistakes.

Also, there has been a long tradition, starting back with the early Hebrews, of interpreting and trying to explain what the Bible was saying (or what individual books are trying to relate). In Judaism, this is called the Oral Torah. There are also a variety of commentaries from ancient times as well. To me, if God did have a hand in writing the Bible, then I would also assume God wanted people to also discuss it.

So, I don't see this as second guessing. I see it as standing in a long line of individuals who look at the Bible and interpret it in a manner that is founded on a massive amount of research and study in order to get to the actual meaning so that it can be better understood.
So you're now saying that "image" shouldn't be taken metaphorically, or ideally. But what, that god has a penis, scrotum, nipples, a belly button . . . . . . and a vagina?
I may not have been clear here. I don't take the verse literally. My previous response was working with both taking the verse literally, as it appeared that is what you were doing in the OP. Because of that, I discussed what a literal reading actually said. If taken literally, it would only apply to image, and nothing else. This also means that the image of God is not clear anyway as there is quite a bit of diversity in humans, which would mean that whatever God actually looked like, it would not be what humans look like.

I then followed by saying that taking this verse literally simply is incorrect. It wasn't meant to be literal, but instead, to imply a truth. That truth can be debated.
And after just having told us that we resemble god "just image wise." :facepalm: Kind of want (need) it both ways don't you. As I said: [you want to] take literally those things that coincide with one's beliefs and tag all others as allegory, myth, parable, folklore, or . . . . Pretty convenient, but hardy honest.
I think you just misunderstood me. I could have just came in here and said that your view of this verse simply is wrong as you are taking it literally, and leave it at that. However, I think such a brief comment is useless. So instead, I addressed the verse by first taking it in a literal fashion, and discerning what it was actually saying. I then followed up and said that taking it in a literal fashion is wrong. The two should go hand in hand, as a literal reading should show, by the impossibility of taking this verse 100% literally (because by taking it literal, it says pretty much nothing) that it is not meant to be literal.

So I'm not taking any of this literal, nor do I take only the portions literal that support my view point. But when you open a thread that is taking a verse literally, it seems logical to entertain that idea for the sake of argument.
Like too much in the Bible: contradictory.
What I said wasn't contradictory. Also, just because there are contradictions in the Bible really means nothing. In nearly any collection of books, you will see contradictions or disagreements. That is simply the nature of literature, especially theology. People see things differently. That doesn't mean that what they are seeing is wrong.

tempter

The term "playing God" is a good one to use here. It seems the more we learn about things that were attributed to this god, the less we need that god.
This is one reason why many believers don't want things like stem cell research and cloning to be worked on as it will replace their need for a jealous, all controlling deity to worship.

Awoon

Man is a Chip off the old block.

Vultar

... and in the "Planet of the Apes" god made apes in his own image...
and if you could understand Dolphin, Dolphins would be created in gods image.... :D

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN

Well looking at the verse, on the most basic level I would say it means male and female as the Gods are.

Gen. 1:26, 27

26, "Let us make man in our image, after our likeness. Let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, the birds of the air, and the cattle, and over all the wild animals and all the creatures that crawl on the ground."

Gen 27 tells us the image of the Elohiym is MALE and FEMALE. We are talking the original God and Goddess.

27, And Elohiym/God & Goddess created humankind in THEIR image, In the image of Elohiym/God & Goddess created THEY them; MALE and FEMALE created they them.

Something else that I found interesting in Gen. 27:

The word they have translated as “HIM,” is 846 ushsharna, which means tall and straight, or upright.

It is from 833 asher, remember those Sacred Groves of the Goddess with their tall straight trees, and Her tall straight image?

833 sends us to 842 Asherah/Ashtoreth, the Hebrew Goddess and consort of El!

Also the word translated as “He” is 1931 huw/hiy means they, he, she, herself, who, which, etc.

Obviously since they used the plural Elohiym, they, whom, or which, would be more accurate!

The male and female are in THEIR ELOHIYM image = male and female.

Shermana

Heretic
Well looking at the verse, on the most basic level I would say it means male and female as the Gods are.

Gen. 1:26, 27

26, "Let us make man in our image, after our likeness. Let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, the birds of the air, and the cattle, and over all the wild animals and all the creatures that crawl on the ground."

Gen 27 tells us the image of the Elohiym is MALE and FEMALE. We are talking the original God and Goddess.

27, And Elohiym/God & Goddess created humankind in THEIR image, In the image of Elohiym/God & Goddess created THEY them; MALE and FEMALE created they them.

Something else that I found interesting in Gen. 27:

The word they have translated as “HIM,” is 846 ushsharna, which means tall and straight, or upright.

It is from 833 asher, remember those Sacred Groves of the Goddess with their tall straight trees, and Her tall straight image?

833 sends us to 842 Asherah/Ashtoreth, the Hebrew Goddess and consort of El!

Also the word translated as “He” is 1931 huw/hiy means they, he, she, herself, who, which, etc.

Obviously since they used the plural Elohiym, they, whom, or which, would be more accurate!

The male and female are in THEIR ELOHIYM image = male and female.

^^Partially correct.

It's more than just god and goddess though, it's likely referring to the entire "Heavenly host", not just two gods of one male and female but many, if not hundreds or thousands. And we can see that the "gods" were in fact described as looking like humans, though perhaps much larger in some of the early writings.

The early midrash and writings seem to indicate that the "gods" (angels) were in fact being referenced, not just THE (articulated) God (who is the "god of the gods").

Last edited:

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
^^Partially correct.

It's more than just god and goddess though, it's likely referring to the entire "Heavenly host", not just two gods of one male and female but many, if not hundreds or thousands. And we can see that the "gods" were in fact described as looking like humans, though perhaps much larger in some of the early writings.

The early midrash and writings seem to indicate that the "gods" (angels) were in fact being referenced, not just THE (articulated) God (who is the "god of the gods").

I don't agree with the "Royal We" idea. We know they had a God and a Goddess - they use the plural Elohiym - and the result is both male and female. As far as I know there are no other females mentioned in the Host.

In other words a MALE God and MALE host don't have an image that is male AND FEMALE.

Me Myself

Back to my username
I don't agree with the "Royal We" idea. We know they had a God and a Goddess - they use the plural Elohiym - and the result is both male and female. As far as I know there are no other females mentioned in the Host.

In other words a MALE God and MALE host don't have an image that is male AND FEMALE.

Yes, there was El, there was Asherea, there was Bal.

Plenty of gods then. We cannot say without doubt that it was "we" because of royal.

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
^^Partially correct.

Yes, there was El, there was Asherea, there was Bal.

Plenty of gods then. We cannot say without doubt that it was "we" because of royal.

We know the Hebrew worshiped Asherah, so they had a God and Goddess, which would account for the "elohiym" creating in their image, male and female.